SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Dartmouth Road attitudes & behaviours
P1971

16-12-2013 10:29 PM

Londondrz you are not, It's the title that worries me as some people just look at title's and not the post's.
I'm not sure how well you know me, but most that do know I am up for doing all I can to make FH better for all local's, please pop in for a chat because I have load's I need help with.

This post was last modified: 16-12-2013 10:36 PM by P1971.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

16-12-2013 11:14 PM

Full of cold but will pop in tomorrow and say Hi.

mikes86

16-12-2013 11:52 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all for your comments. I wanted to find out if anyone else has had similar encounters. Maybe I should of put 'some' in the titleSmile. It really wasn't a dig at FH area. I do like living here but as I said I've been experiencing appalling attitudes. Kelly I certainly do not want to harm local business in our area and I applauded those people for helping to improve the area.

LondonZ you mention an encounter with a women outside FH station after asking if she dropped her trash she started to threaten you. I had a similar encounter, a few months back I was crossing the road by WHSmith and a young lady bumped into me whilst crossing, I was very apologetic and said sorry only to receive a torrent of abuse and similar comments, I just carried on walking. Plenty of other experiences from myself, friends and family in the area, which really puts me off walking around. Hence the post.

Thanks to all who have welcomed me to the forum, I've been reading a few for a while now and posted on one or two but never started my own.

mikes86

16-12-2013 11:59 PM

Oh by the way yes both names ssmikes and mikes86 are me I don't know why it keeps swapping. I only have one account!

P1971

16-12-2013 11:59 PM

londondrz I look forward to seeing you tomorrow, hope you are feeling better by then, and It's great to end this post on a positive.

Have a think about these before you pop in tomorrow.

- Any shop/outlet that you have had a bad experience with give me details and I can have a chat and pass on info to local group's.

-All new market idea's that you think would work in the area (non food) would be greatly appreciated from me.

-General comment's on how you think the High Street could be more attractive, which I will happily pass on to all concerned.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Pauline

Red67

17-12-2013 01:06 AM

mikes86, if you are concerned about repeated episodes of threatening behaviour in the area, contact the local Met SNT http://content.met.police.uk/Team/Lewisham/ForestHill
I've always found them to be very helpful and keen to address issues that are brought to their attention....there is a one to one drop in surgery at Forest Hill Library on 19th Dec where you can speak to the PCSO's who are out on patrol in the area. Go along and talk to them.

rbmartin

17-12-2013 01:25 PM

I've been in FH late at night in the streets the OP mentions and have felt perfectly safe, even when people congregate outside the Capitol on a Friday and Saturday night near to closing time.

Cellar Door

17-12-2013 04:04 PM

rbmartin wrote:
...and have felt perfectly safe, even when people congregate outside the Capitol on a Friday and Saturday night near to closing time.

That is usually me and my lot.

The Capitol have the most wonderful door staff from Thursday to Saturday.

This all started after a couple of foreigners, and amazingly not Aussies, kicked off during one of the Italy football matches that they broadcast on their BIG screen last summer.

Two girls.

Italian, judging by their accent.

It was quite hilarious.

Unfortunately, a chair went through a window. Police were sent for.

Think of a Western bar fight. We were all back to supping our refreshments within 10 minutes, or so, while the piano-man played on.

I like the door staff at The Capitol. They make everyone feel safe. One of my near neighbours works there part-time while she is studying at Uni. Her Mum and Dad also feel so much happier with this good, sensible arrangement by The Capitol.

And it appears to be getting busier every Friday night. Lots and lots of well dressed people relaxing, meeting up before a big night in the West End or up in the exciting East End or down at the busy, busy Croydon spots around Tiger Tiger. And it is open when they get back for a cheeky one.

The door staff are all very highly trained. Exceptionally friendly. (I used to be one once a million years ago in Oz. I was useless. I could duck a drunken punch though which was all that I needed to do back then.)

I like it when the door staff arrive. They walk around the vast old cinema and say "Howdy" to the same annoying faces like mine.

They start work well before the 10pm curfew in the beer garden. After they have cleared us out of the garden, they have two of them on the main floor and two or three on the door.

I have a feeling that the Wetherspoon Group may just turn this prime outlet of theirs into a Lloyds No. 1. That'd be interesting for Forest Hill.

Just remember SE23 forumite that you read this unsubstantiated rumour right here.

This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 04:05 PM by Cellar Door.

Benderish

17-12-2013 04:46 PM

Cellar Door - We Aussie's don't really care for lesser sport like soccer so we don't get to involved. Rugby League, Rugby Union or dare I mention, the Ashes (whoo!!!) we get a little more passionate about!

Thumbsup

Cellar Door

17-12-2013 04:58 PM

Benderish wrote:
We Aussie's don't really care for lesser sport like soccer...

I KNOW!

The locals over here do get quite excited over this soccer malarkey.

And it is so nice that the Ashes have been rightfully returned to their proper home.

All is now right with the world.

michael

17-12-2013 05:13 PM

One of the nice things I like about Forest Hill is how friendly everybody is. Now I'll admit that I probably know people in the area than most people, but it is so nice to know so many business owners by name and for them to recognise me and my family.

It is lovely to stop and chat with people whether it be on the street, in shops they own and care for, in Sainsburys, at the markets, or occasionally in the pub. Or just to wave to Aga as I wander past the shop.

When I was showing a potential shop owner around the area it really made an impression on him just how friendly everybody was, and what a community there is. There is no better advertisement for the area than how nice people are.

So if there are a few rude people, we also have so many nice people in Forest Hill. It is too easy to dwell on the times people are rude or aggressive towards us, but it is nice to balance that with all the times people give us a smile or take the time to have a chat.

Londondrz

17-12-2013 05:16 PM

Popped into say Hi to P1971 just a school kicking out time, doh! Will catch up in the New Year.

Re The Capitol, top place. Really good beer in there.

P1971

17-12-2013 07:43 PM

Hi Londondrz
Thank you so much for popping in to say hi earlier. It was lovely to meet you. I'm so sorry our chat was a brief one due to the after school rush, and I look forward to seeing you in the New Year. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

P1971

17-12-2013 10:49 PM

Hi Michael

Your last post is exactly why I love living and trading in FH. I am alway's in a great mood when I open as I have walked past shop's/businesses on Perry Vale, Devonshire Road and Dartmouth Road on my way to work waving and saying morning to all and getting a cheery grin and wave back too. London Road/St David Rd shopkeeper's are the same, I don't alway's get a chance to get down there but alway's get the same reception when I do.

Coconut mushroom's on me for you know who when you are passing for doing so much for FH voluntary.

Sherwood

18-12-2013 08:49 AM

I must be missing out on all the action. I never see any of this!

BT

18-12-2013 09:09 AM

Why do so many people on here insist on calling it ST DAVIDS ROAD.

ITS DAVIDS ROAD and always has been.

http://tinyurl.com/pyqzygt

This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 09:11 AM by BT.

Cellar Door

18-12-2013 09:22 AM

BT wrote:
ITS DAVIDS ROAD and always has been

Is it Davids Road or David's Road?

This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 09:22 AM by Cellar Door.

Anotherjohn

18-12-2013 09:28 AM

Bt -

'Why do so many people on here insist on calling it ST DAVIDS ROAD'

It's probably in honour and recognition of the local importance of that damn good little coffee shop down there! (Minus the s in Davids of course)

Cellar Door

18-12-2013 09:36 AM

Anotherjohn wrote:
It's probably in honour and recognition of the local importance of that damn good little coffee shop down there!

Agreed.

You have inspired me, Anotherjohn.

I was going to go to the gym. But a nice cup of their java and a slice of cake sounds like a better way to start the day.

I am off there now. Whatever the road is called.

michael

18-12-2013 10:04 AM

In 1890 it had an apostrophe according to the map:

Google Maps also shows it with an apostrophe (see http://goo.gl/maps/vD5Qj)

But the road signs say 'Davids Road' http://goo.gl/maps/zCyJJ

I hope that over the festive period some light-headed person does not take a bottle of tipp-ex to the mistaken signage. I would have to strongly condemn such acts of vandalism.

P.S. Tipp-ex can be purchased from WHSmith, just a short distance from some of these poorly punctuated signs.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields