SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Early rising potato peeling volunteer required please!
P1971

30-12-2013 11:38 PM

See you all New Year's day. Alice I'll try to get down before 2 if I can.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
P1971

01-01-2014 05:21 PM

Alice thank you for making us aware of today, we had a lovely afternoon. My 10 year old son Charlie really enjoyed helping out a blind lady Barbara play bingo, she seemed very happy as she won quite a lot of prizes. He also loved watching the magic show which we didn't expect. We met some lovely people (some from the forum) and are looking forward to next year.

Snazy and Cellar Door are now dropping guests home. I think they both done a great job as they were both there all day.

Happy New Year.

Alice

02-01-2014 11:24 AM

Happy New Year to you too Pauline! I'm so glad you enjoyed it and well done Charlie for helping Barbara, that is the sort of thing that makes all the difference to the guests. Really good to hear you might be interested in doing it again next year too!

Cellardoor and Snazy did a very long day I'm sure, very big thanks to them.

Alice

Snazy

02-01-2014 02:15 PM

Hi from me, phew!
Just got back from clearing up the hall and getting it all back to Tommo's this morning.

Yesterday was a slightly challenging, yet VERY rewarding day. Started off helping Tommo with the spuds. Roped my niece Daryl and nephew Calum into coming along for the day.

Minibus back to its home, and I was tucked up with a chinese and Sherlock for 9.30 Thumbsup

Well done to everyone who played a part in yesterday, as the guests arrived and the whole thing got into full swing, it suddenly became obvious why it was all so worth while.

A few hours, or the whole day, whatever you all did yesterday, or Xmas / Boxing day, I tip my hat to you.

Made some new friends, and broke down some barriers.

Thanks to Alice for highlighting this, and heres to the next Xmas Lunch

Snazy

02-01-2014 03:35 PM
P1971

02-01-2014 06:57 PM

Alice we would love to get more involved next year on Boxing and New Years Day, I feel very privilaged to have been part of this for a couple of hours.

Snazy I take my hat off to you for all you done, and your take on the day sums it up nicely. Tommo is amazing! So next year I think we all need to pull together again earlier and help him out with the fundraising to pay for the venue, food, gifts etc.

Thank you again Alice for making us aware of this.

Poppy9560

02-01-2014 07:37 PM

thanks to Alice for letting us know about this chance to help out - will be up for doing it again. Tommo is quite remarkable to get it organised so well - I tip my hat to him

Snazy

02-01-2014 10:32 PM

I have to 100% echo and agree with the comments above.
I have already said to Tommo I am happy to be contacted to help with anything that I am able to help with, work and a bit of notice permitting.

Threads like this REALLY do set out what a community is all about. I had this conversation with Alice and Alan the other day, saying how you don't have to live in one another pockets, and to see neighbours every day to know that a strong, honest and helpful network of people are all just a message away.

Tip no hat to me please, I just drove a van about a few times Smile Some others did far more than me, and to you all, you have my appreciation and admiration.

Was lovely to meet so many people who have until know just been a name Smile I will be sure to make more of an effort to come out of my shell a little, and get more involved in forum get togethers in future Blush

P1971

02-01-2014 10:49 PM

Was lovely to meet you Snazy x

This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 10:56 PM by P1971.

Snazy

03-01-2014 12:23 AM

The pleasure was all mine. I hope to see most again soon at some point, and will really have to get my head into some of the local haunts soon. Especially that sweetie shop Thumbsup

robin orton

03-01-2014 10:08 AM

This sounds as if it was a great event. Out of interest, who actually took the lead in organizing it - individuals or a formal organization of some sort? Does it happen every year?

Churches Together in Sydenham and Forest Hill run what sounds like a similar event on Christmas Day - eighty guests this year at St George's, Perry Hill, I'm told.

Snazy

03-01-2014 12:14 PM

Tommo was the head of all heads for the events, pulling in help from various quarters, which snowballed into them also getting volunteers on board also.

All establishments that organise such events deserve more publicity and credit for what they do. Who knows, that in turn could lead to more corporate support and funding in the future, making much more possible.

robin orton

03-01-2014 04:31 PM

Dare one ask who Tommo is? Or does he prefer to remain a man of mystery?

Alice

03-01-2014 06:02 PM

Not at all Robin, Tommo isn't remotely mysterious, he's just a nice chap who lives in Catford who has organised lunches for isolated/elderly people every year for many years. Come along next year to help and you can meet him!

robin orton

03-01-2014 10:25 PM

Thanks, Alice. As it happens, I was talking to someone this evening who knows him and thinks very highly of him.

Cellar Door

05-01-2014 04:52 PM

New Year's Day was excellent!

Thank you so much, Alice, for arranging all of us volunteers. And especially admirable with your first baby in tow. And just over 8 weeks old now. Please say "Hi" to the adorable Violet. And to Baxter. (What was Baxter's problem when we left your house the other day? He was giving me the sad puppy face like I had eaten all his doggie biscuits and then puked them up in his kennel.)

And, of course, say "Hi" to the other one. What's his name? Alvin? Frederick? George?

Or was it Alan?

And it was fantastic to meet so many other SE23.com Forumites. You people are such do-gooders. You make me sick the way you put other people first. Stop it! Or the hill will start to get a reputation. We are supposed to be hard-bitten Sarf Londoners. And don't you forget it. (Well done, though.)

Snazy and his niece Daryl and nephew Calum did an amazing job getting the lunch guests using the The Jimmy Mizen Foundation minibus and peeling potatoes and setting up the tables amongst many other things.

Tommo, the organiser, is simply the best. When you are with him you see life in High Definition.

The lunch guests that I had the pleasure to meet were what it was all about. One lovely lady used to work in the Unicorn Darts Factory on Stanstead Road (now Shurgard Self Storage). And in a printers on some road near to the Forest Hill Railway Station that has got the word David in it.

And another lady that lived around the hill when the bombs were falling in World War II. I was meeting history.

A great day to start off a great year.

Alice

05-01-2014 08:41 PM

I'm so glad you enjoyed it Rob. Having got the volunteers together for Christmas Day and Boxing Day I suddenly realised a few days after Christmas that I didn't have nearly enough people for New Year's Day so it was fantastic of you and all the others to step in at such late notice. Next year I hope to be much more organised!

It is encouraging that so many people would like to help again and also a great idea of Pauline's to set up a separate thread for potential volunteers. I know a lot of charitable organisations have really suffered in recent years as all the adults work full time in so many households. There are lots of volunteer opportunities on this website if people are interested : http://www.do-it.org.uk

Baxter has been perfecting that look by the way, he loves visitors and hates it when they leave. I'm pretty sure I didn't see you pilfer any of his dog biscuits...although I can't be sure...

P1971

05-01-2014 09:10 PM

Alice I'm useless with computers. Can you post this link on the volunteers thread.

TYSM P x

Poppy9560

05-01-2014 10:07 PM

I know the Blythe Hill Fields Festival always needs volunteers - I think they have posted on one of these threads. It is in July so hopefully MUCH nicer weather than New Years Day!

Cellar Door

06-01-2014 04:47 AM

Alice wrote:
I'm pretty sure I didn't see you pilfer any of his dog biscuits...although I can't be sure...

Good. Then only Baxter saw me.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields