SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fuel Spill at Tesco Garage?
robwinton

11-10-2013 01:45 PM

I'm guessing there was a fuel spill at the Tesco garage today? There was a small of diesel all down London Road and then Waldram Park Road - and the rainbow effect of diesel on water as I walked back after lunch.

Anyone else notice it? Is this something to be reported?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

11-10-2013 02:07 PM

Please report, very nasty stuff if on a motorcycle or bike!!

robwinton

11-10-2013 02:11 PM

very good point - but to whom?

robwinton

11-10-2013 02:34 PM

SO annoying!

I report it to Lewisham Environmental who are actually pretty good until you tell them it is the south circular (red route) in which case, despite the danger, they put their hands up and say call tfl (no help contacting them)

So I then try to contact tfl who have no way of giving them emergency information. Their customer service line only seems to deal with travel directions - not even an "any other query" line. USELESS!

Finally, I reported it to the Metropolitan Police (via 101). I hate using this service as I'm sure they have more important issues to deal with, but in the absence of any other help, and to help others, I guess there was not much else to do.

I do hate the fact that living on this road I'm effectively in no-man's land. Already complained to TFL about not dealing with the trees properly.

Cellar Door

12-10-2013 08:44 AM

robwinton wrote:
Finally, I reported it to the Metropolitan Police (via 101). I hate using this service as I'm sure they have more important issues to deal with, but in the absence of any other help, and to help others, I guess there was not much else to do.

I think that 101 was a perfectly logical conclusion to call after the brief run-around you got from Lewisham Environmental and TFL.

And I agree that it was annoying and the TFL aspect was particularly useless. (I’m already furiously handwriting a letter to the Major of London, a Mr. Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, with my left hand as I type this response to your thread with my right hand.)

Thank you very much robwinton. As someone who tears down there on my bicycle I know how dangerous it can be even on a relatively good day. You probably saved someone a nasty tumble. Or worse.

This made me think about the 101 service. From the Police 101 website they say:

101 - The police non-emergency number wrote:
When to call 101?

You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response.

For example, you should call 101 if:

• your car has been stolen
• your property has been damaged
• you suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood

Or to:

• report a minor traffic collision
• give the police information about crime in your area
• speak to the police about a general enquiry

Therefore, after exhausting Lewisham Environmental and TFL I think calling the police about this as a general enquiry was spot-on.

‘Tis a pity that the people that you spoke with at Lewisham Environmental and TFL were a bit lacklustre this time. Maybe a rainy Friday afternoon and they had their eye on the clock and the weekend lurking just beyond that.

Anyway, thank you again from myself as a cyclist for your tenacity in getting this sorted, robwinton.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tesco Garage in Forest Hill and price of petrol hertburs 7 8,037 04-10-2013 04:41 PM
Last Post: hertburs