SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Meeting new people
charsiew

18-12-2013 08:41 AM

Hi,
My new housemate 28 has just moved into Forest Hill and she wanted to know what is the best way of meeting people around the area. Can anyone one suggest what would be the best way?

Thanks
J

Find all posts by this user
Cellar Door

18-12-2013 08:47 AM

Hi J,

When I first moved into Forest Hill in 1997, I introduced myself to my immediate neighbours. And it just snowballed from there...

charsiew

18-12-2013 09:04 AM

I'm scared that she will get a frosty reception

P1971

18-12-2013 09:05 AM

Hi Charsiew
Doopo Doopo have cinema evening's on Thursday's at 8pm, and Stag and Bow have Friday social evening's every 3/4 week's, this might be a good way to meet local's. Also have a look at The Forest Hill Society calendar to see what's going on in the area.

Anotherjohn

18-12-2013 09:21 AM

Hey J!

As Cellar Door says, people are very friendly around here so it's easy.

There's a really cool and informal event at Doopo Doopo by the Vortex Cinema Club this Thursday at 7pm and I reckon it's a great place to mingle.

Also, just talking to the staff in places like St David, Sugar Mountain, Bunka and so on will get things moving.

Cellar Door

18-12-2013 09:26 AM

charsiew wrote:
I'm scared that she will get a frosty reception

Well then, she could come and say "Hi" to my neighbours.

If that does not sound like a plan, then what P1971 and Anotherjohn said.

michael

18-12-2013 09:39 AM

Perhaps we should have SE23.com forum drinks one day?
Are we too late to organise something before Christmas?

Also Burns Night is coming up at the end of January, and this is a great way to meet some new people (not all of them Scottish). I think you have just given me motivation to make sure we have another Forest Hill Society Burns Supper. I'll send oot the details after xmas and once I've had a chance to confirm with the venue, but basically I've already sorted out the basics.

Just need a few Scots (and Sasanach and others) to read some of the bards fine verses. The difficulty is always finding a piper...

charsiew

18-12-2013 09:44 AM

ah thanks guys for your time with some really good suggestions. I will give recommend to her the places below, I am pleased.

I was trying to be clever earlier, as Cellar Door mentioned the word "snowball", i thought it would be to funny to say that they might give a "Frosty" reception. Sorry for the bad joke!

Cellar Door

18-12-2013 10:04 AM

charsiew wrote:
I was trying to be clever earlier...

My uptake this morning is rather glacial.

That was good. I'm chuckling to myself as I tap this in.

Good luck to your new housemate and her new beginnings here in SE23 land. She is very fortunate to have a thoughtful housemate like yourself.

charsiew

18-12-2013 10:18 AM

snow joke pal.

haha - have a good xmas

Cellar Door

18-12-2013 10:34 AM

michael wrote:
Are we too late to organise something before Christmas?

It is never too late.

The 23rd strikes me as a good date for some reason. A Monday.

If you think this is good, then may I assist with the planning?

As Mr Wilberforce Clayborne Humphries said, "I'm free!".

And it could be something that charsiew's housemate might add into their Christmas diary?

And if charsiew were to be there, too, then maybe I could regale them with a few of my chilling tales?

charsiew

18-12-2013 10:44 AM

haha, you guys are great!

Let me check, i think my friend is not going to be in London for Xmas, she is going to be heading back home at the weekend and unfortunately on that day for me, I have to pick my parents from the airport so can't make it. Please though, in the new year we should try and meet up and others as well of course!

My best
Jon

alisa

18-12-2013 10:51 AM

I think we should do both
Cellar Door - I can be in FH about 7pm
Next year's diary is free apart from Burns Night!

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
michael

18-12-2013 11:11 AM

23rd sounds perfect for the SE23 forum get together!
Now the difficult question: What pub?
I'm sure Cellar Door would favour the Capitol, my only concern would be finding each other in this vast drinking hall. Perhaps Cellar Door can recommend an appropriate place to meet, alternatively we could try a different pub where we won't be lost so easily.

Will anybody else be around or will it just be me, Cellar Door, and Alisa? (I good start to a drinking party already in my opinion)

MightyMouse

18-12-2013 11:30 AM

I'm definitely up for a get together on the 23rd - I've been here 18 months and still only know the people I knew when I came here, but am happy to admit that's all my own fault! As the saying goes, I need to get out more...

Tinkerbell

18-12-2013 11:33 AM

Perhaps start a new thread for it? I'd be interested in meeting a few of the SE23 faces over a pint.

Cellar Door

18-12-2013 11:45 AM

charsiew wrote:
Please though, in the new year we should try and meet up and others as well of course!

No-one else.

It will just be us.

We will form a little clique and make snide and rude comments about everyone else. Under our breath, of course.

We will be called Team Awesome.

And just to keep it simple everyone else will be in Team Awful.
(You don't wanna be in that team. We all know who they are.)

I'll keep you in the loop, Jon, and in the meantime may I wish you and your housemate a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

alisa wrote:
I can be in FH about 7pm

Hi Alisa,

That sounds like a good time.

michael wrote:
Now the difficult question: What pub?

Any is good.

The Moore Park Tavern I think is currently closed for a refit.

The Honor Oak might not be ready in time for 7pm on Monday, 23rd of December 2013.

But plenty of others.

I favour something close to Forest Hill Railway Station. For my own selfish reasons. It is within a stone's throw (and a bit) from my hill dwelling.

The Hob is good. (I will of course check with the lovely Emma and Ron or Asa or Monica.)

Monday night is new comedy upstairs if people get sick of the jokes downstairs.

I see that food is being advertised on their window display starting this month.

Anyone tried it?

Cellar Door

18-12-2013 12:45 PM

Right then, I am going to head out onto the streets of Forest Hill.

I have get my beard trimmed by the fine barbers opposite the excellently refurbished CO-OP, have a chat with the fine people at The Hob, a few stretches in the fine gym and sign-up at the fine Job Centre Plus (I found out a while back that I have to keep my tax credits going to get me a pension. Plus the UK government will give my some money or something. I suspect though that they'll want me to do something ridiculous like look for work. Oh well, you don't get a free lunch in this town.).

On my return later this afternoon I will report back on the availability of The Hob from 7pm on Monday the 23rd of December 2013.

Over and out for now.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields