SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
FH is amazing, what do you think would make the area better than it is allready!
Sammy

23-12-2013 08:39 PM

Close down Paddy Power and clear the drunks off to a wet centre rather than have them getting smashed in e street and using the walls as toilets!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JMLF

23-12-2013 10:06 PM

To those who mentioned a health food store and a bookshop - in the meantime pop down to Sydenham. An amazing bookstore and a pretty decent health food store real close to the station.
Only a brisk 20 minute walk from FH station or a short bus ride (or even train).

Cellar Door

24-12-2013 11:05 AM

JMLF wrote:
An amazing bookstore and a pretty decent health food store real close to the station.

Absolutely, JMLF.

And I noticed last week that the St. Christopher's Hospice store right next to the bookstore had a note in the window saying that they have a book department in the basement.

I am in the process of moving to Sydenham. I will be living right near to the Sydenham Railway Station and I suspect that after I have done my morning trainspotting duties then it will be off to Blue Mountain for my coffee fix and then to rummage through the bookstore and St. Christopher's.

Happy days are here again!

SonicAttack

24-12-2013 02:06 PM

Now there is a good butchers in FH. I'd like to see a fishmonger, green grocer and a good deli. Then I'd be in seventh heaven.

michael

13-01-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:
SEE3 ARE SEEKING YOUR IDEAS FOR MAKING FOREST HILL MORE FUN! Over the next few months we are running a programme of events in Forest Hill. We would like to know your views on the kind of events you would like to see.

Would you help us by completing a 2 minute questionnaire? If you add your contact details in the box under Q8 you will automatically enter a draw to win £50 to spend in a Forest Hill shop of your choice.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PKQH6GZ

nottinghillbilly

13-01-2014 08:23 PM

Done!

OakR

13-01-2014 08:50 PM

Completed - not sure if this was intentional, but there is no Honor Oak under local shopping area, no parent with pre-school children at end of survey. Also could Q3 be merged into Q4 if you've not had many responses yet?

Feel free to ignore the above and no need to respond.

Good luck and thanks for all your continued hard work.

Tim Lund

13-01-2014 11:10 PM

Quote:
SEE3 ARE SEEKING YOUR IDEAS FOR MAKING FOREST HILL MORE FUN! Over the next few months we are running a programme of events in Forest Hill. We would like to know your views on the kind of events you would like to see.

Would you help us by completing a 2 minute questionnaire? If you add your contact details in the box under Q8 you will automatically enter a draw to win £50 to spend in a Forest Hill shop of your choice.

I saw this too. The social enterprise behind this is called Shared City, and already has an interesting calendar of events, such as "Brilliant Buddha Experience: Lotus in the City", "Family Indian Dance Workshop", "Pure Persia: Behind the Veils", "Tantalising Turkey - Hot Hammam & Belly Dance", "Recalling The Future: post revolutionary Iranian art". I worry that here in SE London we may not be sufficiently enlightened Smile

michael

14-01-2014 10:42 AM

Here in Forest Hill we are the model of enlightened. Love

The job description from SEE3 website is:

Quote:
Jack-in-a-box: Community engagement project for Forest Hill

We want someone to:
Coordinate and curate a series of workshops, events, exhibitions and timetable of other activities in different spaces in Forest Hill to animate them and create a draw for people to pop in. This could include showcase displays for local businesses, entrepreneurs and individuals who want to add to the footfall of Forest Hill.

Through the programme of activities and events, creatively encourage new ideas that engage with identity and place and explore what the community wants and needs from their high street.

Ensure spaces are accessible (both physically and visually) to as wide a range of existing traders on the high street and a diverse group of residents.

The key outputs are:
to deliver a busy footfall to the space being used
to engage local residents to reflect the diversity of the area, particularly those living in social housing
to capture information and feedback from visitors to the spaces
to encourage more volunteers to support SEE3 – this may include help with the workshops
to deliver 3 to 5 key activities/events

Having been invited to participate in the selection process, I believe that the team behind Shared City will be able to deliver on this programme, and have a good track record of doing this across London (and include local people who know Forest Hill). Obviously, what works well in Neasden or Stoke Newington is not necessarily right for Forest Hill, which is why feedback to this survey is helpful in shaping the project.

So please help by giving them your initial ideas in the Survey

P1971

14-01-2014 11:32 PM

I've filled one in Michael, you know I love having fun in SE23, been cleaning the planters at the job centre and they are looking good! Thumbsup

skyepark

18-01-2014 12:15 PM

Cinema, I goto the one in Peckham £5 all films, can you beat that? For fruit and veg I have to goto Lewisham, could we have a good greengrocers in FH it would be great, also more wall art work especially next to Paddy power and make that area more open like the Ritzy cinema area in Brixtone. Fh is hard to make cohesive since its its dominated by the road, there are great shops when you head down toward the Pools, I saw markets outside there once that was great and really bought the area together and made the shops opposite come alive.

nottinghillbilly

18-01-2014 07:38 PM

Prettys the excellent Fruit and Veg shop and juice place on Northcross Road is being forced to close due to a new landlord
http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/...?5,1251171

I really want him to move to Dartmouth road that would be amazingThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

P1971

18-01-2014 09:07 PM

nottinghillbilly can you get an email address or telephone number for me to pass on.
Thanks Pauline.

P1971

19-01-2014 12:04 AM

We can work with FH Library and get free workshops in the forecourt going for kids at the weekend when the weather picks up if we can get volunteers to do the workshops. I'm up for co-ordinating it. Need about 8/10 volunteers to make this happen. Please get involved.

michael

22-01-2014 05:09 PM

Why is there still not a sushi restaurant in Forest Hill?

I've spoken to the Horniman Walrus about this and he said 'Give us raw fish!'

P1971

22-01-2014 07:54 PM

L&Q Housing have gave me permission today to plant tall flowers (maybe sunflowers if suitable, I'll chat to the girls at Laurels tomorrow for advice) all the way along the grass edge behind the walls and railings to brighten up Dartmouth Road. Thumbsup

Michael do you know if we are allowed to paint the walls, or know who I should contact at Lewisham Council to get permission? I couldn't possibly just go ahead without permission at midnight with a torch attached to my head!

P1971

23-01-2014 12:16 AM

I don't mind saying this, but it's the same people time and time again that get stuck in and try to make FH better, but loads seem to read the posts and have an opinion, but don't do anything about it. No brainer get stuck in all and help make SE23 better than it is allready. Anotherjohn, Michael, Cellardoor, Snazy, campervantim, Deano, MrNumbers, notttinghillbilly and more you all do loads for FH, hope more follow in your footsteps!

Sorry for the kick up the bottom, but we all just need to do that little bit more to make where we live even more amazing!

As Marvin Gaye said "Lets get it on"

This post was last modified: 23-01-2014 12:21 AM by P1971.

Anotherjohn

23-01-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:
As Marvin Gaye said "Lets get it on"

I'm not sure he was talking about painting a wall though!

PVP

23-01-2014 10:26 AM

Interestingly a friend who moved into the area several years ago has noticed a change in the latest influx. Whereas those who arrived a few years had a very positive attitude in improving things, volunteer at their kids schools, etc, the newest arrivals seem to complain all the time but not offer to help themselves. Perhaps this is what happens when people with more money move into the area? Hopefully this is not everyone's experience as I have always found most people to be very agreeable.

Anotherjohn

23-01-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:
the newest arrivals seem to complain all the time but not offer to help themselves. Perhaps this is what happens when people with more money move into the area?

I have met many of the newcomers and a lot of them are very willing to muck in. I just think it's the time of year and the diabolical weather that's making the prospect quite uninspiring at the moment. Mark my words - when the call comes in the spring there will be an army of volunteers for every local community project.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields