SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
New Street Lights
SpringCat

19-11-2013 12:58 PM

New Street Lights have been now connected and it is nice to see roads well lit in the evenings.
However, Skanska has not taken away the old ones and have left road blocks all over.
Does anybody know when they are going to clear up and resurface the pavements left in such a state?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kingkong

19-11-2013 02:55 PM

They have different teams to install the new lamp posts, connect the power up, remove the old ones, and then make good the pavement. It will take a bit of time but your old lights should be removed fairly soon.

On our street the new lights have been installed on both sides of the street, but are only connected on one side. The old lights have been removed on one side but not on the other.......

barriedalenick

19-11-2013 03:23 PM

They left my Road (Cranston) in a mess for quite a while. There may have been reasonable operation requirements for them to do so but the barriers and holes in pavements were a bit of a mare for a while..

alimc

20-11-2013 05:14 PM

I'm really upset about how long it is taking to make good on our pathways as I have to walk out onto the road with our buggy everyday which is obviously dangerous. Honestly don't understand why it has to take so long.

mrwandle

21-11-2013 01:34 PM

Maybe the Skanska workers also live opposite one of their new lights and don't get any sleep either, hence they have a struggle doing a full days work and aren't completing the job?

From product choice to installation it's one of the worst council projects I've ever seen.

Hillman

21-11-2013 03:47 PM

Hi, a newbie here.

I've been keeping an eye on the installation of the new lights in our road for a while now.

The new column nearest our house was installed at the beginning of May 2013. Nothing then happened until October when a hole was dug in the pavement. A week ago they returned to make the hole bigger. On Tuesday electricians connected it and today the hole was partially filled in. The barriers, completely blocking the footpath have been in place since early October and are still there as we now await the arrival of the finishers - those who will hopefully re-lay the slabs rather than bodge it with cold lay asphalt as often happens. It is possible, but not guaranteed, that we might get our pavement back about 7 months after the start of the job.

On the theme of bodge, a year or so back BT carefully laid the Broadband fibre cable in ducts beneath the pavement. That duct was smashed by the lamp post excavators revealing, but probably not breaking, the cable. Now the hole has been filled there is no chance that BT can use the draw rope (left in the duct) to pull through more services.

A bodge from start to .....finish.....but not quite, it's not even finished yet.

LBL got the cheapest price to keep our taxes down - this unfortunately is what you get.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

22-11-2013 08:43 AM

Just for balance; they did a really good job in our street. Sure there was the comedy use of different teams for every possible aspect of the job and it did take a while (though nothing like as long as reports here). But...they did a really good job of the finish. There there was paving involved the slabs were laid flat and cut neatly around the post, so much so that the council had to come and relay some of the other paving as it looked so bad in comparison. And their laying of tarmac where needed was really well done - again, far better than the bodge jobs laid by the council's own 'man and shovel'.

rshdunlop

22-11-2013 08:53 AM

Lighting on Mayow Road is very poor in places for pedestrians. My son has stopped walking along the park after dark (which is on his way home from school at this time of year) because there are no lights on the park side at all. On the opposite side of the road some of the lights are obscured by trees leaving long stretches very dark indeed. It's making him quite nervous. Am contacting Skanska and Lewisham today.

ryananglem

22-11-2013 09:36 AM

I must say that I think they did a good job around where I am as well. I can see more stars in the sky at night that ever before too - so the promises of less light pollution seem to have been realised

Sherwood

22-11-2013 11:30 AM

Lights obscured by trees is a problem in my road as well.

Pippi

22-11-2013 01:21 PM

Newbie here (to both forum and area).....Am I alone in finding the new lights too high up off the ground and the quality of the lighting too diffuse / weak / not very effective?

Walking up towards Blythe Hill Fields area in the evenings via one of the Hills (Codrington/Duncombe/Lowther) often feels pretty perilous, expecially given the diabolical state of the actual pavements!

For such a nice area, featuring some pretty grand and impressive houses, it just seems weird to me how terrible and neglected the pavements are around there.....

alimc

22-11-2013 10:45 PM

Couldn't agree more re the pavements. Lewisham council just need to up their game on that front really.

Perryman

23-11-2013 01:58 PM

The new Perry Vale lamp posts seems to have the old yellow sodium bulbs installed rather than the floodlight white mercury bulbs. (Good!)
They are exactly the same height as well.

So I conclude that the main aim of this exercise in Lewisham was to push all the posts further back, and often into the tree canopies in the residential areas.

I'm sure there are good arguments for and against this but I've not heard them.

derbybill

23-11-2013 03:07 PM

To Pippi
Welcome to the Forum and the area!
I could be smug and say that all those living in the "grand and impressive houses" don't make much use of the pavements as they use their cars all the time.

Why not take some photos of those "diabolical" pavements and send them to "Love Lewisham" (when the Council's website is working again after the weekend, as it is closed for maintenance at present). Have you asked your local councillors to come and take a walk with you? Duncombe and Lowther Hills have some steep bits, along with big old trees whose roots tend to make a mess of pavements. But if you're feeling really fit, try Brockley Park!

You will find that repairs get done quite fast once the problems have been registered been registered: give it a try.

Pippi

25-11-2013 02:24 PM

Lols re; the four-wheeled classes of Lowther Hill etc.....to be fair, I'm beginning to regret failing my driving test so many times, since moving here! But all the climbing is healthier, I tell myself ; )

I think I will get on to the council about the pavements, cos if a relatively fit and young(ish) person like me finds them hazardous what on earth can it be like for elderly and less physically able residents?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Report street lights not working samuelsen 0 2,728 02-01-2018 05:47 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Street lights not working in parts of SE23 and se26 samuelsen 7 7,154 27-09-2016 10:21 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Street Lights SpringCat 3 4,791 29-10-2010 06:57 PM
Last Post: Hawkesrah