SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Weekly Oyster
john-f

28-09-2013 06:26 PM

Hi
My daughter is on work experience in Moorgate for the next two weeks. She has a pay-as-you-go Oyster card. Can she also put a weekly travelcard onto the same Oyster card? Does a weekly save money? Many thanks

This post was last modified: 28-09-2013 06:28 PM by john-f.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
annsquire66

28-09-2013 08:17 PM

Hi,

Yes, she can add a weekly pass to her existing Oyster card and it should work out cheaper than PAYG, especially if she is travelling at peak time. It's £17.80 for a 1-3 zone for teens in education.

MightyMouse

28-09-2013 09:08 PM

Yep, I have a monthly one on my Oyster, as well as some PAYG credit for when I step outside zones 1-3.

And a travelcard should definitely be cheaper than PAYG. What TFL don't tell you (and I found out to my cost recently) is that the PAYG fares they quote on the TFL website are for travelling on the Overground and Tube. If you take a Southern train to London Bridge as part of the journey, it's rather more expensive. I thus ended up paying more for four days of travel than it would have cost me to buy a weekly travelcard (which is how I found out this well-concealed bit of info).

Of course, as your daughter is much younger than me it might be different with young people's fares - but I suspect not.

john-f

29-09-2013 10:22 AM

Many thanks to you both

ryananglem

30-09-2013 08:27 AM

@MightyMouse (and anyone else who is interested too)

Although it is more expensive to change once you have taken at trip via national rail - it is cheaper if you just go point to point. This means that although its more expensive if you go to London Bridge via Southern and then change for the Northern Line to Moorgate, if you get off at London Bridge (same zone) it is 10p cheaper than taking the overground via Canada Water.

I agree, its very confusing.

MightyMouse

30-09-2013 05:39 PM

@ryananglem, thanks for that - that's very interesting and I shall file it away for future info!

My commute is to Paddington - my preferred route is to London Bridge (because I stand a chance of getting a seat, and the walk down to the Jubilee there is good for my daily pedometer target!) then Jubilee to Baker Street, then the Bakerloo to Paddington.

This is a couple of quid more expensive, on PAYG, than Overground to Canada Water, then getting the Jubilee. Which as I say I only found out after a couple of days of doing it... Ah well, at least now I know!

But I would have assumed the same would be true to London Bridge itself, so thanks for the info.

(Though actually, now I catch the Overground more often, as because of the London Bridge works the train often sits miserably outside the station for up to ten minutes waiting for a platform...)

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields