SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Loxton Rd
KatJefford

30-10-2013 07:31 AM

Hello
I wondered if anyone could tell me whether Loxton rd is a good road to live in Forest Hill. It seems like a lovely road but I wasn't sure if it was a bit far from the action?
Thanks in advance!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Belle

30-10-2013 12:41 PM

I have friends on Elsinore Rd, which is further still from the station. Yes it's a bit of a walk but then you get a more for your money - it's the trade off. I've walked round there and it seems a very pleasant residential area and it seems to me that it's only going to become more desirable. A lot of the houses on Kemble, Colfe and Elsinore Road are being done up. Good luck!

AMFM

30-10-2013 02:34 PM

We live relatively nearby and while I don't really know the road itself, the area is generally a nice part of Forest Hill and improving every day - you're not really far from the action and if you cut up to Trilby Road ands use the little path through to South Road, that's probably the quickest route to the station and the town centre (certainly no more than a 10 min walk I'd say)

bluesuperted

30-10-2013 08:26 PM

We live on Colfe and love it. I walk down Loxton everyday several times, it's lovely, very quiet, nice 30s houses and the whole grid of streets round by us are all so nice too IMO. Hundreds of skips and loads of people having work done (including us!) as Belle says. Plenty of families, good schools etc but also only 12 mins walk to the station. I wouldn't trade living closer to FH itself for a lesser house personally but I guess it depends on your life stage!

Tomcat

31-10-2013 11:42 AM

I echo the comments of Belle and Bluesuperted above. We live on Siddons Road, a stone's throw from Loxton. We've been here since 2008 and have even in this short time seen in the surrounding area significant home improvements take place. We renovated our home during 2008/09. To me this indicates that people are opting to stay in the area, and to, say, convert their lofts to extra bedrooms to allow this. Re distance I personally like being slightly removed from the centre. It's a 7 minute walk from my front door to the station - no biggy - and I find this walk psychologically (and literally) uplifting. It takes me up and away from the south circ up the hill past christchurch into what I like to think of as FH's sunny uplands (dont let anyone try to tell you these fall north of the train line toward Wood Vale - piffle !). The cut-through connecting South Road to Shipton Road mentioned upthread is very helpful as it allows you to circumvent Perry Vale. I guess there is a pre-disposal toward families in the area, but this reflects the housing stock - there are many houses here as oppose to flats. I would recommend the area. We plan to stay for a good while yet.

Sherwood

31-10-2013 03:35 PM

I catch the bus to the station.

barriedalenick

31-10-2013 05:44 PM

I'm on Cranston Road, just round the corner and have been here for 15 years. it's a good place to live (Cranston Road is busy though!)..

It's just under a mile to the station and to the bars etc around there and my wife and I walk it at any time without any worries - never had a single bit of hassle. It's not too far from "the action" with the bonus that you have Honor Oak not far away as well - with a couple of really nice restaurants.

It has recently become quite a popular place to live with house prices going up quickly in the roads south of the south circ attracting families and younger people alike.

Cazza123

31-10-2013 09:57 PM

We live on stanstead rd itself, on top of kilimorie rd. the south circular is not the prettiest but the side streets are! 10min walk to the station and on a lazy day you can just jump on a bus.

We moved to the area few months ago, not knowing the area at all nor south east (we lived in north london pre se23). We just fell for the 1st house we viewed here and went for our gut feeling. I must say i am glad we made the move, se23 has alot to offer. Its amazing how quick it is to get to central london yet it feel very peaceful and villagy here. Love the cafs, the butchery and new farmers market here.

The other nice bit bout this side is that there are 3 stations nearby: fh, catford and crafton pk. Catford is handy as it goes directly to charring cross. Not to mention that it has a high street wt major banks and discount shops, which can always be handy.

Hope this helps.

KatJefford

03-11-2013 12:23 PM

Thanks everyone! We decided to go with it and will be moving to the area in three weeks. Really excited, it sounds like a lovely place. We have a baby so being a bit further from the centre and getting more for our money suits us. I've done the walk to and from the station and didn't think it was bad at all but will have to try out those back roads. Thanks and look forward to meeting you soon Smile

Sherwood

04-11-2013 07:36 AM

Go up Farren Road first and turn right. It is not a steep as Trilby Road!

KatJefford

04-11-2013 10:04 AM

Will do thanks!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields