SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Whereabouts was this church in Dartmouth Road?
Poppet2

29-12-2013 05:43 PM

It's an old Wesley church, but was it the old church that used to be on the corner of Derby Hill? If so when was this church demolished?
I remember that style of steps, but not the gates.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevegrindl...4326851975

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
P1971

29-12-2013 08:04 PM

I have a book at the shop with picture's, date's, and info about this church. Pop in and you can borrow it. PM me and I'll give you the address to pick up from.

CasaPaulo

15-01-2014 01:01 PM

A bit of a late reply. This church was opposite Sydenham Girls School adj to 165 Dartmouth Rd. The houses to the right are still there. To the left of the pix were cottages. All demolished in the 50s. Behind was a orchard & another church. The Church at the base of Derby Hill was demolished in the 50s too. The Bricklayers Arms Pub can be viewed in the pix also.

Poppet2

15-01-2014 07:19 PM

Thanks, that's very interesting, however you are wrong about the Baptist church at the bottom of Derby Hill. That was demolished in 1977, I remember this myself as I used to pass it on my way to school then.

CasaPaulo

15-01-2014 08:37 PM

As recent as that? Sorry. I recall the empty big houses on Derby Hill prior to the blocks of Flats & Cadley Terrace being built.
New houses & road called Suncroft Place replaced the Wesley church, cottages & orchard. Set back in order to widen Dartmouth Rd. Yet to happen.

PackOfDusters

16-01-2014 12:41 PM

Thanks for updating CasaPaulo. I find the huge mix in ages of buildings in Forest Hill so interesting.

Do you know what the buildings on the corner of now Willow Way are, where the now defunct police station is? It's hard to tell from the photo whether it's houses or something else. The top of Dartmouth road must have looked really quite different.

CasaPaulo

16-01-2014 01:08 PM

In Willow Way there were small terraced cottages both sides, but further down on the bend was a Express Dairy milk yard, with horses in the 50s as well as Electric carts. I recall Trojan Vans too, can't recall the Co maybe Tea. The 'old' Police station was no 179 ish with a rear courtyard. Behind that were many lock up garages, waste ground flanked by the orchard. All demolished when the 'new' Police station (now closed or closing) was built. Plus the high Section house & ex Police flats adj to the Brick. All surplus to requirements now. On the site of new Syd Girls Sch Building built about '55 was Nevil Bread co, they had horses too.

Anotherjohn

16-01-2014 01:46 PM

I must say - I'm always on the lookout for CasaPaulo's next post because I find what he says to be totally fascinating.

Thank you CasaPaulo - whoever you are!

This post was last modified: 16-01-2014 01:49 PM by Anotherjohn.

P1971

16-01-2014 06:48 PM

Heres the link to Sydenham and Forest Hill Local History by Steve Grindlay. I've put a vinyl picture up on the outside of 57a Dartmouth Road showing that little row of shops back in around 1900 if anyone wants to have a look when passing.

http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.co.uk/

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields