SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Loud party noise
miller

28-06-2008 05:42 PM

It has been such an amazing day and I have really wanted to enjoy being in my garden, but loud music has been playing all afternoon from a house on honor Oak Park road with an ever increasing noise level / base level. Is anyone else experiencing this? The base is so loud that it is vibrating my flat.

I called the police but they said noise pollution is now an issue with environmental health, however they are closed at the weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

28-06-2008 06:32 PM

I have great sympathy. I used to live in Devonshire and recall a simalar disturbance last year.
So there is nothing in the law we can do if the noise does not happen in working hours. This is an absolute disgrace. There are many instances where people at the end of their tether take the law into their own hands. Then of course the police rush round.
There used to people you could call 24/7 to monitor noise , what the dickens has happened to them .

miller

28-06-2008 07:05 PM

A success! I called Lewisham council and within half an hour they have come out and are now on their way round to quieten the noise!

For anyone else with noise complaints in the area, call Lewisham council switchboard on 02083146000

Ghis

28-06-2008 08:07 PM

Wow. I sympathise if you live near it as I walked past the place at 7:30pm coming back from the haidresser on the parade and coul not belive how loud that music was.

ForestGump

28-06-2008 08:35 PM

Earlier this week I came home at 10.30pm not to loud neighbours but extremely loud music coming 2 streets away with a park in between.

I phoned the Town Hall switchboard they said nothing could be done before 11pm, maybe it's different at weekends?

As you indicated we are not talking about a neighbour playing music a bit loud these are incidents of extremely loud music wafting over a large area. I think the police are wrong not to take an interest as these sort of situations can easily escalate.

miller

28-06-2008 08:46 PM

You're right, there isn't much they can do before 11pm other than ask them to turn it down. I am going to have to wait until then to get the council to come out once more as the music has just gone ridiculous!

ForestGump

28-06-2008 09:38 PM

You'll possibly find the noise makers know about the curfew and stop at 11pm, that happened in the incident I reported.

You'd think with noise level meters it would be possible to make it illegal to have music/noise above a certain level and not have to wait till 11pm.

brian

29-06-2008 08:03 AM

I 100% agree , it is amazing how a few anti social people can cause so many problems.
Very loud music should be illegal all all times.
I know from personal experience how bad this can be . I am sure this can and does cause some confrontations and violence.

miller

29-06-2008 04:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your support. The music did turn off at 11pm.

brian

29-06-2008 04:54 PM

That is something but this is not right.

How many citizens like yourself had a terrible evening and afternoon because of 1 house. From what you were saying would run into hundreds.
Surely people do not have the right to cause this much disruption just because it is before 11pm.
If it happens to me will call police. If they say will not come out will say have seen someone approach their front door with a baseball bat.

Sherwood

06-07-2008 02:03 PM

It is possible to take some action before 11.00 p.m..
The health and safety inspectors in our office borrowed a noise meter from Environmental Health. They said noise above a certain decibel level was unacceptable during the day because it could damage your hearing.

baggydave

06-07-2008 09:08 PM

Ah the Walters Way Street Party. Once a year, every year. I am sure you can forgive them for that. Nice chilled out music late on - perfect to relax to.

BD had two contrasting experiences whilst in Sydenham. Firstly neighbours next door (young couple) put a note through the door saying they were having a party. After looking at it from every direction and reading between every line I still could not see the invite. Well I was glad not to go as you could not hear a thing, so could not have been very good. Then there was the party downstairs. We went down when we heard the music, to find no one else there to be told that the sound system had not arrived yet, and people would then turn up. Forget subsidance, it was the sound system.

And then there was the gay firework party - not sordid, but just fun for a number of ways. But I digress.

brian

09-07-2008 12:10 PM

I am not sure just because it is once a year it is acceptable.
If every street had a party with loud ( music ) once a year then every weekend would be terrible.
There cannot be any acceptable reason for music as loud as reported whether once a year or not.

Ghis

09-07-2008 12:32 PM

Nothing to do with Walters Way. It was at the end of Honor Oak Park, just before the lights.

baggydave

09-07-2008 10:49 PM

Glad that the Walters Way street party did not offend.

But living near to the Horniman Gardens I used to enjoy hearing music on Sundays in the summer's. Quite often I would go and check out the eclectic source. Added real value to the area. But some of the moaning Minnies living next door to the park complained about the volume. It was hardly ganster rap.

Ghis

10-07-2008 07:37 AM

Hey baggy I am like you but when I walked pass that house I was just amazed that people could actually manage to enjoy the music. The speakers were struggling and it mostly was extremly loud bass and the whole neighbourhood vibrating. Anyone at the epicentre of this now probably has got some serious hearing damage.

brian

10-07-2008 08:19 AM

I agree
The big question is why no one in authority was able to shut the noise down before they choose to end it at 2300 hours. I am hoping a councillor will advise on this.

ForestGump

10-07-2008 09:53 AM

By chance I found this relating to noise in Lewisham.

In the case I referred to the music wasn't not gently wafting over the garden fence, it was at a volume that was intimidating across a vast area.

I would estimate over a hundred households were directly affected, so it wasn't a case of a neighbour having a slightly loud party.

baggydave

10-07-2008 11:08 PM

If we are talking about offensive base and your stomach starts churning then some car stereos manage to achive this.

Re: my earlier posting, chill guys, as my old friends on this site know most of the time I am simply being witty and irreverent.

And if you see an earlier thread of mine at least the twit (being polite) across the road has stopped setting his car alarm off in the early hours - even BD didn't find that amusing.

ForestGump

19-07-2008 04:45 PM

Here is part of a reply given to Councillor Phoenix on 30 June, where she asked a question relating to noise.

Quote:
Reply:
Noise nuisance can be reported directly to the Environmental Health Enforcement Team or if it occurs in our housing stock reporting is often via our housing management partners (Lewisham Homes, Dunlop Haywards and Regenter B3)

The Environmental Enforcement team received 4,566 complaints between 1 April 2007 and 31 March 2008 regarding noisy or nuisance neighbours. Of these 99% of enquiries were responded to within 30 minutes.

In the case of environmental enforcement it is difficult to identify cases which last longer than 3 months. For example a single party only lasts an evening. If another is held the following weekend, then it is counted as a new occurrence of noise nuisance. This is to ensure that we respond to the complaint in the specified time scales......

In the case I outlined the council switchboard said I couldn't register a complaint before 11pm. Does the 30 minute claim refer to when the complaint is made or from when a complaint is accepted?

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields