SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Junction of London Road and Honor Oak Road
carole

18-10-2014 04:34 PM

Re Honor Oak Road/Forest Hill Road: there are several problems
1. It is often very difficult for traffic to turn out of Honor Oak Road into FH Road, and the bend plus long wait can provoke drivers into taking risks.
2. There are 2 schools very close plus other pedestrians who need to cross safely at a junction where traffic is concentrating on just getting out into FH Road or turning into Honor Oak Road.
3. As I understand it, this junction doesn't come under TfL authority, but is at the border of Lewisham and Southwark who don't seem to talk to each other.

With reference to the comment that traffic would have to stop to allow pedestrians to cross - what's wrong with that? No-one takes any notice of the Highway Code any more and pedestrians can't fly.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Perryman

19-10-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:
With reference to the comment that traffic would have to stop to allow pedestrians to cross - what's wrong with that? No-one takes any notice of the Highway Code any more and pedestrians can't fly.

Nothing is wrong with that.
I was merely quoting tfl's lame excuse why they cannot consider a controlled crossing at the junction at the London Rd end.

gbrownings

13-11-2014 10:28 AM

Sooner they get on with proposed road improvements the better.

Looked like a nasty accident involving several cars and a motorcyclist at this (London Road) junction around 6pm last night.

Hope everyone was OK.

Snazy

13-11-2014 02:18 PM

No one looked too badly injured when I was there, motorcyclist was up and moving. Always going to be a bad junction, but I still hate that second un-attached set of lights close by. To me they should be part of the same system, as when approaching from the station end of London Road you think you have green, and suddenly stationary traffic.
Sight lines are horrible too.

michael

13-11-2014 02:43 PM

Snazy,
The pelican crossing east of the junction is phased with the lights at the junction. The lights only ever go red when the lights on London Road are also on red.

When no pedestrians wish to cross they remain green even when the junction lights are red, so this may be the cause of the confusion. However, I don't think I've seen any cars make this mistake. Certainly far more common to see people jumping the lights when coming out of the petrol station and thinking that the red light doesn't apply to them.

Londondrz

13-11-2014 03:13 PM

I saw a gent turning right from the London Road onto Honour Oak overtake a car waiting to do the same, then cut across right without indicating and almost take out a car heading towards FH. It is, in the wrong hands, a dreadful junction.

AMFM

13-11-2014 06:23 PM

It's an appalling junction and one I avoid like the plague on my bike. Coming down the hill towards FH, I'm going just as fast as any of the motorised traffic and very diberately ride in the middle of the lane but I've still lost count of the number of idiots who think it's acceptable to overtake me at speed and then cut across me to turn left into Honor Oak Road.

This is a hazard for cyclists at pretty much every junction in London but for some reaon (and maybe it's because of the speed on the downhill) it's the one that scares me most.

kipya

14-11-2014 08:29 PM

I saw FOUR cars turn through the no-entry sign on Manor Mount, this evening in the space of about 5 minutes. One nearly hit a motor-cyclist turning right from Waldenshaw Road who wasn't expecting a car coming the wrong way down a one-way street.

The lights are so short at the junction of London Road that there is no significant movement and drivers become impatient. Longer lights, say 15-20 seconds instead of the current 8, might alleviate the problem at little cost?

rymerster

14-11-2014 09:17 PM

Anything would be an improvement, as I said earlier in the year, many blind people living at Bradbury Oak House use that junction as Sainsburys is the nearest decent sized supermarket, and I know many are just taking it on faith that it's safe to cross. I'm all for people being independent but I've seen some near misses. Even as a sighted person, the number of drivers who don't signal when turning left makes this junction a dodgy one.

jenros

17-11-2014 11:39 PM

Living in Manor Mount I am horrified at the number of cars that come down from HOR. The worst time is usually from the afternoon school run until the rush hour is finished. Occasionally there is a police presence there but not often enough. The council do not seem to be interested, perhaps they are waiting for someone to be killed. There have been assaults on residents who have remonstrated with these drivers.

kipya

18-11-2014 12:31 AM

A while ago I was narrowly missed by a car driving through the no entry sign on Manor Mount, as I was crossing the road. I phoned the police who said I had to go to Catford Police Station to report it. I said that was miles away and would take ages, could I not phone, or email, or send a letter? Well, I could go to Brockley Police Station if I wanted but that was only open on Tuesday and Thursday lunchtimes (or some such restriction). I said that was a tad inconvenient too as I would be at work. So, if I could not go and wait in Catford to report it, then no report could be made. I complained to the Met about this and received a VERY sniffy letter back, which could be summed up as "Tough."

If the Council are not interested and the Police are not interested then there is nothing to stop people driving through no entry signs and as jenros observes, someone may end up being seriously injured or killed. The reality is that it does seem a pretty dangerous thing to do, and so selfish on the part of those drivers.

gbrownings

18-11-2014 01:01 AM

As I understand it, minor breaches of traffic regulations (as would be considered driving down a one-way street) have for some years not been something the police concern themselves with unless they witness seriously dangerous driving. Enforcement is now with TfL and local authorities (as it is generally their road traffic regulations being breached).

I wrote to Lewisham a couple of months ago expressing my concerns about motorists (and cyclists) ignoring the one-way restrictions in Manor Mount and this was their response....

Thank you for your email.

NSL - Lewisham's Parking enforcement services, are aware of this issue. Unfortunately NSL have limited resources and therefore cannot assign the mobile CCTV vehicle to patrol individual roads all day or react immediately to every call they receive relating to vehicles driving in contravention of the parking regulations. However I have asked NSL to step up enforcement at this location.

To contact them directly please email:

Lewishamparkingenforcement@nslservices.co.uk

I hope this is helpful.

Transport Policy & Development
Casework
4th Floor
Laurence House
Catford Rd
Lewisham SE6 4RU

Not made a blind bit of difference. The only way it will stop is if the traffic management of the Honor Oak Road junction with London Road is sorted so cars are not backed up Honor Oak Road all the way to the Manor Mount entrance.

Until then, the temptation to nip down Manor Mount, in the almost certain knowledge it will go unpunished, is clearly too much for some.

Perryman

18-11-2014 11:06 AM

If it is that important, then why don't the council install those alligator teeth direction enforcement strips as fitted in car parks?

I suggest that 99% of drivers obey the instruction, and so the restriction is already doing its job in keeping Daivds Rd clear of traffic jams.

They could draw give way road markings to let Waldenshaw Rd traffic have right of way further down, if that is the real problem here.
The road is not, strictly speaking, one-way at this point is it?

Londondrz

18-11-2014 11:46 AM

Jenros, the issue is that it is not only drivers taking the easy way out, some of the people who live on Manor Mount do the same. I have seen two local residents come out of their drives and drive the wrong way down the road in the last two weeks.

If the people who live on Manor Mount are dumb enough to do it then we may as well give up and accept it.

Decker

18-11-2014 11:51 AM

I don't understand - isn't Manor mount 2 way except for entering from Honor Oak Road? Ie: if you live at the top of Manor mount you can go any direction you like?

Londondrz

18-11-2014 12:05 PM

No, not at all, it is one way from the top of Manor Mount till The Fieldings. You can turn left as you exit The Fieldings but not from any higher. It's very clearly sign posted all the way up Manor Mount.

Decker

18-11-2014 12:13 PM

Cheers thanks for that clarification.

Londondrz

18-11-2014 12:48 PM

No problem.

gbrownings

18-11-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:
Jenros, the issue is that it is not only drivers taking the easy way out, some of the people who live on Manor Mount do the same. I have seen two local residents come out of their drives and drive the wrong way down the road in the last two weeks.

If the people who live on Manor Mount are dumb enough to do it then we may as well give up and accept it.

Name (house number) and shame....Angry

Some may understand and even excuse people/residents doing this but in my view it is particularly dangerous.

People walking down Manor Mount, crossing the road or motorists turning out of Waldenshaw Road are not expecting vehicles coming down the hill - cars which are often going particularly quickly down what is a very steep road.

Londondrz

19-11-2014 01:02 PM

Would name and shame but then will get shouted at by a few on here who don't like that kind of thing. Lets just say on was a dark blue car and the other gold.Cool

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  27 London Road PollyMArtin 2 1,945 15-08-2023 11:02 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  London Road/Honor Oak Road roadworks again rbmartin 4 2,889 02-03-2023 07:53 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Thames Water failure - Honor Oak Road samuelsen 1 2,679 30-09-2022 09:18 PM
Last Post: Herbparis
  Planning: Honor Oak Reservoir & 116-118 Canonbie Road jaradras 19 26,492 15-04-2021 09:35 AM
Last Post: jgdoherty
  Total gridlock as @thameswater’s tri-annual water feature on London Road samuelsen 3 4,760 07-02-2019 03:59 PM
Last Post: johnfbw
  Forthcoming Thames Water works (London Road) samuelsen 0 3,020 04-02-2019 03:30 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  New Street Art in London Road Snazy 0 3,388 06-09-2018 10:11 AM
Last Post: Snazy
  Police close Honor Oak Park road due to overturned car hillview 0 3,866 10-07-2018 08:38 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Police hunting Honor Oak Road sex attacker hillview 4 15,652 25-06-2018 05:07 PM
  Honor Oak Road closed localbigwig 1 4,424 24-02-2018 09:18 PM
  Failed TW temp traffic lights - Honor Oak Road samuelsen 5 6,950 17-01-2018 07:47 PM
Last Post: Hillman
  Unsafe looking wall London road nottinghillbilly 1 3,391 10-03-2017 11:32 PM
Last Post: Hillman
  Smashed shop windows London Road nottinghillbilly 4 6,140 17-01-2017 04:36 PM
Last Post: humbolt
  Male throwing knives in London Road, Forest Hill hillview 1 4,842 12-01-2017 10:58 AM
  Water leak, junction Westwood Pk/Canonbie Road samuelsen 6 7,980 11-12-2016 12:26 PM
  Honor Oak Road lorry ban petition - pls sign mamm 26 22,406 05-08-2016 07:14 PM
Last Post: Devonish Forester
  Parcels Stolen on Whatman Road Honor Oak pericles 3 5,260 09-05-2016 02:05 PM
Last Post: ibis10
  What are the pink Post-It flags on Honor Oak Road? shzl400 1 4,073 30-04-2016 10:20 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Rush hour traffic accident in Forest Hill Road, Honor Oak admin 1 5,564 29-04-2016 07:58 PM
  36 Honor Oak Road (ex Hamilton Lodge Care Home) jaradras 224 189,019 12-04-2016 11:55 AM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex