SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Burglary - sunday night / monday morning (13th jan)
smithsmith

14-01-2014 02:26 PM

Hi everyone

I have only just moved into the area and am very sorry to say that unfortunately I was burgled on Sunday night. The only thing which was taken was my Mac laptop and the police said that there have been many reports of similar burglaries taking place nearby (I live near Forest Hill School). Apparently the burglars come round in the early hours of the morning while people are asleep trying doors to see if there are any which arent double locked and then take anything they can quickly get their hands on. I have an almost new PVC door which automatically locks when you put the handle up but apparently there is a weakness in this door which can be exploited to open it using a screwdriver. If you have a similar door you must remember to double lock it using the key on the inside to prevent this from happening.

I do hope that there are not too many others who have had a similar misfortune!

Sophie

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gbrownings

14-01-2014 05:23 PM

ThumbdownThumbdown

Sorry to read this, but glad nobody was hurt.

BT

15-01-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:
..automatically locks when you put the handle up..

I don't think so!

Putting the handle up only engages the locking tabs it doesn't lock the door. You must turn the key to lock it, from the inside as well as the outside. If you don't turn the key the villain doesn't need a screwdriver he just needs to push the handle down.

This post was last modified: 15-01-2014 08:11 AM by BT.

ringingcod

15-01-2014 10:49 AM

Not necessarily. My external handle is never engaged so you can only open from the outside with a key whether the door's "locked" or not.

smithsmith

15-01-2014 11:19 AM

The door was locked by putting the handle up but only by the one bolt and not all 5. The burglar clearly knew this type of door and so used a screwdriver to get round the bolt. I will definitely be double locking my door from now on!

BT

25-01-2014 12:26 PM

My external handle is never engaged so you can only open from the outside with a key whether the door's "locked" or not.

I have been following a similar topic on another Forum and this is a quote from a locksmith about these type of door locks, and reinforces what I said previously.

Quote:
Having been a locksmith for most of my working life I can confirm all you say, pushing up the handles only engages a set of rollers and hookbolts to to partly secure the door, the key has to be turned to lock handles, I would not advise fitting a turnbutton cylinder on any door with a letter box close by. This used to be a favourite method of entry throughout the trade.

Brooksie

27-01-2014 10:37 AM

Sorry to hear about your Burglary. We were burgled 24/1 at night despite all doors being locked with security lights. The lights were disabled by knocking the motion sensor so it faced the wall. The doors were smashed four racing bikes stolen (see other post) The local community policeman said the moving of the sensor he has noticed in a number of recent burglaries. If they See what they want even a locked door does not stop them.

Sherwood

27-01-2014 04:50 PM

I have received the victim support booklet through my letterbox today as there have been burglaries in my area.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Honor Oak Women's Institute - next meeting Monday, 13th April HonorOakWI 0 3,428 09-04-2015 06:54 PM
Last Post: HonorOakWI
  Why are all HOP eateries closed on Monday night 17/2/14? milliemop 5 5,970 19-02-2014 09:53 PM
Last Post: milliemop
  Apple Day at Devonshire Road Nature Reserve - Sunday 13th Oct Stevefx 0 3,416 03-10-2013 08:48 PM
Last Post: Stevefx
  Car Break-in - Honor Oak Rise - Sunday night onetreehouse 0 3,431 18-03-2013 03:12 PM
Last Post: onetreehouse
  Large Police Presence - Sunday night ChrisR 21 22,940 22-09-2008 05:01 PM
Last Post: Baboonery