SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Fire!
JonJon

08-06-2008 08:22 AM

I was about to ask here if anyone knew if the power cut was connected to the smoke billowing above somewhere over the station car park/industrial estate.

I've called EDF and they have confirmed that they are dealing with a serious incident which affects SE23, SE26, SE6, BR1 & BR2.

So seeing as this laptop battery is low already this might be the last time i'll be online for a while.

Anyone know anymore?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billham

08-06-2008 10:17 AM

Probably pretty pointless since most people will be offline but here's the story from the BBC. Looks pretty serious and if it started at 7.21 power has already been down 4 hours...how come this never happens when my fridge is empty!! Happy Forest Hill Day!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7442424.stm

roz

08-06-2008 10:59 AM

Now back on here at 11.45am. Off for three hours in total. Pretty good going in the circumstances I think as we were anticipating been off supply until tomorrow. Hopefully no one hurt in this incident.

roz

08-06-2008 11:01 AM

PS- our supply went off at 8.45am- not sure about elsewhere but if thats typical for the area most fridge and freezer contents should be safe, even on a hot day like this one. Hopefully Forest Hill Day will continue as normal!

Scorpion

08-06-2008 01:53 PM

Count your blessings, those of you fortunate enough to be able to read this post/thread/forum on your computer, AND those who are very fortunate indeed, to have your power back on because, where I live - an estate, between Dartmouth Road (Library part) and SE26 end of Thorpewood Avenue - we still have not got power (it's almost 3pm now) and have no idea if/when we will get it back Crying

Apparantly the power went, there, at approx. 7:30am this morning (I was not at home overnight, last night, so wasn't there this morning also but of course realised there was a problem around about 9-ish this morning when the power went out, here - near to Honor Oak Road)

I am currently using the computer at and typing from, my sisters house, and luckily their power came back on approx same time as mentioned previously (above) 11.45am and all is well.

Oh well, think we will have a wander over to Horniman Park now and join in with Forest Hill Day.

Really hoping no-one was hurt (including of course, the Firefighters etc) today and also, I hope that those living closest to the Power Station will not be affected/inconvenienced too long and that everyone gets their power back sometime today.
I dread to think what it will be like for myself and my sons if its off overnight or even longer AND anyone else who may be unlucky enough to live within the affected area/s still without power at this time.

Ho Hum ........... Rolleyes

HAPPY FOREST HILL DAY to everyone! Wink

brian

08-06-2008 02:09 PM

Hi Scorpion
I appreciate I am lucky in Dacres Rd to have power back at 12.15pm.

Whilst I appreciate being without power overnight not ideal , I am sure many older members who have been through the blitz would think your comments ( heaven knows what we will do ) as a bit over the top.
Having said that I hope you do get power back very soon

Scorpion

08-06-2008 02:19 PM

Hello Brian and thanks.
Yes I know, it did sound a bit over the top didn't it?
I was mainly thinking about if it continues into tomorrow and longer, really, NOT just over one night - that's when it will be worse (food in freezer etc)
Also, no lifts working on the estate - I don't need to use the lift, as am on 1st floor, but am worried about the elderly etc and also, no lighting, I presume, will be working, within stair wells etc. so not good for all who live there.

Anyway, yes, over the top maybe, the way I posted it - made it come out sounding wrong - but, one night won't matter at all, in the context of things; not for myself and my sons, for sure, but it could be/will be, very bad for some other residents.
Let's hope it won't come to that anyway, hey? Wink

BTW -
I meant to put this link in my post, before, but forgot.
Thought this may be helpful, to keep track of events, if it updates often Smile

Scorpion

08-06-2008 02:22 PM

DUH! HERE IS the link referred to in my previous post (3rd time lucky lol)
Blush

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/lewgre...ackout.php

brian

08-06-2008 03:50 PM

Hi Scorpion
Hope you have power back now. Have strolled down for forst time and I was surprised that the German Bridge was open.Fire Brigade as usual have done a great job.

Snazy

08-06-2008 07:01 PM

Was out with the camera first thing. Wow what a sight.

Snazy

08-06-2008 07:02 PM

2 more pics.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Perryman

08-06-2008 07:30 PM

Of course there will need to be a full and thorough investigation to ensure all the facts are hidden from us.

This is what will not be revealed: that due to outsourcing and cutbacks a transformer had not been properly serviced/maintained and the coolant (oil) had leaked. The transformer then overheated and set the oil alight.

The safety systems had all been turned off as they are old and due replacement.

Not a fact here, but it all rings true eh?

Oh and the sub contractor's deal will be renewed for another 10yrs and the CEO of the national grid will be knighted and asked to oversee the new nuclear generator programme.

Yes, be thankful that wasnt a nuclear plant.

seeformiles

08-06-2008 07:50 PM

At 6pm I still didn't have any power so have had to go to a friend's place.
I live not far from the Horniman so would be interested to know what the situation is round there now if anyone can supply an update.

Scorpion

08-06-2008 07:56 PM

Hi Brian (and all) Cheers, but no, no power as yet (almost 9.00pm) and a neighbour who I have been in contact with, says that on one of his (many) phone calls to "those in charge of the electric power stuff" told him "maybe by 11pm" (but maybe not?) and that the delay was "not being allowed on to the site, to fix the problem, by the (think he said) emergency services etc."
So, really unsure at this time as to when we, in one of the still affected, no-power, areas, and others, will "see the light" and have our electricity back on.
Have made two visits to my home/estate today (after spending most of the day at my sisters) to chat with neighbours etc. but now, currently, back at my sisters (off Dunoon Road) to type to you and to be able to try and glean some more info from the Web, her landline etc. We'll be going home later and at least I will be able to boil water for coffee (gas cooker) and, should it go into tomorrow (hope not but seems likely, to me) I can at least cook food too, which, unfortunately, some others won't be able to do due to being "electric" so we are more fortunate than others, but of course, it's more the safety and security and well-being of other neighbours (esp. older/vulnerable/alone etc) that is of concern.
No landlines are working on our estate and some do not have mobiles (call box's are out also)
Not good, at all :-|
I will do what I can, to help some others, anyway, should the need arise and if this problem continues overnight, into tomorrow and (gawd forbid!) onward into other days.

Anyway, its good to be back again, participating in this Forum - I had some months away (again) through choice.
Looking forward to, once again, posting on AND gaining information etc. from, SE23.com (even more so when our power is back on, at home LOL)

Have a good evening all Smile

seeformiles

08-06-2008 08:07 PM

Thanks Scorpion. I must say I was getting a bit frustrated being told by BBC News that the majority of homes are ok but knowing my area was still affected.
Oh well, I'm lucky I've got somewhere to go. I have a pile of work I was supposed to mail to my tutor so it's thrown a spanner in the works but it could be a lot worse I guess. As long as she doesn't think my excuse is one step away from 'the dog ate my homework'....

Scorpion

08-06-2008 08:23 PM

Some good points there Perryman Thumbup
I guess we will never know the real truth *sigh*

seeformiles - the Horniman clock was showing 10:55 when I passed it earlier (about 7:30pm ish) so not sure if that is any help? (it might have been showing a different time, earlier in the day, after the power-out)

Yes, and the bit stating
"We are now able to access most of the site and are working to restore supplies to remaining customers as quickly as possible." he said. - really does not tally with what my neighbour said, but .......................... oh well Rolleyes

LOL yes, hopefully this event/story, will be exposed better tomorrow (I read elsewhere that BBC London News will be highlighting it tomorrow (?) - hope so, but a bit late then, yes? lol) and your excuse will be better believed than the "my dog ate my homework" one.
Seriously, I hope you manage, somehow, to get the coursework in ok, soon.

Wink

marianna

08-06-2008 08:35 PM

We live opposite Sydenham Police Station. Electricity back on at 9.10pm so over 12 1/2 hours off. Will have to throw out everything in freezer/fridge. Surely there should be some back-up plan when these things happen? Anyone know how to claim for wasted food?

Scorpion

08-06-2008 08:35 PM

Should have stated, in my last post (just incase seeformiles or anyone else, did not read my earlier postings) - I do not live near The Horniman, really, I am on the opposite side of London Road up the hill, between SE23 end and SE26 end of Thorpewood Avenue - just off of Derby Hill Crescent, so very near to the actual Electricity Power Station itself (and the side of the tracks that seems, mostly, to have some areas that are still affected - including Horniman area, though some of Catford and, it seems, a few other areas, are still affected)
Most areas' Traffic Lights seem to be ok now but some were still out (an hour or so ago, at least)

Also, I am currently posting on and reading this Forum (and other websites) from my sisters house, off of Dunoon Road - they have their power back, obviously (and have had, since around 11:45am today)

Anyway, it continues ...................

TTFN Smile

scipio

08-06-2008 08:52 PM

Recorded message by EDF indicates 11pm is the magic hour for those of us in SE23 still waiting for the power to be restored.

Scorpion

08-06-2008 09:04 PM

Thanks scipio - that was apparantly, what they stated earlier (about 7.00pm) also Crying
Lets hope it happens!

Would just like to state (generally) WELL DONE to the Emergency Services, this morning (especially the LONDON FIRE BRIGADE! YAY!)

They did an excellent job Smile
Hope everyone is ok.

Regards, Best Wishes and Goodwill to everyone, be safe, be secure AND, PLEASE ........ everyone (especially those of you in an area still "out") - check on your elderly or vulnerable, or just ANY, neighbours in times of need/on occasions such as this.

I got a call earlier, on my mobile, from an elderly neighbour (where I live) who did not want to trouble me all day, but who "as an "electric cooker person" was getting desperate for some hot water, for a hot drink.
I'll be filling a flask full with hot water, the minute I get home (in about 30 minutes) for them
Wink

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields