SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Charger for laptop needed urgently
Thorners

19-12-2013 09:21 AM

Hi

Fairly new to Forest Hill and I find myself working from home with no charger for my laptop, it's only 9.30 and I have 20 mins left, eek! I have a Lenovo, does anyone know of any electrical/computer stores in the general area who might stock this?

I tried Maplins but they hadn't heard of the brand.

Thank you

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cellar Door

19-12-2013 11:47 AM

Thorners wrote:
...does anyone know of any electrical/computer stores in the general area who might stock this?

What a bother!

Well, first I would give these guys a shout at their brand new MEGASTORE...

Currys PC World Sydenham
Unit 5 Bell Green Retail Park, Sydenham
London, SE26 4PU

They sell Lenovo Laptops. You cannot ring the store directly. Which is a bother but you may be able to "click and collect" the same day.

It is a great store. All of this right next to the behemoth Sainsburys at Bell Green/Lower Sydenham.

And there is a Toys R Us, B&Q, Next - Home (due to open in early 2014) and Pets At Home (which have the coolest little lizards and snakes for sale).

But focusing on your issue, rather than reptiles...on Dartmouth Road there is a good little computer store near to The Bird in Hand that has a good little eclectic range. They might just have a universal charger if they don't have a Lenovo charger.

Finally, that little phone shop thingy on London Road near to Energie Gym can sometimes have the most obscure bits and bobs. He saved a Mate of mine once that had a hard to find Hauwei phone and needed it to be charged. Right from under the counter he pulled out a new Hauwei charger for exactly his phone. For a fiver!

I know that you are looking for a laptop charger but I would love the same trick to happen for you since Lenovo and Hauwei are both Chinese. Stranger things have happened.

You got someone at Maplins that was a bit behind in their product knowledge. Lenovo is the second biggest selling brand of personal computers in the world since 2011. Maybe a Product and Brand refresher course for them.

Good luck with your search, Thorners.

This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 11:55 AM by Cellar Door.

Thorners

19-12-2013 01:25 PM

Thank you so much for the reply.

In the meantime I ventured to maplins, they did have something which would work but at £60 I couldn't bring myself to do it. I also popped into the little place on Dartmouth Road and the internet cafe on London Road.

Both were very helpful but I think Lenovo have an usual voltage, or something like that.

I live about a 50 second walk from the energie gym so I'll seek out that place and if not it's off to the megastore for me, the week before Christmas, wish me luck!

Cellar Door

19-12-2013 01:48 PM

I was just walking past the little shop near Energie and thought that I would enquire.

Different chap from before.

I asked for a Lenovo charger.

He stared at me like I was an alien.

Lenovo could do with a bit more advertising, it would seem!

£60 for a universal charger sounds about right. That is what Currys will slug you.

Maybe some kind local could lend you one?

You never know with these forums...

Benderish

19-12-2013 02:38 PM

Lenovo actually took over the laptop part of IBM a few years ago so an IBM charger should still work in them

Bcm

20-12-2013 07:35 AM

I have a spare Lenovo charger that you can have for £20 if it fits. Pm me and we can try it!

Thorners

20-12-2013 07:54 AM

Bcm - thank you for the offer but I'm now happily tapping away having been sorted out by the Currys PC World place as suggested by cellar door.

I now have a charger that looks like it would fit any laptop ever invented and it only set me back £40! Happy days.

Without it I'd be commuting into the city right now rather than sitting in my dining room next to the Christmas tree listening to radio 6 and looking forward to a jaunt around the shops for some last minute gifts at lunchtime. Thank you currys and cellar door, I had no idea those shops were there.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2 bed flat near Honor Oak / Crofton Park urgently needed PerKvalvaag 0 2,234 14-06-2022 11:29 PM
Last Post: PerKvalvaag
  Urgently needed local celebrity to judge bake off!! allycat 0 2,613 27-05-2014 07:36 PM
Last Post: allycat
  Fs Nintendo DS (older version) incl. charger and car charger AMRA71 0 2,177 15-07-2013 05:05 PM
Last Post: AMRA71
  Childminder urgently needed in Forest Hill BVC 1 5,293 22-04-2013 10:37 AM
Last Post: BVC