SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Where are all the squirrels?
discreet

12-10-2013 01:09 PM

At this time of year we are usually inundated by hordes of grey squirrels busy arguing with each other and gathering up huge hordes of acorns, which are plentiful in SE23 due to the high number of oak trees in the area.

But this year I have not seen a single squirrel, and we seem to be ankle-deep in ripe acorns. What has happened to the squirrels? Has some terrible disease overtaken them? And what are we to do with the valuable, nutritious acorns? Compost them?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Erekose

12-10-2013 03:24 PM

You could always wind the clock back to a time when coffee was generally unavailable due to the war and make acorn coffee......my parents recall that it was an acquired taste....

Cellar Door

12-10-2013 03:45 PM

discreet wrote:
But this year I have not seen a single squirrel...

I saw one at about 1pm in the Animal Enclosure at The Horniman. In the bit with the beautiful two little Alpacas. I don't think it was a captive of the Animal Enclosure.

This squirrel stared right at me. Like I owed him/her money.

I hate it when they do that.

nottinghillbilly

12-10-2013 08:43 PM

There are loads on Taymount rise, and I've been hit by conkers they've dropped out the trees a couple of times!

OakR

12-10-2013 08:45 PM

I believe most of them are currently located in close proximity to the bird feeder in my garden.

OakR

12-10-2013 08:46 PM

Cellar Door - have you been to Kelsey Park - those squirrels are crazy and have no fear!

Tinkerbell

12-10-2013 09:11 PM

OakR - it appears we share the same garden.

The head honcho squirrel has been back in his favourite tree since mid-September, screetching loudly when one of the cats is nearby (24/7) Several furry little members of his gang have since also reappeared. So no need to worry.

rshdunlop

12-10-2013 10:59 PM

Where are the squirrels? Fighting and squabbling and burying acorns in my garden. that 's where. Plenty of them about. If you aren't seeing any maybe something has scared them off?

discreet

12-10-2013 11:13 PM

Could be the trio of foxes that appear regularly to rip the local shop's bin bags to pieces and strew the contents all over.

But that tends to be at night... nothing during the day, really. Maybe there's something toxic emanating from my house... God knows what, though. I don't read The Daily Mail.

Cellar Door

14-10-2013 01:30 PM

OakR wrote:
Cellar Door - have you been to Kelsey Park - those squirrels are crazy and have no fear!

Hi OakR,

I have never been inside Kelsey Park. But I’ve cycled past it many a time.

Now you have inspired me. Crazy squirrels that have no fear are worth the effort to find.

Thank you OakR – I’ll head on down there this week to experience.

Before I do, I just want to show this picture of a Kelsey Park Squirrel sourced from The Daily Mail.

Here is the link to the original article from the Daily Mail.

(The Daily Mail is truly one of the oddest of odd newspapers, isn’t it?

One minute haranguing some part of society for this, that or the other and next minute running an article about nutty squirrels in Kelsey Park.

The Daily Mail could quite possibly be the most bonkers newspaper. Except there are a few other rags in this country to give it a run for it’s money!)

OakR

14-10-2013 07:58 PM

Cellar Door, I thought you were joking about the Daily Mail article, but nothing escapes them. Of course they are foreign squirrels so we should not be surprised the DM has an article on them!

I look forward to your post visit report!

discreet

14-10-2013 08:04 PM

Gratifying to see photographic evidence of at least one squirrel in SE London. But I'm not sure I'd be happy to be papped while chomping on my nuts. Especially by The Daily Mail.

This post was last modified: 14-10-2013 08:05 PM by discreet.

Townleygreen

15-10-2013 02:00 PM

Well we have loads of squirrels in Beckenham - you can have some of ours willingly. I dislike them messing with my garden.

discreet

15-10-2013 06:51 PM

Yes, I'll take them off your hands. They're delicious. Eating squirrel didn't do Elvis any harm, did it? Unsure

Perryman

16-10-2013 10:01 PM

Don't be cruel.

discreet

17-10-2013 07:30 AM

A little less conversation.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields