SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Jogging in the area
Aaron

19-06-2008 11:24 AM

Was just wondering how many of you go for runs around Forest Hill and if so, if you could reccomend anywhere.

I live in the new printworks development off of Dartmouth Road. Was thinking of running up Lordship Lane and into Goose Green where there are more open spaces...

Any suggestions? Do people jog around the Hornimans?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

19-06-2008 11:29 AM

Walk myself but would recommend Sydenham Hill Woods rather than Lordship Lane to East Dulwich.
From Printworks turn left at Datmouth Rd , left at Kirkdale then right at Wells Park Road. Cut through Wells Park , then back on WP Rd to Sydenham Hill , go on road behind Woodhouse and you will come to entrance to woods. You can leave Woods opposite Grove Tavern then come back along Lordship Lane.
Only a suggestion.

Ghis

19-06-2008 11:50 AM

What about joining those guys:

http://www.dulwichrunners.org.uk/

Ghis

19-06-2008 11:59 AM

Oh and I agree about the Sydenham Hill Woods suggestion.

Aaron

19-06-2008 12:04 PM

I have been dog walking in Sydenham Hill Woods, I entered where the Harvester is on Lordship Lane, so will definately take up that suggestion I think!

The woods are fairly quiet arent they - almost scarily so!

fatrascal

19-06-2008 12:31 PM

What about heading over towards Crystal Palace Park shouldn't take too long, once in there a good lap of the park is about 5K.

PVP

19-06-2008 03:11 PM

Dulwich Woods - Good suggestion! It has the added benefit of some punishing hills. For something a bit less strenuous, I just go and do some circuits of Mayow Park.

Perrin

19-06-2008 06:16 PM

Dulwich woods is beautiful! I often, when up to it try and run to Brockley, Hilly Fields, quite a way, but well worth it!

I have also been known to run to Soho in the Spring!

vipes

20-06-2008 08:20 AM

In my fitter days I'd attempt the 3 parks run - 1/2 lap of Horniman and down to 1/2 lap of Dulwich Park (which is exactly 1 mile around the sand track) and cross the village to do 1 lap of Belair Park and back up to do the uncompleted halves of the first two. Killer.

CAW

20-06-2008 10:59 AM

You run to soho Perrin?...

Thats quite a distance, have you thought about running the marathon?

Applespider

26-06-2008 09:17 AM

I've got a couple of routes that I like to take - but need to expand the range since I'm aiming to do a half-marathon in October.

I really enjoy running down to Dulwich Park and round the loop there. There are lots of runners, cyclists and roller-bladers so it always feels pretty safe and there are so many trees that it can be shaded - and there's an option to 'trail' run around the perimeter or take the road options. It's just over a mile around the road route and most people seem to do a few laps. It does have the benefit of being relatively flat although there are a few gradients to help with picking up the pace.

Peckham Rye is also a good place to run around/through. I've got one 10k route that takes me along Wood Vale, down round Peckham Rye, back up Barry Road, along Lordship Lane, down Court Lane and then a couple of times round Dulwich Park.

I'd like to run in the woods (despite the initial hill up to them from Harvester) but not entirely sure how safe I'd feel since they can seem quite empty at times.

Aaron

26-06-2008 09:26 AM

Thanks for that Applespider!

I agree about the woods, think I would only go jogging there of an evening if I had a jogging partner (and to be kind most of my friends arent exactly the jogging/sporty type!)

I was thinking about Peckham Rye but with me living just off Dartmouth Road in Forest Hill it's a bit of a mission to get to

I have joined Fusion Gyms in Dulwich - so for the moment my jogging is being done on a treadmill in a huge hall :D

Applespider

26-06-2008 09:38 AM

eesh... hate running on a treadmill because the only thing that changes is the time... so you see every second. I can only manage about 20 minutes on a treadmill but can happily do an hour outdoors.

I'm not very fast - around 9 min/mile but if you want to try running through the woods, I'd be up for giving it a go with you sometime. Would be more pleasant in the summer than being out in the sun.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields