SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Sainsburys big freeze
roz

08-12-2013 08:32 AM

You may have noticed that Sainsburys is colder than usual due to their having no heating. Their plant has broken down and the part still has to be made so they are talking about well into January before its fixed.

Apart from being a cold shopping experience for customers its not a legally compliant workplace at under 9 degrees in many parts of the store. The min requirement is 13 degrees for that type of workplace. Management have provided till staff with heaters but I still think its poor and staff I know working in the aisles have been complaining about it. I certainly felt underdressed in there yesterday and there are particular cold spots due to the refrigeration units and ventilation ducts.

No one wants the shop to shut in the lead up to Xmas but I think it would be good for the public to both appreciate the stoicism of the staff and also remind the management of their obligations towards health and safety and keep the pressure on re facilities. It was definitely colder in there yesterday than it was outside!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nitoda

08-12-2013 09:49 AM

Is this the big Sainsbury's in Forest Hill or the Local at HOP?

roz

08-12-2013 10:00 AM

Its Forest Hill.

Cellar Door

08-12-2013 12:38 PM

roz wrote:
No one wants the shop to shut in the lead up to Xmas...

...it would be good for the public to both appreciate the stoicism of the staff...

...remind the management of their obligations towards health and safety and keep the pressure on re facilities.

A very thoughtful post, roz.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

roz wrote:
It was definitely colder in there yesterday than it was outside!

If that be the case, then they might be able to turn the refrigeration units off.
Saving money from:

1. Electricity costs.
2. Possible reduction in compensation claims for frostbite! (From both staff working in the aisle and brave customers that decide to stay in there for very long.)

Once this starts to hit their daily P&L, from customers either staying away or doing a reduced shopping visit, then we will see some swift action from Sainsbury's HQ.

One good thing that may come from a lack of sales is that the reduced section will start to overflow until they adjust their stock ordering. Until then, bargain hunters rejoice! I am putting on my thermals as I type and nipping down to Sainos to check out any reductions.

Thank you again roz. Your focus on the health of Sainsbury's staff is very admirable.

rshdunlop

08-12-2013 10:58 PM

Perhaps P1971 could relocate her grotto there, for an authentic North Pole experience?

P1971

09-12-2013 05:18 PM

rshdunlop that's not such a crazy idea seeing as the manager's of FH Sainsburys kindly made a very swift decision to donate some of the gift's for The Grotto, but Santa will be staying in D Rd for the duration unless he or Mrs Claus decide to go for a ride around FH next weekend!!!

hillsideresident

09-12-2013 05:47 PM

I'm disgusted with the Sainsbury's management over this. I can understand a problem with the heating, but they are not allowing their staff to wear coats, or whatever else they need in order to stay warm. This is a most unusual situation. Surely the normal rules about dress should not apply?

It's OK for us - we've come off the street in our coats. But the staff are actually cold, all through their shift. Older members of staff will get ill through this, and it's very unpleasant for anyone.

Local newspaper story?

rshdunlop

09-12-2013 06:45 PM

There are body warmers, jackets and gloves as part of the Sainsburys uniform. Are staff not being issued with these?

P1971

09-12-2013 07:31 PM

Hillsideresident I would have thought this would be down to head office rather than on site management to make a decision on this kind of thing, but I may be wrong so if anyone has more info please post.
I totally agree that staff should be able to wear extra clothing like what rshdunlop mentioned in a previous post and they may well be allowed, or they may not be allowed I don't know because I don't work there. I do hope that all staff keep warm and well.

PollyEster63

10-12-2013 12:47 PM

I was talking to a member of staff yesterday, by the self scan, and they said it was down to HR to get it fixed, also that the same thing happened last year!!

They also said they have to wear more layers at work, than they do on their journey to work!
Makes it a bit unpleasant shoping there, never mind working there.

nottinghillbilly

10-12-2013 05:28 PM

I was in there today, and it is indeed freezing, and I really admire the stoicism of the staff.
It doesn't make sense that its down to HR to fix the boiler-though it may be an HR issue regarding giving out extra uniform, body warmers mittens etc.
I certainly hope that the staff receive a decent bonus and time in lieu or extra breaks for putting up with it-as my understanding is that if its below a certain temperature they are within their legal rights to refuse to work.
Where I work they have a staff member dedicated to taking temperature readings in every dept 3 times a day, however having said that we were all baking hot today but were told that the reading was within accepted parameters...wish I could have bottled some of our heat and given it to Sainsburys!

derbybill

10-12-2013 08:43 PM

It should be a minimum of 16C there unless the staff are involved in lots of physical activity.
If you look at the back of your receipt from Sainsbury's, it says:

Thank you for your visit. Please let us know how we did at tellsainsburys.co.uk

Well go on then: tell 'em!

derbybill

13-12-2013 11:15 AM

This is part of the reply I received from Sainsbury's Customer Services today (Friday 13th Dec):

"In light of your feedback, I have called the Forest Hill store and spoken with John Parry, Fresh Foods Manager. John acknowledged that the store’s internal heating system was faulty and passed on his apologies for any inconvenience caused. He did confirm that the management team had taken measures to have a temporary heating system put in place until the new year when a new boiler will be installed. The temporary heating system should be in place within 4 working days."

PollyEster63

13-12-2013 02:35 PM

I spoke to a different member of staff yesterday, and they said the geating was due to be repaired today. Went in there at lunch time snd was still fffffffreezing.

InTheForest

20-12-2013 10:45 AM

Please tell me it's fixed now!

derbybill

20-12-2013 08:58 PM

It was pretty cold again tonight (Friday), so I will have another moan to Customer Services.

nottinghillbilly

20-12-2013 10:50 PM

It certainly hasn't felt fixed over past couple of days.
I think the stoicism of the staff really needs applauding.
ESPECIALLY as they all seem to be keeping a cheerful demeanour Thumbsup

Applespider

21-12-2013 08:05 AM

I was in there on Friday afternoon and didn't notice it feeling particularly cold. But then, I was wearing a jacket and wasn't in for long.

PollyEster63

30-12-2013 09:41 PM

I went in there today and chatted with a member of staff who said the heating had still not been fixed. They joked that they wouldn't have heat until the summer!

Poppet2

31-12-2013 05:31 PM

But the heat is pouring out and working perfectly well if you enter via the rear entrance into the car park.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields