SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Supporting Local Shops
robbie t

07-11-2013 10:55 AM

lacb - yes thats the one - brilliant shop. Price - not the cheapest. Do I care, not particularly, at the risk of sounding like a bit of a snob, which Im most definately not, I dont mind paying a little more to go to a shop which sells a wonderful selection of fresh and interesting products. Turkish stuff, Polish stuff, fresh veg, fruit great selection, bread, olives and all the rest of it.

You wont really see me supporting other local shops in the area who sell only very basic bits and bobs just because its a little cheaper. I think they need to step it up a little to be honest.

This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 10:59 AM by robbie t.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
isaglanzer

07-11-2013 09:19 PM

I do agree that the Forest Hill Rd Supermarket, even though it's strictly speaking in SE22 not SE23, stands out among the smaller shops as one to support as much as possible. Great for fruit and veg, and I especially recommend the Turkish Delight - big boxes of it for not much more than a fiver, a large variety of flavours and great quality. Baklava is a very good treat from there too. The staff are very pleasant , and their range of everyday and more unusual foods is great given the size. Constantly open and very hard working too. I was charmed when I went in there last Christmas Day when we had a missing ingredients crisis. Not only were they open, welcoming and readily able to produce several rather obscure items that we needed, but they were handing out carefully wrapped boxes of Turkish Delight as Christmas presents to their customers. Lovely.

This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 09:19 PM by isaglanzer.

lillam

13-03-2014 11:34 PM

BUMP
From the conversations I've had most of our long-standing local shops are really hurting at the moment... please think twice if you really need to buy whatever it is at Sainsburys

robbie t

14-03-2014 09:46 AM

Can i ask why?

Ruddiger

14-03-2014 10:39 AM

As I've said before, I would like to see local mini-marts prosper but I think they need to diversify and offer something different to do so. I can't say I've seen much evidence of any of them trying that, which is disappointing. I don't think imploring people not to use Sainsbury's will be a very effective strategy.

I've thrown a few ideas out previously but here's another - I'd love a stockist in HOP of old fashioned sweets in jars. I know there is Sugar Mountain but I don't get to Dartmouth Road very often. I'm sure other people will have ideas for how local mini-marts could offer something different...

SophieBee

14-03-2014 11:43 PM

The newsagent on Brockley Rise on the corner of Gladiator Street has a great selection of sweets in jars.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BillieJameson

30-03-2014 11:10 AM

I disagree with the comments about the florists. I've bought a good range of bouquets and plants from there. The quality has been good and the staff very helpful. I do think the range at H&P has reduced and the veg doesn't always look attractive. But I can recommend their scotch eggs done in black pudding - big and delicious but not cheap. I get a lot of cards and presents in Jumping Bean. I love their soft jellycat creatures for little ones. And we've had great food in Donde for a good price.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields