SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Changes to Waldenshaw Rd / Taymount Rise Junction
NewForester

23-06-2008 08:52 AM

I have just received the following from London Streets

Quote:
Transport for London (TfL) Street Management is committed to improving London's busiest Roads, the Red Routes, for pedestrians, cyclists, bus passengers, people with disabilities and all road users. We are working to maximise the efficiency of London's road network and maintain its good condition.

A road safety problem has been identified on the A205 London Road at the junctions with Waldenshaw Road and Taymount Rise. Proposals to address the problems have been drawn up and include:
  • Installing central road markings (hatching) on London Rd to deter overtaking;
  • Providing right turn 'pockets' for vehicles turning right into Waldenhaw Road and Taymount Rise;
  • Removing part of the Catford bound bus lane so that vehicles turning left into Waldenshaw Road do not make a late turn at the end of the bus lane;
  • Removing the bus stop just before Waldenshaw Road, to allow for a central traffic island to protect right turners into Waldenshaw Road and Taymount Rise.
A drawing of the proposed layout is attached

I'm not sure how widely London Streets have circulated this. Please get your comments back to joseph.bicheno@projectcentre.co.uk by Friday, 11 July. The new road markings are shown in black on the attached drawing; deletions are shown in red

Personally, I do not think they have the right solution yet. London Road is still wide enough at the junction with Taymount Rise for impatient drivers trying to sneak up the outside and hit people turning right out of Taymount Rise. Also, this does nothing to slow down traffic coming down the hill from the Horniman.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

23-06-2008 09:04 AM

Looks good to me. I'll be able to get to Sainsburys without going all the way to the pedestrian crossing. It will be easier to turn into Taymount Rise, and probably easier to get out. People turning into Waldenshaw will no longer block the traffic.

Will the loss of the bus stop inconvenience many people? For me this bus stop has always been useless as I had to walk back up or continue down to a crossing to get across the road.

ForestGump

23-06-2008 09:37 AM

Does this fit in with the extension of the Dartmouth Road controlled parking zone.

Snazy

23-06-2008 09:42 AM

Makes good sense to me too, if i am picturing it correctly.

sue

23-06-2008 09:47 AM

Can I suggest to all Taymount Rise residents that we request a yellow box junction, or at the very least a "keep clear" section in the London Road at the foot of Taymount Rise. I find it impossible at times to turn right out of the road, or turn right into the road during the rush hours because of the traffic tailing across the foot of the road. I think this small change would help us all.

On a separate note, I've responded to the letter by e-mailing Joseph Bicheno as stated in the letter, but have had an automated reply to say he's out of the office until 8 August. Bearing in mind we have to get our replies in by 11 July, is this a crafty way of ensuring they don't have to take account of our opinions?

Sherwood

23-06-2008 11:53 AM

I oftn find it dangerous when vehicles suddenly turn left from the right hand lane.

Londondrz

23-06-2008 01:19 PM

I am concerned about an increase in drivers going down Waldenshaw Road as a rat run and the small minority of drivers who use it as an excuse to see how quickly they can get down the road. I would like to see a 20 mph limit here. Not sure how much effect it will have as most motorists ignore the yellow box junction there already.

foxe

23-06-2008 02:39 PM

It's the only road you can use to get to Sainsbury's car park so it's inevitably a rat run of sorts. I blame the council for forcing us to use it instead of letting us use Davids Road which would be much quicker.

Traffic plans look quite good to me.

Londondrz

23-06-2008 02:41 PM

True but the Sainsbury's users dont tend to bomb down the road. There is one bloke in a Mitsubishi Evo that tears down there every night, one night he and I are going to have a chat.

foxe

23-06-2008 02:42 PM

about his taste in cars?

Londondrz

23-06-2008 03:22 PM

Laugh

NewForester

23-06-2008 04:07 PM

Sue wrote:
On a separate note, I've responded to the letter by e-mailing Joseph Bicheno as stated in the letter, but have had an automated reply to say he's out of the office until 8 August. Bearing in mind we have to get our replies in by 11 July, is this a crafty way of ensuring they don't have to take account of our opinions?

I just spoke to his colleague and Joseph is on holiday until 8th July, not August. The 'road safety problem' they are trying to address is apparently one of left turners into Waldenshaw Road cutting up buses and nothing to do with pedestrians or walls getting knocked down, nor accidents involving people creating their own lane to turn right onto Honor Oak Road. I think they need to widen their brief.

foxe

23-06-2008 04:23 PM

Anything that gets rid of even part of a bus lane gets my vote.

brian

23-06-2008 04:43 PM

How about the turning into Honor Oak Road from London Road. Cannot see why no pedestrian crossing here. Very dangerous especially on Sundays when loads of people with children walking to Horniman's.

Snazy

23-06-2008 07:25 PM

Speaking of that junction London Rd/ HR Road... maybe even phasing the lights properly would be a good start. The switch from one to the other is far to fast, hence the number of collisions.

I do agree with that though, there should be a pedestrian facility somewhere. However I think the smaller crossing a few yards further back onto London Road is the chosen route that has been "given" by Lewisham or TfL.
Possibly the thinking on this one is to discourage pedestrians from walking up past the entrance/exit of the busy petrol station, which in itself is quite dangerous.

Inconvinient I would agree, but safe things usually are Sad

davidl

23-06-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:
The 'road safety problem' they are trying to address is apparently one of left turners into Waldenshaw Road cutting up buses

There's a couple of places on the South Circ round here where buses can get a good bit of speed up and at time the drivers don't seem to have any interest in yielding to people who want to turn left - just before Wastdale Road is another. Interesting that the powers that be have decided that the solution is to change the road layout rather than educate drivers (of either cars or buses).

Would be good if the opportunity could be seized (since they're spending the money anyway) to do something positive about the road layout - to improve the lot of pedestrians wanting to get across as well as the drivers turning perhaps by staging and slowing the traffic down, but overall moving it more quickly - am sure it's not all completely incompatible.

I agree with Snazy - without wishing to rehash the many previous arguments on this, the amount of faffing you have to do to walk from FH station to the Horniman safely is ridiculous, and the situation as you drive in the opposite direction is barely any better.

seeformiles

24-06-2008 07:41 PM

I use the bus stop opposite Taymount Rise, so I'll miss it.

koza

25-06-2008 10:22 AM

works for me, i think it's the right thing to do

NewForester

31-07-2008 04:58 PM

Here are the results of TfL's consultation. The bus lane and bus stop are to go, the traffic island may be a pedestrian refuge and Taymount Rise is to get 'Keep Clear' painted on the road...

A205 LONDON ROAD - WALDENSHAW ROAD/TAYMOUNT RISE JUNCTION IMPROVEMENT
CONSULTATION SUMMARY
COMMENT RECEIVED
TfL RESPONSE
Object to the removal of the eastbound bus stop (8 comments)
The aim of this scheme is to reduce traffic accidents. In the 3 year period to the end of July 2007 there were 13 accidents involving personal injury including one with serious injury and steps must be taken to tackle this problem. Analysis of these accidents revealed that 9 out of the 13 accidents involved vehicles turning into or out of Waldenshaw Road/Taymount Rise. The proposed scheme seeks to address this situation by providing right turn lanes into both side roads, protecting turning vehicles with a traffic island and removing the conflict of left turning vehicles and those vehicles heading straight on in the bus lane. The proposed removal of the bus stop is necessary part of the scheme. The Designers have considered whether the bus stop could be relocated but unfortunately there are no suitable alternatives.
Request Keep Clear or Yellow Box markings on the A205 at the junction with Taymount Rise (5 comments)
It is agreed that the introduction of a "Keep Clear" marking at the junction will help drivers to enter and exit Taymount Rise when there is queuing on the A205. This will be included in the scheme.
Request retention of the eastbound bus lane.
The bus lane cannot be retained with the scheme in its current format. The intention is to remove this short section of bus lane to remove the conflict between vehicles turning left into Waldeshaw Road with those vehicles (mainly motor cyclists and pedal cyclists) who are travelling straight ahead in the bus lane on the A205.
Unclear on reasons for (or against) the introduction of the traffic island
The traffic island will prevent drivers from overtaking slow moving or turning vehicles on the A205 and will protect those drivers wishing to turn into or out of Waldenshaw Road and Taymount Rise.
Wants traffic island upgraded to a controlled pedestrian crossing.
No accidents involving pedestrians were recorded in the 3 year period examined. A controlled crossing would, therefore, be difficult to justify as part of this project particularly as there is a controlled crossing situated on the A205 just to the west of the scheme. However, the designers are considering whether the traffic island could be constructed as a pedestrian refuge which would allow people to cross the A205 in two stages.
Concerns about traffic being closer to residential property and the difficulties that will result for residents reversing out of their driveways
Although the removal of the bus lane will result in other traffic being closer to the residential properties this is outweighed by the benefits resulting from reducing vehicle speeds and accidents. For safety reasons, drivers should exit their properties in a forward gear.
Various concerns were raised about safety at junction of the A205 with Honor Oak Road and Manor Mount
Whilst outside the scope of this project, these safety concerns are noted

For your information, the removal of the eastbound bus lane situated to the west of Waldenshaw Road will require a Traffic Order. This Traffic Order will be advertised in the local papers and on site and people will have a further opportunity to make comments or object to the proposals during this formal consultation period.

Baboonery

31-07-2008 05:03 PM

Good. I hate that bus stop. Unless the traffic's bad and I'm going to Sainsbury's.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vehicle Break ins - Taymount Rise taymountgrange 5 4,964 10-11-2022 10:14 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  The Mount Taymount Rise in 1955? Chris 7 7,956 21-08-2022 08:46 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Stanstead Rd/South Circular closed at Brockley Rise junction ChrisR 1 3,007 24-05-2022 08:49 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  L and Q - Major works on Taymount Rise and close by james wilcox 1 4,972 19-11-2021 10:00 AM
Last Post: taymountgrange
  Water Leak in Taymount Rise admin 0 3,279 30-05-2016 07:47 AM
Last Post: admin
  Taymount Rise Roundabout Tree Cutting, Tuesday 25th August Contrary Mary 0 3,419 24-08-2015 04:20 PM
Last Post: Contrary Mary
  Taymount Rise Incident james wilcox 6 9,286 13-02-2015 03:44 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  taymount rise crime thiscat 4 7,316 01-01-2015 01:48 AM
Last Post: MT2014
  Stanstead Road / Brockley Rise junction lights. Snazy 39 39,318 10-07-2014 08:49 AM
Last Post: BringOutTheCranston
  Helicopter over Taymount Rise Thursday Morning nottinghillbilly 8 8,799 28-04-2014 11:58 AM
Last Post: Snazy
  Taymount Rise Destiny 6 10,990 28-10-2013 09:25 AM
Last Post: michael
  Mugging on Taymount Rise laurag 2 5,990 22-04-2013 09:24 PM
Last Post: hillsideresident
  Lucy the Cat on Taymount Rise nottinghillbilly 9 10,097 09-04-2013 07:04 PM
Last Post: aswaspooluser
  Police presence on Taymount rise Sun 26/11/12 nottinghillbilly 1 5,187 25-11-2012 10:12 PM
Last Post: IWereAbsolutelyFuming
  HOP / Brockley Rise junction cameras theplanner 1 5,662 09-03-2012 10:17 PM
Last Post: madimama
  Trees in Taymount Rise seeformiles 9 10,702 05-10-2011 12:56 PM
Last Post: seeformiles
  rubbish dumping on Taymount Rise nottinghillbilly 3 5,972 29-07-2011 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Pesky Cat on Taymount Rise bell 5 8,101 08-07-2011 02:08 PM
Last Post: Satchers
  Taymount Rise - permit only parking? ForestHillier 3 6,565 28-05-2011 06:08 PM
Last Post: brian
  Early morning building work - Taymount Rise seeformiles 7 16,875 16-05-2011 09:55 PM
Last Post: seeformiles