SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Dartmouth Road attitudes & behaviours
ssmikes

15-12-2013 10:07 PM

Hi All,

I have lived in Forest Hill for 27 years and have been generally happy with the neighbourhood and people. Until recently (2-3 years or so) I have never before encountered such appalling attitudes and behaviour. Not just driving but walking around especially Dartmouth Road, the anti social youths/hoodies, the noise, the drivers and the nasty looks for just saying excuse me.

I know we have had the 'usual' drunks along Dartmouth but this is different and relatively new. People so casually throwing litter about the place, smoking (not tobacco) in broad daylight, large groups of youths, idiots on high powered bikes and the youth crowds which gather outside FH station/WHSmiths late at night, making a night out return journey every so slightly intimidating even for a 6'2 broad shouldered man.

For example, today I was driving along Dartmouth with a silver Volvo in front of me, he performed an emergency stop thus forcing me and the cars behind to do so, only to simply undo his window and have a chat with his mate who just got out of a parked car! Correct me if I am wrong but this isnt normal behaviour right? It wasnt like a quick "Hi" either.

That car turned off up Thorpewood, a little down the street a blacked out Ford Fiesta drove directly at me at high speed, again forcing me to take action. This is pretty regular to be honest.

Just around the corner along Waldram Park place or avenue can't remember the name exactly. But had turned the corner was driving normal speed nothing slow nor fast about half way down a hoddy just strolled across the road, I obviously stopped he then slowed down and gave me a really nasty look and then the finger. He wasnt at a crossing or by the bollards just a random place to walk out. This sort of behaviour has happened to me time and time again recently and has been getting worse.

Maybe its just me, maybe a sheltered life!? But has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robin orton

16-12-2013 10:32 AM

My wife and I have been walking or driving along Dartmouth Road several times a week, at various times of day and evening, for over thirty years, and we have never encountered this sort of behaviour.

P1971

16-12-2013 12:08 PM

Hi ssmikes

I think the title of this thread is very unfair, especially as Waldram Park Road (If that is the rd you are referring too) is off Stanstead Road and FH Station and WH Smith is actually on Devonshire Road not Dartmouth Road.

michael

16-12-2013 12:11 PM

I don't think poor driving is something limited to Dartmouth Road or even Forest Hill. Things are much worse north of the river!

Snazy

16-12-2013 12:18 PM

I would chalk it down to one irritating action snowballing, and compounding the rest of them. I get that on the way too and from work some days too. Its not restricted to one area, thats for sure.

Always winds you up SO tight though when things happen one after another.

Hope things get better Thumbup

Anotherjohn

16-12-2013 12:53 PM

What a ridiculous heading for this thread!

Don't get me wrong, ssmikes, I find this type of behaviour as disgusting as you do - and I sympathise - but you are totally wrong to suggest (as your heading does) that that the whole of Dartmouth Road is a ghetto where everyone is no good. I hate to tell you, but these sort of occurrences are far more widespread than you think in today's society; and it absolutely sickens me!

BringOutTheCranston

16-12-2013 01:44 PM

I usually lurk on this site but this post has incensed me so much that it's time for my first post. You have described a series of traffic incidents and then somehow associated it with 'anti-social youths'.

Firstly most 'youths' will be too young or wouldn't be able to afford to drive. I suspect that these traffic incidents were caused by adults.

Secondly young people (as I would prefer to call them) have enough trouble in this world without being demonised for doing nothing more than hanging around with their friends in the town centre - something I'm sure that most of us did when old enough to go out but not old enough to get into pubs.

You are allowed to hang around with your friends without paranoid adults assuming that you are up to no good and trying to get you moved along.

If you see crime then you should call the police but if young people are just taking advantage of their basic human right to assemble peaceably then that's their business and the rest of us should get over ourselves.

P1971

16-12-2013 02:58 PM

Very well said BringOutTheCranston I totally agree.

Cheeky

16-12-2013 03:31 PM

because stepping out in front of a car as if you own the road, causing cars to actually slow down to a stop and then giving them the finger isn't anti social?

Riiiiiiiiight, some would actually call that threatening, not just anti social.

Baboonery

16-12-2013 04:38 PM

'WH Smiths isn't on Dartmouth Road, it's on Devonshire Road' is pretty weak, to be honest. Though having lived on Dartmouth Road for five years until 2011, I don't think it's any worse than anywhere else.

P1971

16-12-2013 04:43 PM

Cheeky that part of the post I agree with you is anti-social/threatening, but I think the point that BringOutTheCranston is making is that it's not necessarily young people/youth's that are causing trouble just because they may hang around in groups or wear hoodie's, which I think is unfair to assume too, and that if you are driving you would be classed as an adult so It's probably adult's not young people/youth's that are guilty here.

Anotherjohn you hit the nail in the head!
That's exactly the impression I got when I read the title of this thread.

mikes86

16-12-2013 04:58 PM

Hi All,

Like I said this was just a few examples from one short road journey in one day. Yes I completely admit there is much worse places to live, but that's not the point why in the last few years have general attitudes and respect dropped so dramatically for your fellow man/women. As Anotherjohn points out it's today's society in general.

Anotherjohn, I wasn't suggesting for one minute that the whole of FH or Dartmouth was a ghetto! by far I know it's not. Most of the time it is a nice place to live. But I feel this has degraded recently.

I think Snazy has a point, what happened on this day really grated me and just brought to bare everything that had happened over the past.

Maybe the title was a little disingenuous then, more of an outburst in response to the days travels etc.

Lastly BringOutTheCranston, don't get me wrong I know its not all youths (young people) and I am not some 'old crony' having a moan I am still in my 20s so young myself. It's just what I see and hear travelling around. Maybe it just happens to me then and no one else see's it or should I say wants to see it!

kelly

16-12-2013 07:08 PM

Dear ssmikes
For the last 10 years I have owned a bar in the middle of Dartmouth rd,I live above the bar so I spent 24 hrs a day 7 days a week on Dartmouth rd,not only do I not recognise your view of our road I believe it to be harmful to those businesses and potential property buyers who may be interested in joining our merry gang who have worked so hard to move this road forward
When I came here 10 years ago the bars and the street were full of many undesirable people carrying guns,knives and all sorts of weapons,there was huge amounts of drug related problems and consistent fights,over the years the bars have majorly improved bringing with it new people with better attitudes,there is always the exception,but I would say that Dartmouth rd is a calmer,more polite,more helpful more interesting road now than it has ever been in the last 10 years,what is letting it down is our council as very little money has been spent on the road it's self [/i]

Londondrz

16-12-2013 07:47 PM

Forest Hill is a nice place to live but saying there are not undesirable elements is akin to putting you head in the sand.

Parking on the Dartmouth road does get out of hand and there can be an intimidating atmosphere at times, let's not kid ourselves, we are talking about Slickmans. Now some is perception and some reality but please let's not pretend there are no issues that need looking at.

If any of you feel that it all sweetness and light then please have a word at the two yoof who have threatened to kill me over the last year or so. One was when I pointed out that maybe they shouldn't be riding their scooter the wrong way down Manor Mount (brilliantly sorted out by the local police) and the other was a young lady that took exception to my pointing out that maybe she should use a bin instead of the station forecourt to dump her fast food (she was in a new flash car BTW). She was going to have me shot as I " didn't know who I was f@#£:£;g with"

Maybe I am just a crime magnet or maybe the OP has a point.

OakR

16-12-2013 08:24 PM

ssmikes

1. Welcome to the forum Smile

2. Your post seemed fair enough to me, forums are meant for venting. I can understand business owners on Dartmouth Road who are trying to continue improving the area not being to keen on this, but you feel the way you feel.

Anotherjohn

16-12-2013 08:42 PM

Londondrz - I don't believe you're any more of a crime magnet than anyone else and, yes, I agree the OP does have a point; but only to a point.

As you have alluded to, there have been many problems in Manor Mount with people driving the wrong way down the one-way part, which have then led to varying degrees of argy-bargy, but I believe it would be unfair to start a thread 'MANOR MOUNT - ATTITUDES AND BEHAVIOUR STINK!' because it's more general and widespread than that.

The main thing for me is that are lots of people around here like you who care and who will confront wrong-doers; and, as Kelly says, this has made some improvement.

It's beyond any of us to alter what's happening in our society so I (probably like you and other posters, ssmikes included) just try to do the best I can on my little patch.

Perryman

16-12-2013 08:53 PM

How dare pedestrian scum slow up traffic.

P1971

16-12-2013 08:59 PM

Londondrz I'm not saying Dartmouth Road has any less undesirable's than the rest of Forest Hill or London as a whole, but not any more. This thread, especially the title might well be very damaging to us shop's on Dartmouth Road, and most of us try so hard to do what we can for local's. I personally feel so upset about this as we really don't need this right now.

Londondrz

16-12-2013 09:09 PM

P1971, I don't want to damage anyone's business, remember I live here and shop locally.

What I am saying is don't bury your head in the sand and pretend there are not issues.

If we all stand up to the less desirable elements in FH then we make it a far nicer place for ALL of us, not just businesses.

I get threatened because I stand up for myself, FH and what I feel is right. I am not suggesting anyone puts themselves in harms way but challenge some behavior. See a school kid throw their crisp packet on the floor next to a bin. Pick it up, hand it back to them and tell them they will get it in the next time...etc.

P1971

16-12-2013 09:15 PM

New poster's BringOutTheCranston, mike86/ssmike think you are the same person. Just to let you know I am a local resident and local trader and my post's and view's are based on both, hence why I get a bit emotional sometime's. Welcome to the forum and SE23 if you are new to the area.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields