SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
AA Bill car parked next to Old Bank, HOP
daveherne

11-12-2013 01:15 PM

I find that AA bill car really annoying parked next to the old bank. Is that kind of advertising allowed?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

11-12-2013 01:34 PM

Advertising on parked cars is not allowed. Local police should be able to do something about it (I reported one on Honor Oak Road a few months ago to the Forest Hill team).
Old Bank is in Crofton Park: CroftonPark.SNT@met.police.uk

Snazy

11-12-2013 05:31 PM

Is it not allowed?
They irritate me too, but thought as long as the cars was MOT'ed taxed and insured, then you could have what you wanted on it, other than a price if it is for sale. Confused

Good if this is NOT allowed though, as they are a PITA!

daveherne

11-12-2013 05:46 PM

aha, seems this is not a new problem!

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4275

BarCar

12-12-2013 07:54 AM

Lewisham's position is that, so long as they are taxed and insured, there is nothing they can do.

I was toying with the idea of parking across AA Bills' gate in Boveney Road until they move them...

Wink

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

12-12-2013 01:32 PM

AA Bill also like to rivet signs to old bikes and bolt them to fences and railings around the area although most of the ones I spotted a couple of months ago seem to have disappeared.

Duckling

12-12-2013 02:01 PM

Location aside, I would have thought that Automobile Association might have a long-standing registered trademark in the relevant category?

BarCar

12-12-2013 02:07 PM

So AA Bill have cars permanently parked at:

• Grierson Road at junction with Honor Oak Park
  • Coulgate Street at junction with Brockley Cross
  • Stondon Park - opposite the junction with Holmesley Road
  • Canonbie Road at junction with Forest Hill Road
  • Perry Hill opposite Ardley Close (outside Livesey Hall)
  • Sydenham Hill
  • Brockley Grove
Any others?

At what point does the permanent blocking of parking spots with effective billboards become considered anti-social?

This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 02:09 PM by BarCar.

BarCar

12-12-2013 03:04 PM

South London Press are willing to consider running a story about this if some locals are prepared to have their photo taken for the article. Anybody willing to join a group photo?

Contact is kate.gould@slp.co.uk.

hoona

12-12-2013 03:18 PM

Sorry but I don't exactly see what the problem is here...
Are they considered an eyesore? Or is it a problem with parking spaces being taken up?
I think in these economic times we should be sympathetic to people advertising their businesses, be that on signs, in shop windows, on cars, bikes....
I've seen nice bikes with adverts on them in places like Shoreditch and nobody seems to complain about them. Is it because they look pretty?
Also a bit unfair to mention where this guy lives. It's all getting a bit East Dulwich Forum on here[/u] if you ask me...

BarCar

12-12-2013 03:26 PM

Eyesores - yes.
At least 7 parking spaces in the local area permanently unavailable to local residents for 3+ years - yes.
Anti-social - yes.

This is not somebody driving a van/car advertising their business and parking outside their house or business in the course of their regular trade.

This is somebody parking a permanent billboard outside your front door and not moving it for months/years on end. If you're happy with that then by all means call AA Bill and give them your address. They don't operate from these locations and have no connections with them.

As to posting his address. I have no idea where he lives. I posted the street he lists as his business address in the Yellow Pages (http://www.yell.com/biz/aa-bill-recoveri...n-6065184/) - a matter of public record.

I haven't seen the pretty bikes of Shoreditch but if they were a nuisance I'd complain about them too.

daveherne

12-12-2013 04:11 PM

+1 barcar.

this is anti-social and an eyesore and taking places from local residents and visitors to the high street.

Snazy

12-12-2013 05:14 PM

Have to agree, while I applaud the ingenuity to advertise a business, 1 vehicle, close to the business is ok, but putting them all over the place, especially in areas of limited parking is a bit annoying.

BarCar

02-01-2014 07:51 AM

Their car on Grierson Road has been moved to Brockley Rise. Near the school IIRC.

BarCar

26-09-2014 12:55 PM

AA Bill's latest anti-social advertising parking spot is in the disabled parking bay by the shops on Brockley Rise (this link shows the location https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.448506...AJiPEQ!2e0)

The car windshield has already been stickered by somebody who presumably needed a disabled parking bay to visit the shops.

There's a blue-badge on the dashboard to keep it within the letter of the law so the council are presumably impotent.

davidwhiting

26-09-2014 02:39 PM

It may of course be that the AA Bill car is legitimately using a blue badge in this case.

However, in general terms, the local authority is responsible for fraudulent use of real or forged blue badges, so I'd suggest referring the matter to them so they can investigate.

I gather blue badge misuse and fraud are quite common.

Also, the display of advertising on stationary buildings is covered by planning guidance. See the following:

http://planningguidance.planningportal.g...tisements/

Sherwood

26-09-2014 03:21 PM

I thought that Lewisham Trading Standards dealt with this.

davidwhiting

26-09-2014 03:41 PM

Just notice an error. It should be "display of advertising on stationary vehicles" not "stationary buildings".

davidwhiting

26-09-2014 03:43 PM

It's trading standards if the claims in the advertising are misleading or whatever.

Planning is concerned with the existence of the advertising in the first place.

angusvanfrehley

01-10-2014 07:32 AM

In all fairness AA Bill should not be parking in front of the gate in Boveney Rd, that gate is in fact a garage access lane for the houses on that section of Boveney Rd.

People assume that the 'no parking' sign on the gate is for his benefit, which is not the case, he uses it freely as his personal parking space and roadside workshop.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields