SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
roz

02-10-2008 07:52 PM

Dear all, would really appreciate some assistance with this.

I (like no doubt a lot of you) was very late into work on Wednesday following the cancellation of all train services from around 8.30am onwards. An announcement at around 8.50am advised that there were no services until 9.30am. Like many others I sought an alternative route and was eventually and thankfully given a lift into London by a friend. I eventually got to my north London office at around 11am. Unfortunately this meant I had to cancel a very important meeting and it has not gone down too well with the bosses to say the least.

My question is that given the ensuing fuss made by other colleagues I have been asked to provide ' evidence' of what happened to cause my late arrival .They seem to think that I should be able to provide a detailed techincal explanation for the problems of Southern Rail and probably also assume personal responsibility for resolving them.

I have searched the internet but cannot locate anything. Therefore short of asking you all to swear affadavits at my expense, if anyone has any suggestions as to where I can find the 'supporting evidence' for the rail problem it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
admin
Administrator

02-10-2008 08:02 PM

A letter to the train company should elicit an apology confirming the problems that morning and the reason for them. It will probably be a stock reply to all letters regarding the morning in question but at least you'll have something.

Jon Lloyd

02-10-2008 09:58 PM

Southern should answer this yes. I can sympathise - I've been reporting to a new boss who sits directly behind me for the past month and have been late twice now because of the trains. Luckily he's quite understanding but it makes me feel lazy/inept and my confidence in going for the train each morning is constantly put to the test, so each morning becomes stressful with anticipation. The world's currently stressful enough as it is without disruptions to our basic need for efficient services to and from work.
I'd just like to point that out, seeing as it's something the train companies won't give two hoots about.

ambient
No longer registered

02-10-2008 11:29 PM

Roz,

Can't quite help with your current problem though I sympathise entirely. For any future issues - on the day itself - you might find this page on the National Rail website useful:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_di...eared.html

As an aside, South Eastern trains have recently started this:
http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/mai...age_id=429

Given that Southern and South Eastern are both owned by Govia, it's a pity that Southern don't seem to have an equivalent on their site.

BarCar

03-10-2008 08:15 AM

The London Assembly Transport Committee have announced a public consultation on overcrowding on overground rail services.

See http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_rele...seid=18837 and http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/scruti...owding.jsp for more details.

They say:

Quote:
The Committee is keen to hear from people who use overground rail to commute. Please send us your experiences - particularly around being unable to board full trains at certain London stations, and how much space is available on the trains you travel on.

Please send your overcrowding experiences to overcrowding@london.gov.uk or write to them at:

Quote:
London Assembly Transport Committee
PP10 / 6th Floor
City Hall
The Queen?s Walk
London SE1 2AA

BarCar

03-10-2008 08:26 AM

The SouthEastern link from ambient's post indicates signal problems at New Cross Gate on Wednesday morning - that would have affected Southern services too - maybe that would keep your employer satisfied.

As an aside, it sounds like they are really understanding people to work for.

davidl

03-10-2008 09:32 AM

If the above aren't enough, try an email to comments@southernrailway.com - I know some people have had problems getting info this way, but generally it's worked for me.

Your employer does seem particularly ignorant - but one thing which has worked for me (albeit only travelling as far as the City) is to jump on a bus outside the station. I still got to work late, but only about 45 mins or so after I would have done on the train.

PVP

03-10-2008 09:41 AM

I think the announcements were not helping. I waited at the station until about 20 past 9 and a train turned up a couple of minutes late and everything was fine. I think the easiest thing to do in such an instance is to jump on a bus to Catford and get the train from there.

voyager3

03-10-2008 09:47 AM

Or P4 or 122 to Lewisham and then train to LB or DLR.

Elizabeth25

03-10-2008 09:53 AM

There was a notice on the Southern web site that day detailing the problems. I am not sure if it is still up. But an email to Southern may work.

I decided to go home that morning (I have a VPN'd laptop and can work from home) and leave later. I ended up getting to my office in the City at 11:45 when the trains started running again.

I sorry you don't have empoyers who trust their staff enough to belive them when the trains let us down, Roz. Good Luck.

gingernuts

03-10-2008 11:29 AM

I was told it was due to a broken down train at Anerley, after asking the ticket gate man (couldnt hear the ridiculously quiet announcement on the platform). But within a few minutes the 0922 arrived. I admit that I assumed this was a train infront of the Anerley disaster!

I have no idea if the problem persisted.

Haylands

03-10-2008 01:56 PM

Roz are you an emergency child brain surgeon? My goodness I feel for you, your work colleagues must have a particularly high opinion of themselves saving babies lives. I gave up on the 8.11 cattle track into Dodge and have gone back to cycling into work. Takes an hour either way and most reassuringly, always takes an hour. Good luck with your evidence!
http://www.se23.com/forum/images/smilies/cursing.gif

Dotcom

03-10-2008 04:08 PM

Roz, or jump on a bus down to Catford (not Catford Bridge, the other one) which goes up to Blackfriars where you can get trains up through to King's Cross St Pancras (dont' know the next stops but a North London direction anyway). Might be a solution.

acer

03-10-2008 04:38 PM

the same train Dotcom mentions goes through Crofton Park station as well, which is a 10 min (ish) walk from Honor Oak Park station and as well as going into blackfriars - it also stops at Elephant & Castle so you can get on the Northern or Bakerloo line there.

bigjulie

03-10-2008 05:38 PM

I checked the National Rail Enquiries website on wednesday morning and it referred to a broken down train at Sydenham that was due to be cleared by 10.30
Of course there is no history of the delay available now, but maybe there should be for demanding employers!

Sherwood

04-10-2008 10:02 PM

Perhaps they could stop some of the express trains passing through to let local passengers get on when this happens.

se23northener

06-10-2008 02:46 PM

The 09.22 is one of the half-hourly trains that comes from Victoria via Crystal Palace, so it got through because it only joined our line at Sydenham, after the broken-down train at Anerley. It's useful to live in a place like Forest Hill where train lines converge! If one line further back up the tracks is down, another may still be working!

PVP

07-10-2008 08:52 AM

Express trains - unfortuantely the points on the track do not allow this on much of the network.

Alas, poor middle platform, how we need you now...

brian

07-10-2008 10:35 AM

Yes unfortunately if a train breaks down in Sydenham on slow line nothing can be done to stop other trains.
I to remember the good old middle platform. How short sighted it was to close it , they could have stopped Capitol Connect Trains there.

Nosey Gal

07-10-2008 04:42 PM

I saw a poster at London bridge today advertising a 'meet the managers' session on thursday on the main concurse. I shall be sure to drop in - the trains between 8.11 and 8.35 have not managed to run on time for the last week and a half and frankly i'm fed up and chomping at the bit to release my frustrations!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,049 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,851 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,667 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 8,922 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,173 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,383 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,714 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham