SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Lolos Patisserie closed
Jane2

02-11-2013 11:05 AM

Has anyone else noticed that Lolos Patisserie has closed? I can't see any other posts about it. It was on Perry Vale on the corner of Siddons Road opposite Hair Hectick, and served lovely bread, cakes, sandwiches, coffee. It was only refitted a few months ago. Not sure why it closed, as it always seemed to be busy when I went in. The shop is now empty Sad - not sure what the plans are for it - there has always been a bakery on the site for as long as I remember. I hope someone takes it over soon. Does anyone else know any more? It's a good location for a shop.

Find all posts by this user
Doodle

03-11-2013 08:30 AM

There are some signs up in the window, but no details on why closed. It is a surprise as they always seemed busy and it was really nicely refitted. Would be nice if someone takes over and reopens

Tomcat

03-11-2013 09:49 AM

I live on Siddons Road. Lolos closed about a month ago. The word from the traders on the parade is that it was an "overnight" closure. The owner didnt indicate to anyone why she was closing or that she was going to do so. Informal views are that it was probably an inadequate business plan - the shop was refitted twice with likely insufficient profits - and the food was a bit pricey for its positioning. Worryingly, the other word is that one of the other shop owners - I wont mention who - is considering taking it on as a chicken shop (heaven forbid) and that if this goes through there will be localised opposition. Apparently, originally it was a post office.

AMFM

04-11-2013 10:18 AM

Oh Dear God, not a chicken shop! We're on Siddons too and have to admit, never really used Lolos more than once or twice - people seemed lovely but I just wasn't that impressed with their bread - no better than bog standard supermarket fare, and more expensive at that.

It wasn't the post office - it's always been a bakery of some description as I can remember buying bacon sarnies from them the morning after we moved into our house in 2002. The post office was where the pharmacy now is (or maybe the barbers?) - definitely one of those two units used to be a post office.

This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 10:18 AM by AMFM.

Tomcat

04-11-2013 10:37 AM

I'm sure you're right AMFM about it never being a post office - the layout didnt feel like a post office to me. I also agree that the bread was a bit ordinary. The owner probably went too far toward being a cafe and too little like a bakery. When it was a bakery we bought all our bread there - when it was Lolos, hardly any. In fairness it was a difficult balance to strike. I remember people saying when it was a bakery that it was a wasted opportunity and that it should provide more in the way of cakes/coffee/patisserie. Probably didn't quite achieve the right balance as Lolos. Shame that it closed though: now we await with some trepidation what it will next become.

This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 10:38 AM by Tomcat.

blushingsnail

04-11-2013 02:51 PM

Part of the unit (the one that ends on Siddons Road) did used to be a Post Office. The corner unit was a bakers. I'm not sure of the usage before that because I think there was a connecting door between the two, as I remember hearing that the Post Office was robbed by someone entering via the bakers. The Post Office later moved around the corner onto Perry Vale, in the unit that is now the chemist.

Tomcat

04-11-2013 05:16 PM

Makes sense with the layout that the chemist was a post office. Apparently there was a fishmonger somewhere on the parade back in the mists of time. Wow.... just imagine

littlem1

04-11-2013 06:29 PM

There used to be a traditional green grocers where the betting shop is and a butchers where the cafe is now. I also live on Siddons road and would be devasted if a chicken shop were to open there, I will do everything as a resident I can to stop it going ahead. It would be lovely if lolo's could stay a bakery as it was lovely but I think maybe it should stay a simple bakery with with cakes and sandwiches and really good coffee!!! Sad to see it gone it was very sudden.

wynell

16-11-2013 09:14 AM

It is unfortunate that it closed, I only visited once before I went abroad for a while. I did say to the owner that if she wanted to make a difference brown sugar for the coffee, decent paper napkins, plus true patisserie/bread offerings would make it work. Nothing changed as previously mentioned no nice cakes and trying to compete with the café next door was never going to happen.

Shame if it was more like Café-cream? in FH then it would have gained regular clientele. Would a chicken shop really survive?

Tomcat

16-11-2013 03:31 PM

My view would be that (sadly) a chicken shop may well survive, despite Sabah's fish bar being across the road, owing to the business from the school kids at Forest Hill High. Doesn't bear thinking about.

littlem1

17-11-2013 12:17 PM

Horrible to admit I think your right but how awful it would be to have that at the end of the road. I hope it doesn't happen

Butlerrr

23-11-2013 09:44 AM

Does anyone know if this is for rent it closed recently and I would be interested
In renting it or if you know of any other small shop in the area that is available
I'd be very interested please let me know or anywhere with a small kitchen and storage

PollyEster63

23-11-2013 10:59 AM

You're not thinking of opening a chicken shop are you Butlerr?Smile

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HOP - New baker/Patisserie? Ghis 43 37,258 13-02-2008 02:06 PM
Last Post: jon14