SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Pedestrian crossings: London Road junction - railing removal
Perryman

06-03-2014 12:53 PM

We can only hope with a large crowd of pedestrians precariously balanced at the very edge of the pavement, that drivers take more care at this junction.

In other boroughs where these barriers have been removed, pedestrian accidents have gone down so it is not impossible that drivers will actually be more careful.

It is counter intuitive but in the same way, if pedestrians on the island were blindfolded and made to hop up and down on roller skates, alarmed drivers might take even more care and the chance of a serious accident might reduce further.

But that does not mean it is the right thing to do - that was identified in 2003 with a islandless 1 phase crossing.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

06-03-2014 02:17 PM

I like the less cluttered look but given how the old barriers got banged up and replaced after being hit I do worry about that junction.

michael

06-03-2014 05:04 PM

I've been told twice by TfL that the pedestrian barriers between the station and launderette would not be removed, they even sent me updated diagrams just a couple of days ago.

Quote:
Therefore we have taken the decision to leave the pedestrian guard rail in place at present because we feel that the benefit of not having the furniture on this island would be diluted by other factors.

If they have removed these barriers after agreeing that it would not be entirely safe to do so without better consideration of the junction, then I'm going to be rather irritated, and will be asking them to carry out a full review of this junction immediately.

Angry

edpaff

06-03-2014 05:50 PM

Could be temporary, although they do seem to have plugged the leg holes with paving. Perhaps the contractors picked the wrong crossing (most of the other guard railing still seems to be in place)...

BringOutTheCranston

06-03-2014 08:22 PM

I suspect the contractors didn't think and just took down all the barriers.

Or more cynically this is now a fait accompli and you'll never hear from tfl again about plans to redesign the whole junction.

michael

07-03-2014 10:38 AM

Here is what I wrote to TfL this morning:

Quote:
Following the assurance I have been provided on the 3rd February, the 27th February,and the 4th March that the pedestrian guard rails would not be removed from the traffic island outside Forest Hill station, yesterday morning they were removed.

I have attached the diagram provided to me on the 4th March which show the blue barriers on the crossing were to be retained, and I also attach a photograph taken yesterday evening with the barriers removed.

This is despite your assurance that "...we now feel that the junction would benefit more from a general/overall review rather than elements. Therefore we have taken the decision to leave the pedestrian guard rail in place at present because we feel that the benefit of not having the furniture on this island would be diluted by other factors."

I would like to understand why these barriers were removed against the review of the decision you had previously taken, and what steps will be taken to urgently resolve the situation - either by reinstating the guard rails, or by carrying out an immediate investigation into safety at this junction and the best ways to properly improve safety for pedestrians at this important crossing for users of Forest Hill station and visitors to Horniman Museum.

I have copied in the local councillors and the Assembly Member for the area as I am dissatisfied with the way this work has been undertaken and the advice I have been given.

I will keep you informed about any response I get from TfL.

Anotherjohn

07-03-2014 06:38 PM

Good work Michael.
Thank you for doing this on our behalf.

michael

10-03-2014 05:21 PM

TfL customer services wrote:
Thank you for your further email bringing to our attention the removal of the pedestrian guard rails at the junction of Devonshire Road and London Road.

I have just received confirmation from our Assistant Route Manager that these rails were removed in error by one of our contractors. I would like to express my most sincere apologies for this and for any frustration and worry caused as a result.

Our contractors have been contacted and instructed to reinstate these guard rails within 28 days.

Once again I am very sorry and would like to thank you again for making us aware of this so quickly. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Benderish

10-03-2014 05:40 PM

They may as well leave them now and just get rid of all of them.

While I might not use that crossing everyday, the times I have used it over the last week (despite my initial condemnation of the removal), I've found it quite nice not to be all crowded in the little area and did not feel unsafe while standing there.

jenros

10-03-2014 05:49 PM

I was horrified on Saturday when on two seperate occassions I saw buggies being pushed diagonally across the junction. People don't always seem to have any common sense. With the number of lorries that use the South Circular as well as the rush hour traffic, I don't think it will be very long before we see a fatality there. The whole of central Forest Hill needs a re-think.

Benderish

10-03-2014 06:26 PM

True - there is a severe lack of common sense in general around the place..

michael

11-03-2014 11:28 AM

Benderish wrote:
They may as well leave them now and just get rid of all of them.

While I might not use that crossing everyday, the times I have used it over the last week (despite my initial condemnation of the removal), I've found it quite nice not to be all crowded in the little area and did not feel unsafe while standing there.

I certainly like the look of the new layout, but if they are not prepared to defend the safety of the removal of these railings, then it must be better for them to return, until they can remove the railings in conjunction with proper consideration for pedestrian safety. Earlier in this thread I suggested that TfL are experts and know what they are doing. I now completely retract any suggestion of their competence, and I apologise for misleading people.

Personally I always crossed outside of the fenced area as I prefer to dodge the traffic as the lights change, and I don't like queuing on a pedestrian island.

Yesterday I noticed a bike coming at me across this pedestrian island to go down to the subway. I'm not sure if this counts as a safety improvement on this pedestrian crossing.

rshdunlop

11-03-2014 11:33 AM

I think the real issue is not the railings or the lack of them, but the fact that you can't cross from the (old laundrette) to the station in one go. It's the wait in the middle that makes people do things that are not always safe, and they'll continue to do that whether the railings are there are not. In fact, without the railings its easier it hop back onto the island if you need to abort a between-lights manoeuvre.

rbmartin

11-03-2014 01:28 PM

The fact is that while the lights continue to phase at a point where it can take a good 2-3 minutes to cross the road, which can lead to missing trains, people will continue to take risks crossing from the island

The island needs to be scrapped with a straight forward crossing put in place.

Perryman

11-03-2014 02:49 PM

Has anyone got a copy of the Forest Hill Urban Design Framework 2003, that they could stick on here? In particular the pages on this crossing.

It apparently proposed a nice redesign of the junction which met the main concerns.

michael

11-03-2014 03:20 PM

The document comes in three sections. The third section is probably most relevant and is attached.
It took me a while to find it online (in my email archive from 2008), but I have the other two sections at home if you need them uploaded.

Attached File(s)
.pdf File  ForestHillUrbanDesignFrameworkandDevelopmentStrategyPages3443.pdf (Size: 688.9 KB / Downloads: 335)
Perryman

12-03-2014 03:19 AM

Thank you Michael - that is absolutely fascinating, especially the mention of the underpass lift access and the PV side improvements.

However, the main crossing does not get a mention in this section of the framework. (There might be more info in section 4.3.5.)

There is an artist's impression though, showing our barrier-less island and people waiting to cross, but there does not seem to be any pedestrian signalling at all at this point!
I think I'm meant to be ogling at the concept of the new station and plaza rather than crossing details.

Baboonery

13-03-2014 05:36 PM

Have now used this crossing in its new design, and don't like it at all.

Railings also removed at junction of Stanstead Rd/Cranston Rd/Brockley Rise, which is a much better idea, and one I fully support.

However, given that I've now passed my driving test, I think all of Forest Hill should probably want railings.Smile

Chris88

16-03-2014 12:37 PM

Oh they've put the railings back today.

One step forward, two steps back.

Statistically it's better not to have them. I guess the perception was too much for some people to handle and they complained.

Wrote a letter to say the intersection needs to be reviewed as a whole and money spent on making the island brighter, safer and better crossing sequence.

Probably won't hear anything back.

michael

17-03-2014 10:02 AM

Chris,
I was the one who complained, or at least expressed concern, hoping for some reassurance. Instead TfL, after a few weeks to respond, came back to me to tell me that these fences would not be removed. They offered no evidence to support their removal from this site, which makes me think that nobody had properly considered the implications prior to their decision to remove them.

Statistically crossings are safer without fences. I accept that, but statistics can hide a few details. How many of these fenceless crossings are in places where the main route makes a sweeping turn, as is the case here? And how many of these fenceless crossings had other work to improve safety?

I would welcome the removal of these fences as part of a well considered plan for this junction and the rather small pedestrian island. Some have suggested a full pedestrian phase at the junction, others have suggested better placement of filter lights and pedestrian signals, and a wider pedestrian island.

We are meant to see the other fences removed from the other islands at this junction (where fenceless crossings are more pleasant and unlikely to be any more dangerous). Unfortunately TfL used a contractor who cannot read maps or carry out simple instructions.

Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pedestrian signals consultation - junction by Harvester SMCCColts 3 4,733 09-10-2018 07:42 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Water leak, junction Westwood Pk/Canonbie Road samuelsen 6 7,952 11-12-2016 12:26 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Junction of London Road and Honor Oak Road michael 58 53,328 26-06-2015 06:14 PM
Last Post: gbrownings
  London Road / Sydenham Hill Junction michael 0 3,730 16-10-2014 04:15 PM
Last Post: michael
  Stanstead Road / Brockley Rise junction lights. Snazy 39 40,109 10-07-2014 09:49 AM
Last Post: BringOutTheCranston
  Traffic made worse at junction of Forest Hill Road, Canonbie Road and Wood Vale? Triangle 7 11,261 14-01-2014 11:28 AM
Last Post: Londondrz