SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Traffic Lights outside Co-Op, Forest Hill
Mr_Numbers

24-10-2013 09:20 AM

[Split from "Traffic lights Dartmouth Road/London Road" -admin]
___

I believe Spielberg has already bought the rights and Tom Hanks and George Clooney are trying to out-audition each other to play you, Deano.

But for the sequel, do you think you'd be able to exert the same sort of magic on the south circ? 6.45 this morning (when sensible people should still be sleeping or at least be in the kitchen eating toast) and the traffic was backed up from the lights opposite the Coop to the Railway Telegraph. Once we made it to the station London Road seemed fine.

I noticed the other day that those lights at the Coop have a strange sequence: 25 seconds red, 15 seconds green, 25 seconds red, 80 seconds green, 25 seconds red, 15 seconds green..... (so you can work out how long I was stuck in traffic watching traffic lights!)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

24-10-2013 09:23 AM

Those lights at the Co-op are pedestrian controlled, aren't they? Hence the erratic pattern.

Mr_Numbers

24-10-2013 09:29 AM

You could be right. I never really believed that those buttons did anything except give pedestrians a spurious sense of control, but there might be something in that. Still seems odd that the traffic would be that backed up that early in the morning.

rshdunlop

24-10-2013 10:34 AM

Remember that set of lights is purely a pedestrian crossing, it is not controlling the traffic out of any other roads, so of course it is purely operated by pressing the button.

On more complex junctions where the green man is programmed to come at a certain point in the sequence it is often automatic at peak times, then switched to manual at off peak times.

I love the idea of TfL manufacturing, transporting and installing pedestrian controls purely as an elaborate hoax. Smile

Meanwhile, this still doesn't explain why the traffic was tailed back so far this morning.

Mr_Numbers

24-10-2013 10:48 AM

Maybe it was a parade trying to cross the road - one clown at a time.

I was forgetting that it's pedestrian-controlled because a side-effect of that is that it does, in fact, help traffic turning right out of Perry Vale onto the eastbound A205.

However, you're right of course because that traffic has no lights controlling it. They just have to wait for a pedestrian to push the button then obey the 'No left turn' sign so that they don't express their gratitude to those button-pushing pedestrians by running over them.

rshdunlop

24-10-2013 11:30 AM

I think the odd left-hand turn would be permissible if it took out a clown. I don't like clowns.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

24-10-2013 01:32 PM
rshdunlop

24-10-2013 01:35 PM

Which is exactly what I said...

Pedestrian only crossing - yes, the button works

Road junctions - automatic during the day, button works at night.

Fandango

25-10-2013 10:39 AM

There is definitely some miss-timings occurring near the Co-Op.

This morning there was yet another queue up to the crossing extending back to the Brockley Rise junction.

Conversely the traffic flowing to the other side of the lights from Waldram Place/Perry Vale into south circular was very clear (unusually so).

It seems the crossing button is triggering the lights too fast. Every time it's pushed it swiftly stops traffic. Rather than adhering to 'normal' intervals.

Perhaps the lights have been adjusted to free traffic on Perry Vale, and maybe they've been adjusted too far?

Sherwood

25-10-2013 11:04 AM

Sometimes the intention is to slow down traffic.

Mr_Numbers

25-10-2013 11:20 AM

If that's their intention, then they score top marks, gold star and employee of the month - 'cause it's working! Grr!

rshdunlop

25-10-2013 11:49 AM

If it seems to be an ongoing issue, perhaps someone should take a leaf out of Deano the Magnificent's book and email TfL, detailing exactly what the current timings are and how it is affecting the traffic.

Mr_Numbers

25-10-2013 01:08 PM

I think I'm building up to that! The timings seemed odd at first (sitting in the traffic way back in the distance) but then I got the impression from this discussion that that junction was entirely controlled by pedestrians.

However, having sat in the Coop car park this morning, it appears that the lights can turn red without a pedestrian in sight - presumably to allow vehicles out of Perry Vale, but then we're back to the notion that the timings seem odd.

Okay, notebook, pencil, stopwatch and cunning disguise all prepared. Will hide behind the recycled clothes bins at the Coop and monitor the timings some day soon.

Mr_Numbers

29-10-2013 06:41 AM

I'm not usually out and about quite this early (usually more like 7.10am) so I was surprised at how bad the traffic was at 6.10am, when things should have been flowing smoothly. So I sat in the Co-op car park and counted. Here's my submission to TfL's website...

The timing of the traffic lights at the junction of the A205 South Circular and Perry Vale SE23 (opposite the Co-op store) seems completely wrong and is backing up traffic during the morning rush hour. This set of lights is a pedestrian crossing though it also allows traffic to exit Perry Vale and turn right onto the A205. However, I have noticed in recent weeks that the lights are at red for longer than they are at green, which backs up the traffic excessively and unnecessarily. The situation is so bad that I've now just watched and timed the lights - 06.15am 29/10/13. Here are the approximate timings:
Green 18 seconds
Red 25 seconds
Green 10
Red 25
Green 13
Red 25
Green 15
Red 25
Green 10

This pattern seems excessively oriented towards red, at a time when the A205 traffic is building up. Please note: AT NO POINT IN THIS CYCLE DID ANY PEDESTRIAN APPEAR OR PUSH THE CROSSING BUTTON.
Please re-examine the settings for these lights. I have been told on SE23.com that the traffic backs up to Brockley Rise and beyond.
Very many thanks.

A reply within 10 working days, the website tells me.

hillwalker

29-10-2013 09:50 AM

As someone who uses these lights on a daily basis as a pedestrian I can confirm that something has definately happened to them in the last few weeks as they are now very pedestrian friendly. There used to be a good minute wait upon pressing the button, at the moment they are stopping traffic without any one pressing the button. Great for my morning walk to the station, not so good when I'm driving past. I'm guessing this can be easily fixed if TFL pay attention to your email.

Mr_Numbers

29-10-2013 12:10 PM

Thanks, Hillwalker. Always reassuring to know it's not just my imagination!

Cheeky

29-10-2013 01:47 PM

Not just your imagination, I've noticed it a couple of times, most recently Sunday midday when it was backlogged round to Topps Tiles, hopefully your mail will get it sorted, good work.

Mr_Numbers

05-11-2013 04:29 PM

Exactly one week after emailing TfL, I received this reply.....

Quote:
Thank you for your enquiry regarding the phasing at the traffic signal at the junction of Waldram Crescent, Waldram Park Road and Perry Vale. I was sorry to learn of the delays you experienced at this junction.

In managing London’s traffic signals, we seek to safely balance the needs of motorists, pedestrians and cyclists within a heavily used network with competing demands.

And you probably start thinking, Oh, yeah. I know where this is going. But then!

Quote:
An engineer has investigated your enquiry and we can confirm that there was a fault with the push button detection unit. This fault caused the pedestrian stage to be demanded regardless of a pedestrian pushing the button. This fault was reported and has been resolved.

Furthermore a request has been made to increase the minimum green time to traffic at this junction, and engineers will continue to monitor the signals once this change has been made to ensure the correct balance is in operation at the signals.

Once again thank you for taking the time to highlight you concerns to us and we hope you find these changes help alleviate the problems you experienced. If I can be of further assistance please respond to this email, if you prefer to talk to someone please call xxxx xxx xxxx.

Yours sincerely

Stuart Towne

Customer Service Adviser
Transport for London Customer Services

Result! Thumbsup Thanks to Deano for the inspiration to actually try to do something! I have noticed a difference in these lights over the last few days so it's nice to know it's not just my imagination.

(Hope you don't object to be blotting out his phone number. Seems unfair to post it on a public forum though I know no one who is actually active on se23.com would take unfair advantage.)

michael

05-11-2013 04:44 PM

Well done Mr_Numbers (and well done TfL).

Knowing how you like numbers I think you should be renamed 'Deano II' in the film of your life - 'the continuing saga Forest Hill's own answer to Falling Down'.

Perryman

05-11-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:
Furthermore a request has been made to increase the minimum green time to traffic at this junction

Oh dear. That presumably means they intend to increase the maximum red time wait for local pedestrians in favour of the through traffic.
This is not a SE23 victory. At all.

Although to be fair, they have disabled one of the pedestrian red man lights, to make up for it.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill rd, traffic calming measures - Southwark council samuelsen 0 2,529 19-09-2019 09:31 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Failed TW temp traffic lights - Honor Oak Road samuelsen 5 6,820 17-01-2018 06:47 PM
Last Post: Hillman
  Are the new traffic lights at Sydenham Hill causing more problems? hertburs 1 3,636 28-05-2016 06:33 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  Rush hour traffic accident in Forest Hill Road, Honor Oak admin 1 5,454 29-04-2016 06:58 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  How much did those new traffic lights cost? Mr_Numbers 21 20,753 08-03-2016 09:29 AM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Traffic lights at Cranston Rd/South Circular derbybill 6 8,554 18-03-2015 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Traffic made worse at junction of Forest Hill Road, Canonbie Road and Wood Vale? Triangle 7 11,070 14-01-2014 10:28 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Forest Hill traffic marianne 9 9,677 11-12-2013 05:45 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Forest Hill Christmas lights. nottinghillbilly 5 8,319 09-12-2013 07:57 PM
Last Post: Deano
  Traffic lights Dartmouth Road/London Road robin orton 111 104,927 22-11-2013 06:14 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Traffic Camera in Forest Hill michael 0 3,825 17-01-2013 09:51 AM
Last Post: michael
  Traffic Lights Honor Oak Road/London Road michael 7 9,398 01-07-2008 05:17 PM
Last Post: vipes