SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Volunteers
P1971

04-01-2014 11:20 PM

If anyone has a local event they need volunteers for, or if anyone is up for helping please post here.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

05-01-2014 01:35 AM

Events, neighbourly favours, general good will, I'm open to ideas work and life permitting.

P1971

05-01-2014 09:46 PM

After a few chats today heres the first one if anyone can help out. The 3 planters outside the job centre are a bit of an eyesore on Dartmouth Road. So heres my suggestion if anyone wants to help out. We have permission to go ahead and plant. I'm thinking middle herb garden with a plaque to say something along the lines of "Please help yourself to cook up a storm, but don't be greedy and leave some for fellow SE23'ers" Then lots of colourful flowers in the other two planters. We'll need volunteers to donate and plant the flowers, and someone to make a plaque. Or if anyony fancies it just go and plant lovely colourful flowers if you want.

Alice

06-01-2014 09:25 AM

That sounds a great idea Pauline, Shannons may be able to advise what the best thing is to plant there as something low maintenance would make sense, perhaps even some bulbs. I'll ask them next time I'm in there, unless anyone on here has suggestions who knows a bit about gardening. The FH society plant outside the station and on the platforms so must have had the same dilemma. I'd be happy to donate a few plants and put them in.

On another note, if people are interested in volunteering generally, there are lots of opportunities on this website : http://www.do-it.org.uk

Cellar Door

06-01-2014 09:58 AM

P1971 wrote:
The 3 planters outside the job centre...

Maybe the Jobcentre Plus people could be inspired to spruce it up? (Is the Manager's name, Peter?)

That reminds me...I should sign-on.

So, Pauline you have given me motivation to go there, sign-on and talk about the 3 planters.

I will pop in beforehand to Sugar Mountain, Pauline, to see what you think.

Maybe I should buy some Gobstoppers first?

Otherwise, this all should make for an interesting conversation today at the Jobcentre Plus in Forest Hill.

Snazy

06-01-2014 05:58 PM

Gob stoppers or Rob stoppers ? Rofl
When are the planters being done? I will try and make myself free for hole digging duties, thats about as far as my talents go im afraid. Dont mind picking up some plants or something cheap and cheerful from B&Q if needed.

P1971

06-01-2014 07:11 PM

Thanks everyone. I've allready spoke to a couple of other traders and they're up for mucking in! I'll speak to Shannons and Laurels for some advice this week, and try and find out if there is any funding available.
I'll keep everyone posted. Smile

SElady

07-01-2014 08:27 AM

Sounds lovely - the more flowers and trees in Forest Hill, the better.
I seem to remember that the Forest Hill Society and Quetta Kaye (quettakaye@hotmail.co.uk) and volunteers
had previously been organising plantings at the station and the job centre. They still may have a budget for it if you contact them and am sure would welcome any new volunteers to help out.

P1971

07-01-2014 07:41 PM

Thanks SElady I'll speak to Quetta.
I'm trying to find out if there is any type of clean and green funding available as myself and another trader have been chatting and also think it would make such a difference to paint the two walls in front of the L&Q housing estate just before the pools.
I'm thinking they would look nice painted the green/yellow colour used in the SEE3 logo with sunflowers planted behind them. I don't have permission for this, but I spoke to someone at L&Q this morning to find out if the walls and grass patch were L&Q or Lewisham council property and they said they owned the grass patch but not the walls, so I will try and find out who to contact at Lewiaham council to see if they will give permission to go ahead.
I'll ask one of the fab FHSoc team about this too.

Snazy

08-01-2014 01:54 PM

Sounding more and more pretty and fun by the minute. Thumbsup

P1971

08-01-2014 08:23 PM

Quetta has already got this in order and has plants to go in the planters outside the job cantre. She is planting tomorrow at 2pm if anyone wants to help out.
Well done Quetta. Thumbsup

Alice

06-05-2014 10:37 AM

At Christmas I asked for volunteers to help out a lovely chap called Tommo who runs lunches for isolated / older people in Catford / Forest Hill who might otherwise be on their own at that time. Quite a few forum readers came forward and were a massive help in making these lunches a success and bringing some festive cheer to people for whom this can be a difficult period.

Tommo runs the lunches entirely on charitable donations and is completely useless (he won't mind me saying this!) with technology!

He has however managed to sign up to http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk and he would really appreciate it if anyone can help him raise money by registering with the website and supporting "Christmas Cracker and Trip Venues". 2700 retailers are signed up to this site and you do not personally need to donate money, the retailer will donate on your behalf when you shop online with them.

Alternatively if you are able to donate a small amount for this very local (Catford) charity then please PM me and I will send Tommo's bank details.

Any help is much appreciated. Tommo is also hoping to take some of the older people on a coach trip to the coast this Summer and at the moment he is lacking the funds to do so.

Thanks all ! Thumbsup

Alice

Alice

16-11-2014 09:06 PM

Hello SE23ers,

I am on the look out for volunteers please - on Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year's Day...

Tommo (a chaplain at Southwark Cathedral in his professional life) has been running festive lunches for years for local elderly or vulnerable people who may otherwise be spending Christmas on their own and relies on the help of volunteers to make sure they run smoothly. A few people from the forum volunteered last year and found it a very rewarding and fun experience.

If you think you may be able to give up some time on any of the days, I'd be really grateful if you would let me know please, the shifts are approximately as follows:

7.30am - 10 am
10am - 2pm
12.30pm - 5pm

Tasks include food preparation, setting up tables, serving guests and most importantly chatting to the guests and making them feel welcome.

The lunches are being held in SE23 - either at St Hilda's Church hall or St Saviour's.

Please let me know if you are able to help!

Thanks very much,

Alice

Alice

18-11-2014 09:40 PM

I have a few volunteers coming through but more needed please! If anyone else can help please let me know.

Many thanks!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields