SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next > Last »
Where did you live before you came to SE23?
Belle

19-09-2013 09:46 AM

Hi Nomadic. Be under no illusions, FH is a busy station and you'll be lucky to get a seat on the Overground any time before 9.30am. If you're lucky you may get a seat on a train to London Bridge but you'll have to be first in the queue i.e. waiting by the door. The benefit of FH though is that at least you can get your own space standing down in the middle of the carriage, whereas at Honor Oak it's a bit of a squeeze (i.e. you're more crammed by the door) and at Brockley it's almost impossible - ok you're in zone 2 but it seems to be a fight for people just to get onto a train - who needs the added stress at that time in the morning! I had that problem when I got on the train from Wandsworth and it was a complete nightmare.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nomadic

19-09-2013 10:05 AM

Hi Belle,

Yes CJ is a nightmare in the morning! I do have two wheels (a motorbike) that I commute in apart from winter. I'm thinking about getting a scooter and using the bike for track days only anway. If that happens I would hardly use the train apart from work drinks (hiccup)....

blushingsnail

19-09-2013 11:01 AM

Price and location seem fine. It's in the residential roads between Stanstead Road and Perry Vale, so is quiet. Personally I wouldn't be keen to walk that far from a main road along residential streets to get home at night, but that's just me. Houses in that area are now past £400k, so £330k for a maisonette seems reasonable.

Be aware that there have been planning applications to build a house on the empty plot next door (in Vestris Road). But I don't think that will affect any light/overlooking of the windows of this maisonette.

Nomadic

19-09-2013 11:09 AM

Thanks Blushingsnail for that.

Things will start to quieten down now I suspect as Christmas approaches. Will keep an eye out for properties...

ryananglem

19-09-2013 11:12 AM

I have lived in Swiss Cottage and before that Chiswick, Notting Hill, Leicester Square, Acton, Wimbledon

As others have noted, I think Forest Hill has a strong community feel - one that Ive not found elsewhere in the city.

For transport links, most places are easy (and faster) to commute to by bike from here.. see link that I found earlier today..

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog...rt-faster

..and as far as making things better, the proposal to bury the A205 would be a great idea - certainly for the town centre.

Nomadic

19-09-2013 11:52 AM

Thanks ryananglem, useful information that. Not sure I could ride from London Bridge to Forest Hill in under 12 minutes however!

Nicola37

19-09-2013 12:09 PM

We looked at this flat about three months ago, it sold eventually, looks like it has come back on the market for some reason. Would concern me slightly, especially since it was first listed Dec 2012.

When we first saw it it was on for around £300k and looks like they have hiked up the price, in keeping with all the conversations on here!

Massive flat but no outdoor space so didn't suit us.

lacb

19-09-2013 12:12 PM

I was thinking something similar Nomadic. It is difficult to be sure, as the exact method isn't publicised, but it looks as though the cycle comparison used is for a fast cyclist who is prepared to use the main roads. Useful for some, no doubt, but pretty misleading I suspect for the majority who use public transport currently.

OakR

19-09-2013 12:15 PM

Nomadic

My cycle (pedal bike) to work in Shoreditch is around 27-30 mins on a good day, 35 on a bad one - getting to London Bridge is about 20-25 minutes.

I find it faster than going by car certainly, though I do need a shower at the other end.

As for the trains, I start work at 8am generally, but the Overground seems much much busier than the train, where there always seems to be much more room whatever time of day (I rarely get it past 8.30am however).

Good luck

Nicola37

19-09-2013 12:50 PM

Blushingsnail

Perhaps that is why it has come back on the market because of the planning permission? Definitely feel something is not right as it was such a spacious flat!

Herbert

19-09-2013 12:59 PM

Hi Nomadic,

The property looks reasonably priced. I live extremely close, my wife has no problem with the walk home (about 10 minutes). I think it's a great little area.

Nomadic

19-09-2013 01:08 PM

Hi all,

Well the route probably includes not stopping at red lights! On my motorbike I have been passed by push bikes I have left behind, often due to lights. I'd rather get home in one piece than push it and I doubt I could do 12 minutes on the 954cc bike, let alone green pedal power.

As for the flat, that is interesting information, see you lot are helpful already! Ideally want below stamp and something I can improve, but that is around my limit for the time being if buying the finished article.

Any recommendations of where to buy generally and what price goes with the area? I certainly will post in here in future to get your thoughts.

I'm think I am sold on the area, if only you wore your usernames as badges on the high street....

Saskia

19-09-2013 02:05 PM

Hi Nomadic

If it is of any use, from the flat mentioned you could walk to catford or crofton park for a train (15 to Catford /20 to CP is what is takes me from very near by) which will go direct to blackfriars/ city thameslink/ farringdon in less than half an hour.

ryananglem

19-09-2013 02:42 PM

@nomadic et al

The speed that they use for that website (apparently) was calculated using the TfL journey planner speeds which are probably not over exerting. I don't think that anyone would actually cycle to London Bridge in 12 minutes (and I don't even think you can manage that on the train), though if you average out the wait time between trains and take into account walking from your house to the station and the station to your destination you'll probably find it takes about 30 mins which I'd imagine is an average cycling time. When I used to work in London Bridge it would take me around 25mins.

kingkong

19-09-2013 03:04 PM

I live in HOP, by Stillness school, and work in Camden Lock, halfway between Camden Town & Chalk Farm station. I cycle, ride a motorbike and once in a while travel on public transport. My travel times are like this;

bicycle - 45 minutes there, 50 minutes back (I'm tired coming home and its uphill all the way from Peckham Common!). I'm a 40 year old riding a single speed so I'm not particularly fast.

motorbike - 35 minutes pretty much all the time. I vary my route depending on roadworks.

train - HOP to LB and then Northern Line, or HOP - CW - Camden. Door to door takes me at least an hour. An alternative is Crofton Park - Kentish town and then a 10 minute walk. This also takes an hour but is less busy and I can sit down.

To answer the original thread, I lived in Raynes Park, Borough High Street, Bethnall Green, Notting Hill, before buying a flat in Camberwell (5 years, and then moving to a house in HOP in 2007.

Cheers,

Triangle

19-09-2013 03:06 PM

To put a spin on things – I lived in a flat in Forest Hill during the 1950’s and 1960’s, but acquiring a dog subsequently meant acquiring a garden – and even in those days, FH house prices were “challenging”. So that meant a move to the Ravensbourne Park area of Catford.

Stayed in and around the SE6 area until the early 90’s, when I considered it was no longer for me and then looked around for an area that was like the Forest Hill I used to know. I found it in the town of Sevenoaks in Kent, where I live today.

I still pass through Forest Hill on my commute to London every day (by motorcycle) and occasionally take a detour around the roads I walked in the 50’s and 60’s. Naturally, much has changed, but if I had to come back and live in London, I’d be looking to buy in the Forest Hill area because I still think it is significantly better than most other parts of SE London.

If I could change one thing about it now? Well, I’d like to remove the South Circular and create some sort of Forest Hill bypass – however, if I could wave a wand then I’d like to take Forest Hill back in time to the 50’s, so you could all see what it was like when most of the original houses were still standing and there was a fine selection of shops. Funny that some of you are hankering for a good cinema – because when I lived in FH the Capitol cinema was still going strong – and I could park my motorcycle right outside it in the main road and it would still be there when I came out!

I would just add that Sevenoaks reminds me a lot of Forest Hill – green, leafy, hilly, surrounded by parks and spaces, with a very similar housing stock and good selection of schools – so despite the 50 years between the two – it still feels to me like a home from home.

mcbain23

19-09-2013 03:30 PM

I'm from a Northumberland market town called Morpeth originally, but London wise it's been.. Richmond, Stockwell, Angel, Stoke Newington, Clapham, Crystal Palace and now HOP since January.

Really like the area and it seems you blink and something new is being developed - great to see such investment in the local neighborhood.

Dislikes.. can't really complain about the South Circ as i'm on Blythe Hill side - and I'd say to those looking for a decent pub, do check out the Blythe Hill Tavern, nice ales and has the footie on too. I suffer the Overground sardine crush each morning on the 8.31, not sure what they can do about that though..

Better get in quick Nomadic have you seen what's happening to the house prices, wowser!!

Cellar Door

19-09-2013 03:48 PM

That is a beautiful posting, Triangle. I’ve already read it a few times. Thank you.

I wish that you could wave a wand so that I could see Forest Hill back in the 50’s. Although, I feel that a bit of your magic may have been done by alluding that Sevenoaks reminds you of Forest Hill in the 50’s.

I have not been down to Sevenoaks much this year. I love Knole and Ightham Mote and walking the leafy streets of Sevenoaks. So, I’ll pack my trusty National Trust card, saddle up my bicycle and head down to the Garden of England tomorrow.

Sevenoaks is so peaceful. I feel that you have chosen wisely with your home from home.

Thank you again, Triangle.

mcbain23 wrote:
…and I'd say to those looking for a decent pub, do check out the Blythe Hill Tavern, nice ales and has the footie on too.

I could not agree with you more, mcbain23.

Named best in South East London by CAMRA in 2012 and well deserved. I think I’ll land there tomorrow after my cycle to Sevenoaks to wet my whistle.

OakR

19-09-2013 07:13 PM

Re the cycle, I'm nearly 40 and not particularly fit anymore sadly.

I do no cycle down the A2 and cut through Burgess Park which does speed things up.

I previously went the TFL Cycle planner through all the backstreets - that took longer circa 45 mins, but I did also cycle a bit slower in those days.

I also tend to cycle back up the One Tree Hill way now instead of up Peckham Rye which is faster but leaves me gasping for breath by the time I've cycled to the top .

Times I posted above though are without any red light jumping!

P1971

21-09-2013 09:29 PM

I'm originally from Glasgow and lived in Hampstead when I first moved to London as a student, followed by Chalk Farm, then moved to Longfield in Kent, then Brockley and finally FH 15 years ago when I had kids and Forest Hill is by far my favorite place to live as it is so community based.
Most of the independant shopkeepers live in the area which means they love and care about the area, go and have a look at The Forest Hill Society website to find out what is going on in the area. AND so sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we will have a regular pop up cinema coming to Louise House soonish. So sorry to disappoint you all that wanted to go further afield to watch a movie, but you will be able to watch movie's locally in about 6 months time. In the meantime you can rent a film at For Your Eyes Only, our local DVD rental shop on Dartmouth Rd.
Things I hate about the area are that traders and volunteers try to give locals what they want, shocking!

This post was last modified: 21-09-2013 09:35 PM by P1971.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields