SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Mobility help for the disabled and elderly
SonicAttack

21-12-2013 07:59 AM

I'm disabled with limited mobility. I can walk short distances, with the aid of a crutch, but not too far. Now my problem is that I do need to get out and about. A recent example, was I needed to get some cash, do a little shopping, charge my key for my electricity meter and post a parcel. To do all of this I'd have to had gone to 3 different locations, which while not far apart I'm incapable walking to each location.

Now, since I don't have a car other personal transport, my only choices left were public transport or cabs. Cabs are expensive and in current condition even with walking aids I can't walk as far the bus stop in either direction, let alone carrying a bag or two of shopping.

It occurred to me that there might be a small local charity that would help people in my situation, despite asking around social services, searching the internet and asking my support team there doesn't seem such a charity anywhere near by.

I know that there others who are in a similar position to me, whether disabled or elderly. So I have two questions:-

1) Does anyone know of such a charity?
2) If there isn't one, are there any people out there with cars, who would be willing to set up such a charity to help those of us who could use such a service?

Jim

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cellar Door

21-12-2013 12:21 PM

Hi Jim,

What a well written message.

My Dad is in the same situation as you. I know how difficult simple tasks, to me, can represent challenges to many others.

I cannot answer either of your two questions.

But I can offer this...

I am a member of the car club called Zipcar.

I can hire numerous cars and vans from as little as £5 or £6 an hour (including fuel and insurance). Many of them are lurking around the hill.

I also have plenty of time on my hands.

We could hook up and start our own social enterprise!

We would have to look at the legal side and I have access to good local legal eagles.

Maybe we could meet and explore?

Kind Regards,

Rob

P.S. I just realised that I have actually answered your question 2. Hence, this P.S./edit.

This post was last modified: 21-12-2013 12:26 PM by Cellar Door.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields