SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Society not allowed at Forest Hill Day
brian

12-06-2008 06:46 PM

I have started a new heading. This started on < fire >.

I am baffled who banned our society from the F H Day. To be honest I thought some of the displays were very poor and a FH Soc stall would have been great.
Who can we complain to so it does not happen in 09.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hilltopgeneral

12-06-2008 08:27 PM

I believe this happened last year (and possibly the year before if they were going then) too.

It might lend the event some relevance, rather than Guess The Weight Of The Cat or whatever.

Sherwood

12-06-2008 08:33 PM

Did I miss that?

michael

12-06-2008 09:36 PM

Email response I received when asking for a stall for the Forest Hill Society:

Forest Hill Traders Association wrote:
A few years ago it was decided that all religious and political groups and civic societies, due to issues in previous years, would be unable to attend this event. It was decided at this meeting, by the committee, that this ruling would still be enforced so unfortunately we are unable to accommodate your society at the event.

Whilst I understand the reasons behind this decision in previous years, I think this is very disappointing when it bars the Forest Hill Society from having a stall at Forest Hill Day. Whilst stop the demolition campaign got almost 500 signatures on the day (by standing at the bottom of the park rather than having a stall) nobody was able to receive any information about the work of the Forest Hill Society.

This is the third year we have been refused entry and I do hope that it will not happen again next year. FHTA should change their policy or make an exception.

billham

13-06-2008 08:53 AM

This does seem a rather strict enforcement of a 'political' group. I could understand that the IRA or Al Queda might reasonably be refused but the Forest Hill Society?? I sense some deeper underlying history here in truth.

I note that you were still able to do some 'politicking' within the park. This got me wondering what would happen if you just set up a little table in a corner and put up a sign saying 'Forest Hill Society'. It is after all a public space and I don't really see that the Traders Association or anyone else has a right to transform it into something else.

I presume that permission is given by the Horniman Trustees to run the event. Did they have any say in the decision to exclude?

brian

13-06-2008 10:26 AM

I am amazed that the FH Society could be considered controversal in any way. This is patently stupid.
Does anyone have an e mail address of the person we should contact re next year.

gingernuts

13-06-2008 11:37 AM

You need to do this by stealth. Apply for a craft stall and have a few stuffed toys with the Forest Hill Society logo sewn into them! How about that for idea? Also have a load Forest Hill Society Literature available. Smile

baggydave

13-06-2008 09:15 PM

Been to it a few times, not much cop. The Jerk Pork thing last year was far more entertaining, and if you go further a field the Carters Steam fair in Belair

roz

14-06-2008 08:47 AM

Forest Hill Traders Association Wrote:
A few years ago it was decided that all religious and political groups and civic societies, due to issues in previous years, would be unable to attend this event. It was decided at this meeting, by the committee, that this ruling would still be enforced so unfortunately we are unable to accommodate your society at the event.

I really do not understand this response as it surely is in the community interest to have something like the FHS at this event.

I have asked around several reputable local traders who are members of the FHTA and none of them were aware of any such ' decision' to ban certain groups, nor were there aware that there was even
a) a FHTA Committee or
b) a ' meeting' at which such things were discussed.

One even said he would be upset to hear he was potentially cited as excluding something like the FHS as he was himself a member and thought they were doing a great job.

I would like to know what previous ' issues' there were with civic societies as to the best of my knowledge, having attended probably most Forest Hill Days since they started, there have been no 'civic societies' in attendance by virtue of the fact that there were none representing Forest Hill. And in respect of a ban on political parties, how was the sitting MP able to have a stall there if that was so.

As someone has said, I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye. Has it perhaps something to do with the Horniman policy on who can attend or is it simply one of money, ie businesses have to pay to attend? Whilst FHD is a great day out for families, an equally great day out can be had in the Horniman Gardens most Sundays, more so when they put on one of their events. Effectively Forest Hill Day has become little more than a Sunday market at which local businesses do some self promotion. Not a bad thing in itself. but lets appreciate that is what it now is, not the ' community' day out which its advertised as being.

foxe

25-06-2008 11:57 AM

what kind of community would have no churches, civic groups or political parties? aaah......now I see it! Forest Hill day 'a celebration communism '. Come and queue at the tractor factory 17 stall.....

gingernuts

25-06-2008 02:23 PM

Well said Roz! Where can we get some of these answers? Indeed if Jimbo can have a stand why not other polical parties if they are supporting important issues relating to Forest Hill?

The older I get the less democratic our society seem to become.

brian

25-06-2008 02:42 PM

The idea that our Society is political or religious is patently ridiculous.
Sounds like PC going mad.

gingernuts

25-06-2008 03:00 PM

Not exactly....
The word politics comes from the Greek word 'Polis' meaning a city and it's citizens. Politics, the practice of ruling, is related to the society i.e. the people that live in the city or polis.

The FHS is not a major political party as we know it, but it does express the views of the citizens and have it's own agenda.

Regardless is it madness having a Forest Hill day where people are not allowed to celebrate their successes or complain about the things are going wrong. It may be that there are rules set out by Horniman for the use of the grounds that prohibit this. But then why does Jim Dowd get a platform?

Baboonery

25-06-2008 03:01 PM

In what way, Brian?

nevermodern

25-06-2008 03:09 PM

'Civic societies' are also banned. It's one of them, innit. Smile

foxe

25-06-2008 04:24 PM

Religious groups are just groups of ordinary people who believe stuff. Political parties are just groups of (perhaps less ordinary) people who believe stuff and the Forest Hill Society is just a group of people who believe stuff. Everybody believes stuff! To ban some people but not others is ridiculous (and offensive). It's like saying that Provender can't have a stand because they believe in using organic ingredients. I'm glad that we don't all agree on everything - why do these folks try to neuter Forest Hill day to all but a bloke with some balloons and a bit of bunting. Let's have a dynamic community and lots of community groups! Maybe then we'll get decent scrutiny of the swimming pool application too!

roz

25-06-2008 08:29 PM

I believe the people from the FHTA who organise Forest Hill Day have done so for many years and essentially are very good at what they do and probably do it now on autopilot. It takes some organisation to put this on every year. However it is a shame that it seems to be a top down arrangement without any scope for public input into the choice of events , or involvement of local groups other than a few selected local businesses.

Presumably there is no copyright on ' Forest Hill Day' so if people were minded to , subject to the agreement of the Horniman, they are free to put on other community events of their choosing. I suspect that if local businesses were invited to that too, they wouldnt stay away out of principle when there is free advertising and money to be made. There was a Green fair once inside the museum which was very educational and a lot of fun so that may be an idea.

There may also be an opportunity for local groups such as the FHS and others to have a stall at, say , the Jerk Cook Out.

Maybe something to think about for next summer!

michael

01-07-2008 09:13 PM

gingernuts wrote:
Regardless is it madness having a Forest Hill day where people are not allowed to celebrate their successes or complain about the things are going wrong. It may be that there are rules set out by Horniman for the use of the grounds that prohibit this. But then why does Jim Dowd get a platform?

June from the FHTA has asked me to point out that Jim Dowd did not have a stall at Forest Hill Day.

I would add that the rules regarding community groups are not imposed by the Horniman, who annually allow Tewkesbury Lodge Estate Residents Association to use the Dutch Barn for their AGM.

foxe

02-07-2008 12:27 PM

So who is it that wants to exclude civic organisations from atending a civic event - leaving it an insipid shell......

gingernuts

02-07-2008 12:31 PM

Must be the Forest Hill Traders Association, perhaps June can enlighten us?

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Police Communication admin 10 639 Today 08:30 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  Forest Hill Society Newsletter - April 2024 admin 0 128 Today 05:26 PM
Last Post: admin
  Why Forest Hill deserves its spot in the Best Places to Live in London Herbparis 3 964 20-03-2024 11:11 PM
  Forest Hill Police Newsletter Jan-Feb 2024 admin 0 772 26-02-2024 09:54 PM
  Forest Hill Police Newsletter - Dec 2023 admin 0 967 07-12-2023 12:02 PM
  Forest Hill Assembly Meeting November Anotherjohn 0 955 06-11-2023 07:43 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Forest Hill Police Newsletter - November 2023 admin 7 1,909 05-11-2023 04:48 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Lack of Royal Mail letter box deliveries in Forest Hill lately Scorpion 3 1,606 01-11-2023 10:24 AM
Last Post: Scorpion
  Free cameraless photography workshops at Forest Hill Library AdultLearningLew 0 1,050 26-10-2023 03:21 PM
Last Post: AdultLearningLew
  Total gridlock in Forest Hill because of Thames (Turd) Water Herbparis 7 2,164 21-10-2023 05:19 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Forest Hill home in the Guardian this weekend MDC 2 1,492 15-10-2023 04:19 PM
  Forest Hill Police Newsletter Oct 2023 admin 0 1,595 05-10-2023 04:21 PM
  Forest Hill Society eNewsletter - October 2023 admin 1 1,708 20-09-2023 08:23 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Forest Hill Police - September Newsletter admin 0 1,539 04-09-2023 08:22 PM
  Forest Hill Police - August Newsletter admin 3 2,179 06-08-2023 09:45 PM
  Forest Hill Society August Newsletter admin 0 1,542 28-07-2023 09:04 AM
  Forest Hill Ward - Coffee with a Cop admin 0 1,284 21-07-2023 04:34 PM
  Forest Hill Police Newsletter - Issue 1 admin 6 2,367 05-07-2023 09:29 AM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Forest Hill Open Gardens - Sunday 14 May Tina 0 1,484 09-05-2023 07:48 PM
Last Post: Tina
  Forest Hill ward councillors - how can we help? CllrBillyHarding 29 12,472 23-02-2023 09:27 AM
Last Post: ForestHill Mum