SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Bag Snatching incidences at Honor Oak Road
Renzon

27-06-2008 10:47 PM

Two weeks ago, at 6 pm on a weekday in broad daylight, my wife had her bag snatched (with bank cards and all) while she was crossing Honor Oak Road towards the Tesco Store/gas station at the traffic lights.

Exactly the same thing happened again to someone else the other day (this time at 11 pm at night). On both occasions, the crime was committed by the same young thin man who grabbed the bag and ran across London Road, up Elliot Bank and losing himself among the houses and trees.

The police came fairly promptly and took down all the details, but were unable to track the man down.

So please be warned!!! Please do look out for any suspicious kids around the crossing at Honor Oak Road (especially when one is paying more attention to oncoming traffic while crossing the road) and keep your valuables close to you!!!!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Applespider

30-06-2008 09:31 AM

Thanks for the warning. I pass that way on occasion and will make sure bag is safely tucked under arm.

One thing I never realised until I had my bag snatched once before is that should you decide to indulge in a tug of war (assuming you think the thief doesn't have a knife/gun), make sure that you are the one with the body of the bag and s/he is the one with the handles. The handles are far more likely to break and leave the person tugging that end with nothing except a bruise on the backside. Screaming loudly is also a good option the moment you feel it being grabbed - these people don't want attention.

seeformiles

30-06-2008 09:36 AM

I often go to Tescos on foot at night because I live nearby. I'll think twice about it for the time being. Thanks for the warning.

Aaron

30-06-2008 09:56 AM

Thanks for the warning

Will be especially on gaurd when walking past going to the horniman in this nice weather

is the guy white or black?

brian

30-06-2008 10:59 AM

Aaron
Not sure you should be asking such a question . In the Bill it is IC1 or IC3 , not sure I am any the wiser
Whatever their race I hope the police catch them and they are banged up for 5 years or more

Aaron

30-06-2008 11:01 AM

I ask whatever I want

I was wondering just so we know what to look out for

grahamw

30-06-2008 11:59 AM

Renzon,
Sorry to hear this, I hope your wife is ok. A fuller description of the 'young thin man' would be useful for those of us living in the area.
many thanks

Renzon

01-07-2008 08:24 AM

Bag snatcher was IC3 (aka black).

I did not intend to make anyone fearful of venturing out at night or day to Tesco - just to say - keep your belongings safely under your arm to eliminate any chances for these 'opportunists'.

My wife did confess that she was holding her bag rather lightly and the thief took advantage of it.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields