SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] Last »
Pedestrian crossings: London Road junction - railing removal
Londondrz

09-07-2015 04:18 PM

Would agree that the placing of the posts on the island is stupid and creates an unnecessary pinch point.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stepover

09-07-2015 05:11 PM

I don't agree that the junction is confusing, but that doesn't prevent it for being unfit for purpose. In particular, separating a relatively narrow road into two separate crossings, each on its own timer is ridiculous particularly given the volume of people who cross there due to the station. At peak times in the morning and evening it is not uncommmon to see 20 or 30 people trying to squeeze onto the island in the middle of the road (which can comfortably hold about 6 people). This is clearly dangerous and ridiculous and it's not the pedestrians fault.

The junction needs to be redesigned so that each of the three main crossing points are not separated into two (I believe there are currently actually 6 pedestrian crossings in total to cross 3 bits of road). So that when you get a green man you are able at each point to cross the entire width of road.

I would favour the timing they have at Oxford Circus junction where ALL pedestrian parts are red and each lane of traffic gets its turn. Then there is a 30 second period when ALL traffic is red and ALL pedestrian lights turn green (with a helpful count down timer). I think this is the solution.

Snazy

09-07-2015 05:25 PM

Londondrz... Doesn't it just. Is it just me or is the gap stupidly small?
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this yet (unless I missed it)

Agreed stepover.

Not sure if you recall, but many moons ago the crossing phase outside WH Smiths was indeed one single crossing phase. Worked much better, but required ALL traffic to stop. I assume this was changed to a phased crossing to allow traffic movement.

Personally I say the sacrifice of stopping all traffic is worth it in this limited space environment.
Its the only direction that needs a single crossing phase.

Could even have a turn right only phase during this time, allowing traffic which has to wait an eternity to turn right (onto Dartmouth) normally.

Aaah the good old days ....

This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 05:28 PM by Snazy.

Perryman

10-07-2015 11:12 AM

Amongst all the nips and bites, snazy has hit on a good idea here:
have a permanent crossing guard or policemen.
If he sees a significant build up on the reservation, then he simply stops the traffic to let them cross, regardless of whose turn it is.

Generally I think we all want to see more of a police presence to deter crime, and one stood in the middle of the south circ by the station could hardly be more prominent. Just like the good old days.

The careless crossers could be told to watch-it, and cars stopping on the crossing could have their side-windows vigorously rapped. Cars jumping the lights could have a failure to stop £1000 fine added to the charge.

I've not used the new island but i am hardly surprised.
The message to the disabled, old and parents of the young is very clear now: get in your cars or on the bus and shop somewhere else.

Pages (6): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pedestrian signals consultation - junction by Harvester SMCCColts 3 4,720 09-10-2018 07:42 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Water leak, junction Westwood Pk/Canonbie Road samuelsen 6 7,878 11-12-2016 12:26 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Junction of London Road and Honor Oak Road michael 58 53,190 26-06-2015 06:14 PM
Last Post: gbrownings
  London Road / Sydenham Hill Junction michael 0 3,725 16-10-2014 04:15 PM
Last Post: michael
  Stanstead Road / Brockley Rise junction lights. Snazy 39 39,908 10-07-2014 09:49 AM
Last Post: BringOutTheCranston
  Traffic made worse at junction of Forest Hill Road, Canonbie Road and Wood Vale? Triangle 7 11,236 14-01-2014 11:28 AM
Last Post: Londondrz