SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
FHF - Forest Hill Food - MAKE IT!
Scorpion

23-10-2007 10:59 PM

This thread is for Recipes - dinner/tea and snacks etc - to eat in SE23 - anything food-wise, made by your own hand! - add yours! Thankyou.

RECIPE:- SNACK - CHEESE, RED PEPPER & RED ONION PANINI

(Preferably, you need a sandwich toaster or grilling machine to make this)

INGREDIENTS:-
A Panini
A Red Onion (chopped, amount depends on taste, at least half)
Cheese (sliced, strength, dependant on taste, at least 4 slices)
Quarter of a Red Pepper, chopped

METHOD:-
Cut the Panini in half
Spread the chopped onion and red pepper over the two halves.
Put slices of cheese over the onion and pepper
Place in grilling machine for a few minutes (at least 2, up to about 4, dependant on strength, but machines vary)

YUMMY and QUICK!

You can make an assortment of Panini based snacks, with many other ingredients.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hilltopgeneral

24-10-2007 11:28 AM

In Forest Hill we prefer cheese and onion toasties.

Andy

24-10-2007 12:19 PM

I'm all for this idea. Maybe we should have a whole separate group. SE23, Beyond SE23 and FOOD.

I have no particular loyalties here but I am quite fond of The Honor Oak for some grub. Unpretentious, not too expensive and nice.

Dotcom

24-10-2007 03:25 PM

Its supposed to be a recipe isn't it?

Chips with melted cheese?

:P

Andy

25-10-2007 09:55 AM

Fish finger sandwiches girl!

Dotcom

25-10-2007 10:04 AM

Fish finger sandwiches? Yum!

Last night, sliced an aubergine, fried it in LOTS of olive oil 'til golden brown both sides, dried it off for a tick on kitchen roll, chucked it into a shallow oven proof dish, seasoned it, poured on a can (yes a can) of chopped tomatoes, covered it with mozarella, chucked it in the oven 15 minutes (200c). So easy and so tasty.

Ooperlooper

25-10-2007 10:35 PM

Not exactly a recipe, but here's my favourite Forest Hill dinner party menu:

- - -

Aperitif:
Cheesewax souffl? with a confit of elk breath.

Main course:
Briskets of smoked oak table leg drizzled in stoat butter and served on a bed of hot nuns' pants.

Dessert:
Chocolate Diego Maradonas gently draped over a cone of jellied elephant urine.

- - -

I do sometimes struggle to get some of the ingredients in Sainsbury's though, at which times I substitute with cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks.

Johnc

26-10-2007 09:46 AM

Last night I fried off a duck leg in a pan until crisp and golden. Boiled some Anya spuds until just cooked before rolling them in the residue duck fat. Had enough fat still in the pan for a slice of fried bread to hoover up the remaining crispy bits. Served with a sprikling of fresh chopped parsly over the potato. You could hear my arteries harden as I ate it, but went down a treat with a glass or 3 of an earthy spanish red

Scorpion

26-10-2007 10:50 PM

One reply here to a few of the postings since I posted first in this thread, to save multi posts/boredom of reading lol

Ooh yes! Can't beat a lovely toasted sarnie, for sure. The Panini recipe is for a "posh" toastie (to HTG)

TY Andy - hope others like it too and contribute - after all, everyone has to eat, and cook food, sometimes, too.
I only ever eat fish fingers in a sarnie, with either ketchup or tartar sauce - YUMMY!

Dotcom - I love grated cheese on chips! (especially when chips with cheese & ketchup in a sarnie lol)
The aubergine, toms & cheese dish sounds delicious and I will try that soon, thanks for the recipe (and also for my HB greeting from you on another thread - had a quiet one, home with my sons, watching movies ;o) TY - mentioned it here to save bringing up that thread, as now is past)

Another recipe here, that maybe some could put to good use (its vegetarian, cheap, filling and makes your mouth water whilst cooking):-

Great for Lunch OR Dinner - POTATO BAKE

900g (2lb) Potatoes
450g (1lb) Leeks
450g (1lb) Courgettes
2 cloves of Garlic
300ml (? pint) Vegetable Stock
225g (8oz) Button Mushrooms
1 large Onion
160g (6oz) Cheddar Cheese grated
50g (2oz) Butter
25g (1oz) Plain Flour
3 tbsp Milk
2 tsp Paprika

Cut the potato into cubes, slice the leeks, onion and courgettes.
Boil the potatoes in salted water for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
Drain and mash with the milk, half the cheese and half the butter.
Heat the remaining butter in a large pan and fry the leeks and onion for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
Add the courgettes, mushrooms and paprika and fry for a further 2 minutes. Add the (crushed) garlic and fry for a further 1 minute.
Sprinkle in the flour, then slowly add the stock and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
Cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
Pre-heat oven to 200?C; 400?F: Gas 6.
Spoon the vegetable mixture into an ovenproof dish and cover with the potato mixture, sprinkling with the remaining cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is crisp and golden brown.

You can also make a potato bake, with some other (vegetables of your choice) ingredients and instead of the mashed potato, after par-boiling and cooling the potatoes a bit, slice them and use in layers, alternately, with chopped tomatoes, onions (and, if wanted, garlic) herbs (or other spices) cheese sauce (or grated cheese or mozzarella chunks)

MMmmm! Especially nice with GOOD crusty bread and butter. Enjoy!

Sue

michael

26-10-2007 11:34 PM

On the yummy and quick theme: Smoked Salmon Pasta

Ingredients (serves 2):
Smoked Salmon Trimmings (1 packet Sainsburys Basics)
Single Cream - 300ml
Pasta (best with linguine)
Fresh Dill
Sundried tomatoes (for the authentic East Dulwich feel)

Method:
Cook pasta
Add the sundried tomatoes and dill to the cream with some black pepper. Heat cream for about 5 minutes on a slow heat until it begins to bubble and thicken
Drain pasta and throw remaining ingredients in the pan with the pasta and pour on the cream

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Make Art, Make Stories. Grow Mayow this Sunday Mayow Park 0 2,659 26-09-2014 06:51 PM
Last Post: Mayow Park