SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Christmas Lights
MessyMessy

26-12-2013 08:10 AM

I love the lights on the house on Grierson Road just on the left past HOP station. The giant Santa is fantastic, and I stop to look whenever I walk by. Does anyone know where to get one? Wouldn't fit on our little place, but a gal can dream!

Any other good light displays in the area?

Find all posts by this user
robbrockley

26-12-2013 06:34 PM

Well not in HOP 'high street' - shops have made rather a pathetic attempt at Christmas decorations this year. Considering they are all supposed to be struggling and keen for our trade, they really have not made a lot of effort. One or two exceptions - Neroli is good and maybe Hopscotch. The rest really haven't tried. And why oh why every year do the council fix light san then not check that they work. We always have one of five out. Poor effort. And Forest Hill - the friendly Forest Hill - is miserable.

nottinghillbilly

26-12-2013 06:55 PM

Yes, Forest Hill lights are mainly broken, better off not bothering methinks

hopscotch cafe bar

27-12-2013 03:06 PM

sorry our decorations are not up to you standards rob !!

P1971

27-12-2013 04:46 PM

Most of my effort's went in to the not for profit Santa's Grotto this year on Dartmouth Road, which I couldn't have made happen without all the help from local SE23 resident's, local trader's, and my shop landlord.
My shop had the same Christmas decoration's as last year as I choose to spend my budget on the grotto, which The Forest Hill Society have very kindly offered to cover aswell as any other trader's and local's reciept's they have for material's that made the free workshop's possible which made so many local kid's very happy this Christmas. This mean's there is money to give to charity and will be going to The Evelina Children's Hospital.

Community and festive spirit does go on even if it's not visable to all, and I'm sorry if some of us shop's didn't make enough effort with our Christmas display's in some people's view's, but most gave a lot more in other way's.

Local businesses do need local support to survive, I have no doubt about that. So I hope everyone in SE23 continue's to shop, eat, and drink at you're favorite local independant businesses.

All the best to everyone in 2014.

This post was last modified: 27-12-2013 04:58 PM by P1971.

P1971

27-12-2013 06:13 PM

MessyMessy

Sorry for going a bit off thread, but some of us have to stick up for the local trader's. We all do what we can to give the area what they want, and some might have been able to afford decoration's this year and some not, like Rob said some are struggling.
Only yesterday I had to pop to Argos for my only late gift not bought in SE23 which was a box of magic trick's, and I'm sure they had giant Santa and Reindeer light's on display.

Merry Christmas, hope you get one in your stocking next year.

This post was last modified: 27-12-2013 06:16 PM by P1971.

robbrockley

28-12-2013 10:05 AM

This has gone slightly off track - high jacked by p171, who does rather treat thus as her own personal advertising space, dressed up as enthusiasm for FH. We all know all about your grotto - how could we have missed it on here - and I am sure it was marvellous but has very narrow appeal. Interesting shop windows, pleasant lights, a quality tree, appeal to everyone and do much to encourage people to shop in an area. I always think it's funny on here how people (usually traders) ask for views on how to make things better and then when they get constructive ideas, they knock them down, say they are already doing it, say it is too hard etc. If you don't like to hear the truth, don't ask. I do know times are tough, people are working very hard, and people are trying to come up with ideas, but please guys do try to do some positive things if you really want the area to be better. It has to start by cleaning the street up - it is simply dirty and grubby and not appealing.

lacb

28-12-2013 10:46 AM

robbrockley, while it is true that some businesses have done nothing in this regard, targeting those who have made an effort, even if insufficient in your eyes, as pathetic is not what I would call "constructive criticism".

To OP, yes, we call that the "crazy Christmas house" - it is wonderful. It gets better every year and am not aware of a crazier one in the immediate vicinity.

Red67

28-12-2013 11:02 AM

"...shops have made rather a pathetic attempt at Christmas decorations this year. Considering they are all supposed to be struggling and keen for our trade, they really have not made a lot of effort."

Blimey. That's rather harsh.

Personally i support the local shops i want to support and i do it all year round, not just at Christmas. It isn't going to make a blind bit of difference to me if it's got a load of tinsel, glitter and baubles hanging off it, if i need it/want it i'll buy it anyway....but then i'm not one for over the top Christmas excess and tacky sparkle, so maybe that's just me. I think the stylish little trees outside a lot of the shops in Forest Hill this festive season looked rather classy, actually...

shzl400

28-12-2013 04:48 PM

While not quite at Robbrockley's level, I would have a lot more sympathy with what P1971 says, if only she learned how and when to use apostrophes. Please, please, I'm begging you! Post #5 above was sheer torture. I could forgive if you were a grocer (it's traditional), but not for a seller of sweetmeats.

Ok, I'll get me coat - off to the Usage of English thread we go....

P1971

28-12-2013 07:39 PM

Hi Rob I'm sorry if you think I tried to Hijack this thread, but I was only posting what I felt, and I do get a bit more agro on here than most because I am a trader and passionate about the area, which personally as a local resident can sometime's be quite upsetting. I don't use the forum to advertise anything I make a profit from, but do use it to make everyone aware of any fundraising and not for profit event's that I'm involved with to make the most of them. The Grotto was a closed shop with shutter's so I hope that by opening it at the weekend's gave the area a bit more kerb appeal. I think it's an individual opinion as to what an interesting shop window is, for me it's what I have done, and I do have what I think are pleasant lights, snowflake's, and a tree that matches other trader's.
shz1400 I don't have an English degree, and I'll alway's just be me. Sorry if my English Literature is not up to scratch, I hope you find the funny side to this as I can't change who or what I am.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christmas lights sharon 5 6,983 16-12-2014 03:29 PM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Forest Hill Christmas lights. nottinghillbilly 5 8,317 09-12-2013 07:57 PM
Last Post: Deano
  Christmas lights? new2honoroak 3 5,431 08-12-2010 01:43 PM
Last Post: new2honoroak