SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fire alarm going off
SEdweller

09-06-2008 12:08 AM

There is a fire alarm going off in Dartmouth road (old Natwest Bank building opposite Bird in Hand Pub) that is driving everyone crazy. Building is apparently unoccupied. It is now 1am and we have been calling the Lewisham Council switchboard number for half an hour on and off now (supposedly manned 24 hours) 0208 314 6000 to report it to the noise nuisance team who work until 4am). There is no reply from the swtichboard - any ideas on what to do next. There is no sleep to be had!!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SEdweller

09-06-2008 12:16 AM

The fire brigade have just been called out by another resident and have taken it off the wall - hurrah - what a wast of their time though especially as if they have not had enough to deal with after the fire at the sub-station. Goodnight!

eastofthetrack

09-06-2008 08:48 AM

I feel for you - I live near the Adult Education Centre on Brockley Rise...not only is there alarm loud, it is a voiced message which scares the **** out of you.

The Noise Police were very unhelpful when I called them (about a year ago), mainly I think because they were about to finish their shift. They suggested I call the Police (who suggested I call the Noise peeps).

So, this weekend, it's:

Electricity/Fire Service 1-0 Lewisham Council

Baboonery

09-06-2008 08:50 AM

Well done. It was driving me nuts.

I was away at the weekend and only got back about 2100, about 40 minutes before the power came back on. When did it go off?

Baboonery

09-06-2008 08:51 AM

Ah. Read the other thread.

shzl400

09-06-2008 06:46 PM

There seems to be some confusion between the police and the council as to who is responsible for buglar alarms. There was one driving us nuts a week or two ago just down the road from us, so I rang the police - they said that it was them, if it was a commercial property, but the council if it was residential. Then I rang the council who explained that when responsibility for residential properties' burglar alarms passed over to them from the police, the police neglected to hand over the contact lists for keyholders with that responsibility. On the plus side, I did get an answer from the council's switchboard almost immediately and someone from their noise team called back in fairly short order.

SEdweller

10-06-2008 10:17 AM

Just had a reply backf rom Lewisham council as to why the switchboard was not answering. It was due to the powercut - their phones did not come back up until 0730 on Monday - at least that answers one question. As to who is responsible for what - confusion still abounds.

brian

10-06-2008 10:44 AM

Surely the council noise police MUST be out and about 24/7 otherwise a complete waste of time.
This is one of the major causes of arguments , high blood pressure and violence so needs to be nipped in the bud.
If they work on the premise that if noise can be heard in the street it is too loud.
Why oh why does the government put restrictions on the anti social .........s who drive round with an excuse for music blaring out of the car as loud as possible. The fact the speakers are pointed outwards should tell us something. I am not a violent person but if I did carry a gun would probably use it so just as well I have not.

Baboonery

10-06-2008 11:17 AM

They're cowering at home, in shame at doing their 'non-jobs'.

Perryman

10-06-2008 03:42 PM

I hope you will use a silencer brian or you will be just adding to the problem.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields