SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Hop high street crossings
daveherne

02-11-2013 08:16 PM

Is it just me that thinks the crossings on the high street need refreshing and possibly a new one added near sainsburys. Several times when crossing the road at the crossing near the station CSS have whizzed by and not stopped. The other crossing near the news agents is barely visible.

Surely it is not just me that ha noticed how poorly looked after the high street is in this regard?

Dave

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sammy

02-11-2013 08:44 PM

Hello, if you contact Lewisham council roads department they will assess the markings. I had an issues with a man over on the road outside my house, it was broken and each time a bus went over it for some reason it caused the house to shake. Lewisham council sorted it within a week so worth emailing or calling them.

daveherne

03-11-2013 01:41 PM

cheers,

I think I will contact them!

dave.

lacb

04-11-2013 12:04 PM

I agree daveherne, some traffic calming measures wouldn't go amiss.

In particular, the stretch going up the hill over the bridge is treated by some as a dual carriageway, complete with overtaking, both sides, even though no visibility of pedestrians on zebra crossing at the time... I see this a few times a week. One day there will be a nasty accident.

daveherne

07-11-2013 10:46 PM

ok I have written to lewisham and asked that the crossing outside of the station be investigated. on the way home this evening I started to cross over towards sainsburys only to have a van fly down the hill past the station at top speed and absolutely make no effort to stop with me on the crossing and another family starting to cross. I actually heard the van starting to slow down but then when the driver realised we were just about out of the way they sped up again.

really frustrating. somebody is going to be hurt. I think perhaps a push button system with a red light is required.

if anybody else has had an incident I think now is a good time to complain.

BarCar

07-11-2013 10:57 PM

I'm not sure what the 4 lane dual carriageway over the railway really gains anybody.

Is there a case for traffic being single carriageway on the southernmost bridge leaving the northernmost bridge for pedestrians to spill out of the station (and cyclists). Can't really see that this would make congestion any worse since the road immediately either side is single carriageway.

lacb

08-11-2013 09:12 AM

Interesting suggestion BarCar. I have been having similar thoughts re the merit of the deemed dual carriageway there. My current thinking was to have bus lanes.

Currently the north side bridge gets used for drop-off and pick-up for the station - another dangerous situation especially when on the zig-zags. It would be a game-changer to have all that space around the station, could be made to look great but I think some provision for road access to the station will be required.

Nick M

08-11-2013 11:18 AM

It's an accident of history, as it were, that the bridge is four lanes. I remember as a nipper them widening the bridge - originally it was just the two lanes on the station side of that old metal barrier, but obviously it couldnt take the increasing amount and weight of traffic so they built on the other side. I assume it's a weight/structural thing that it is so wide, not because anyone envisaged four lanes of traffic going over it at that point.

I have a photo of the old bridge which my Dad took I think which I'll post, out of interest, if I can find it!

BarCar

08-11-2013 11:29 AM

If it's a weight thing then maybe there's still a case for narrowing the road surface on both sides to calm traffic a little?

Nick M

08-11-2013 11:32 AM

There used to be an underpass of course where that crossing now is towards Sainsburys, but there were muggings and they filled it in. 10 to 15 years ago I think.

shzl400

08-11-2013 07:55 PM

But bizarrely, the lights were left on and were visible through the grilles in the pavement long after the entrances were paved over. Really spooky!

daveherne

08-11-2013 09:18 PM

Well I am hoping we can get something to happen. lights. narrowing of roads. remove centre island to increase visibility. camera. I don't care what really. something though.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Your help needed for a brighter High Street michael 4 6,993 18-05-2015 07:23 AM
Last Post: michael
  What has happened to FH high street? Tenbybelle 5 7,602 23-09-2013 08:37 AM
Last Post: edpaff
  any high street gossip? daveherne 13 13,234 07-06-2013 04:09 PM
Last Post: lacb
  High Street Revival Money for Forest Hill jgdoherty 4 6,403 25-07-2012 11:23 AM
Last Post: jgdoherty