SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Barclays Bank refurb
rbmartin

25-11-2013 11:31 PM

I noticed as part of the refurb to the bank that an additional ATM is being installed on the London Road side of the bank, adding another much needed cashpoint to FH.

However, I don't know much about what is happening inside, although it looks like additional cashier points are being installed.

I'd like to see the return of staff on the other side of the bank, instead of having to use a phone to contact a call centre for banking problems the cashiers can't deal with.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

26-11-2013 08:23 AM

The first ATM will be removed so that the only one at Barclays is on the London Road side. Additional cash points are available at Tesco, Sainsbury's, Coop, two at Santander, two at the station, and I've probably missed others. So I don't think there is a shortage (unlike Honor Oak before the arrival of Sainsbury's).

Details of the changes are in the planning application http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-a...CAPR_69867

planning Application wrote:
The branch’s ATM, looking out onto Dartmouth Road, is currently inaccessible to wheelchair users, while the ATM queue, in combination with a relatively narrow pavement and bus shelter, can lead to congestion on the pavement.

The bank’s investment in the refurbishment offers an opportunity to potentially rectify this, while also addressing the operational efficiency of the branch, moving the ATM into a secure area for easier servicing. The London Road elevation faces onto a wider, less cluttered pavement, and relocating and dropping the ATM to make it accessible can be achieved by relocating it to beneath the rightmost window.

BT

26-11-2013 08:24 AM

Nice to see that Barclays have stuck with their promise to keep this branch open. I was part of the campaign some years ago to keep it open as it was the only Bank available in the area. The fact that they are improving it and adding more cashier points proves that it was a good move to keep it open.

Although I moved from Forest Hill eight years ago and now live in Norwich my Account is still at the Forest Hill Branch. It seems that its the norm now that they don't move your account to your local branch even though you live elsewhere. I suppose its simpler with Online banking to leave things where they are when you move. We were given a warm welcome at our local branch here in Norwich when we went in to notify our change of address and were personally introduced to the manager and staff, and get excellent personal service when we go into the branch.

robin orton

26-11-2013 08:28 AM

The other problem with having the ATM on the Dartmouth Road side was that when the sun was low early in the morning it shone directly onto the screen and made it impossible to read.

ryananglem

26-11-2013 09:30 AM

I hope they can do a little more to aid customer service with the new layout. I tried to open an account in there a couple of years ago, but although there were three people behind the counter, no one was able to do it - and the person who could do it would not be in for a couple of days. I caught a bus to East Dulwich and opened an account at HSBC.

Well done to them for the relocation of the ATM and consideration of the pavement though.

rbmartin

26-11-2013 12:30 PM

Fair enough about the removal of the existing ATM on Dartmouth Road, although it'll still leave that side of London Road with only one ATM, with four on the other side of the busy South Circular, two at the station and the Co-Operative.

However, it's a positive that Barclays are investing in our local branch and not leaving it to fester which has been the case since it was saved.

This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 12:31 PM by rbmartin.

rbmartin

04-12-2013 09:00 PM

Noticed there's another ATM inside the bank now, to compensate for the lack of one on Dartmouth Road, along with a paying in machine.

Mr_Numbers

29-01-2014 07:09 AM

Uh-oh.

Quote:
"Barclays plans to close a quarter of its branches in the UK"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25939803

Hopefully they won't trash the money they've spent on refurbing the FH branch - but it's not unheard of for large corporates to do one thing with their left hand while the other hand hasn't got a clue what's going on and does something completely different.

One to watch.

rbmartin

31-01-2014 06:19 PM

The FH branch is a relatively cost-effective branch to run, unlike nearby branches in Catford and East Dulwich as they don't have personal bankers, mortgage advisers etc with only cashiers there on a daily basis.

The Sydenham branch appears to also operates a very basic banking service.

Cuts will probably come based on how many staff work in the branch, how close one branch is to another etc which would put one of Peckham's two branches in Rye Lane at risk and Dulwich Village which also provides a basic banking service and doesn't even have an ATM.

Mr_Numbers

31-01-2014 06:29 PM

Hmm. Not convinced, I'm afraid. No personal bankers or mortgage advisers means no revenue in the branch P&L. If it's just a cash-handling branch, then that's pure overhead to them.

rbmartin

31-01-2014 10:15 PM

Since the last campaign to save Barclays, internet banking has increased it's share which has led to reduce branches.

The fact FH has had a recent refurb in December, plus from when I've visited, is still a busy branch 'should' be enough to save it and I wouldn't be surprised if it is on the list that yet another local campaign would be set up to save the branch.

If Barclays leaves, it'd be detrimental to the town centre as a whole.

Sydenham on the other hand if it closed would still have Penge, Forest Hill and Upper Norwood/Crystal Palace within reasonable travelling distance.

Mr_Numbers

31-01-2014 10:53 PM

I hope you're right - even though Barclays isn't my bank, I hope you're right.

annsquire66

31-01-2014 11:08 PM

Too late for Penge, it's already closed Sad

P1971

31-01-2014 11:12 PM

We can't loose FH Barclays. Lucy and Mike are so lovely, and are always interested in whats going on locally. When others put money in my account I always get told Lucy asked how you are! That's community spirit.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Armed Robbery in Barclays Bank Mr Robin Banks 16 16,597 27-07-2015 09:11 PM
Last Post: michael
  Barclays Bank Forest Hill Sherwood 18 17,814 28-01-2015 01:47 PM
Last Post: billham
  The people shouting outside Barclays Bank Mr Pickles 2 5,167 14-01-2013 01:09 PM
Last Post: Perryman