SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Help with original stained glass - double glazing dilemma
Minicrinkle

31-10-2013 10:39 PM

Hi, our house is freezing in the winter, even with heating on at full maximum so we are looking into double glazing. It's a 1920s/30s house and we have original stained glass windows at the front and I really don't want to get rid of them. It seems that the choices are secondary glazing or encapsulation (basically sandwiching the original stained glass in a double glazed unit)....has anyone else faced the same dilemma? What did you go for? How did you like it? Thanks!

This post was last modified: 31-10-2013 10:41 PM by Minicrinkle.

Find all posts by this user
Londondrz

01-11-2013 09:11 AM

I went to Homebase and bought secondary glazing film. It is a bit fiddly at first but once you get the hang of it fits easily. At around £18 to fit to all the windows in my house it was a no brained.

Simply remove in summer.

Link http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/sto...ber=565864

shzl400

01-11-2013 10:20 PM

We had a similar dilemma. Didn't want to lose the original leaded lights, but the frames were completely rotten, so secondary glazing not an option.

Asked exactly the same question as you, but found no one willing or able to do that. Also, replacement in timber not only v. expensive, but also won't last as long as the originals did - apparently they don't season the timber like the used to do 100 years ago.

Eventually, reluctantly, went for uPVC replacements from a (family-run) company called Crestshield, who did an excellent job replicating the look, at least, of the leaded lights.

Well pleased with the results and the house is just so much drier, with no condensation (and accompanying black mould, if you don't stay on top of it) on the inside of the windows like we used to have

Perryman

02-11-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:
the house is just so much drier, with no condensation

Did they install vents as well?

shzl400

02-11-2013 01:15 PM

No, they didn't. I remember we had a discussion on the subject, but I can't remember the pros and cons that led to the decision to give them a miss. I think the upshot was that frankly, they don't make a whole lot of difference. There are other air vents elsewhere in the house.

I'd also recommend that you get your roof looked at, if its not been replaced since it was built. That's also made a huge difference to the house being wind and water-tight.

Mr_Numbers

04-11-2013 09:13 AM

You might try talking to this guy:

http://www.artwithglass.co.uk

I got a quote for a repair job a while ago but just haven't got around to doing anything about it yet so I have not used them and don't know how good they are. But when I asked at The London Door Company if they did stained glass repairs in doors they immediately suggested Art with Glass. I think one of my neighbours used them to do a repair and add secondary glazing after a break-in so they will be able to advise you. Not a cheap solution, but possibly a sound one.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields