SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
TfL Contactless payment pilot scheme - Invitation to Participate
michael

09-01-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:
TfL will shortly be undertaking a trial of contactless bankcards for payment on the tube.

We are looking for 5,000 people across London with contactless bankcards who regularly use the tube to participate in the trial.

We would like you to consider taking part in the trial if you have a contactless bankcard. Further details are in the attachment.

Probably best for people who are frequent users of PAYG on London Overground as well as other forms of transport.

Link to apply https://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/project...29023.aspx

.pdf File  Contactless Payment Pilot.pdf (Size: 54.66 KB / Downloads: 565)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ryananglem

10-01-2014 02:02 PM

This is really exciting for me, as I am part of the team working on this solution and it has been a huge amount of work. It is though satisfying to see something like this come out and put London at the forefront of integrated travel solutions in the world.

Unbelievably I cant participate, because my bank hasn't issued me with a contactless payment card yet!

marshall2k

10-01-2014 02:06 PM

The weekly cap is an interesting development, I will be watching with interest!

Applespider

10-01-2014 06:58 PM

Weekly cap is interesting although it is a pity that it's not a rolling 7 days as a Travelcard could be.

I'd be interested in the trial but the fact that it won't count buses towards the cap since I also take a bus often to get to the Tube.

Ryan - do you know if there's any scope now that more people are using Oyster or contactless card for them to implement a solution that would allow people using a bus to connect to a Tube line to only pay for a single fare rather than being charged for both journeys. It feels unfair that you can jump on the DLR/Tube/train and then interchange as much as you like for a single fare but do that on a bus and you're stung for each trip. Even if the system had to process to take account of the dearest fare within that hour, it would feel a fairer way of fares

rshdunlop

10-01-2014 07:02 PM

Applespider - it's the same if you change buses. You have to pay for every change. In other places I've lived you could change buses for free if it was within an hour of your first payment. I agree it would be a much fairer system.

ryananglem

11-01-2014 03:19 PM

The bus timed fare is a good idea, would be possible, and I believe a green candidate pledged this in one of the recent mayoral elections, but it requires leadership containing intelligence and foresight- departments which I'm sad to say our current mayor is sadly lacking. The 'dangleway' over the Thames is an obvious example.

However, I was recently in Tokyo and the transport system there while clean, punctual and frequent is a bit of a mess when it comes to paying for tickets, in some cases you cant exit gates unless you buy a separate ticket, and some lines require different tickets!

Glasshalffull

11-01-2014 07:19 PM

Some might say that the current mayor would appear to have both intelligence and foresight. He has got you working on a system that is going to make it easier for him to make hundreds possibly thousands of workers in ticket offices and stations redundant.

I look forward to the arguments between Boris Johnson and Bob Crowe.

Sherwood

12-01-2014 04:54 PM

My money is on Boris!

This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 04:54 PM by Sherwood.

Benderish

12-01-2014 07:22 PM

After the treatment my wife received and the lack of ability to perform what was a basic function at Sydenham today, I don't think it's a great loss that the ticket offices are closing...

ryananglem

13-01-2014 10:22 AM

Interesting to see the opinions of people from the outside looking in, and how people are happy to have Boris spend millions of taxpayers money on a disused cable car, unsafe blue paint on the roads and overpriced buses and bikes when useful initiatives are cancelled and real people are potentially losing their jobs (the reality is that they are probably not really, and positions will simply not be replaced as people retire or move on). All because he is a bit of a laugh.

Baboonery

13-01-2014 11:56 AM

Having spent Xmas in the Netherlands, I envy the efficiency of their nationally applied Oyster equivalent, the OV Chipkaart. Oh, and, you know, operators not bragging about providing no service for a week and actually providing a service instead.

But as you say, leadership.

Sherwood

13-01-2014 01:00 PM

The Boris bus costs £28,500 more than other buses.

An additional cost is the extra member of staff required, i.e. the conductor. Many people seem quite upset that he is employing additional staff on the buses!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields