SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Doorstep scam or fraud
robwinton

18-06-2008 12:10 PM

there is, I'm sure

you can ask the credit companies to set up a process whereby ANY credit check activity requires confirmation with you through the use of a password

ask whatever credit agency you are registered with about this - I can't recall what it is called, but I'm sure it exists

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blushingsnail

18-06-2008 12:58 PM

You can set up a 'Protective Registration' but you have to pay an annual fee (?14.20) - details here.

"When you request 'Protective Registration', a CIFAS warning flag will then be placed against your address marked Category '0' which indicates the individual has been recorded on the CIFAS database at their own request for their protection. CIFAS members when undertaking a search against your address will see "CIFAS-DO NOT REJECT-VALIDATION REQUIRED", whatever name they search for.

As a result of the entry CIFAS members will undertake additional verification checks to ascertain that the applicant is genuine and not a fraudster trying to commit identity theft. This may mean you personally experience delays while your credentials are fully checked out.
"

I can understand that someone who has experienced identity theft might be willing to pay an annual fee to protect themselves in future, but frankly, when you haven't been personally inconvenienced and are just trying to help prevent commercial companies from being victims of fraud, it's a bit of a cheek to expect you to pay to register.

JaneD

18-06-2008 01:23 PM

The CIFAS text is rather ambiguous, but I just rang them and they said that their credit checks only apply to individual names, not addresses.

CIFAS reckon there isn't much anyone can do to stop their address being used like this, but it doesn't matter because you aren't responsible for the debt and it won't affect your credit rating.

Think I will register anyway, and stay ahead of the next identity thief - I'm feeling rather pessimistic about it all, and don't always remember to shred my letters. Not to mention the trick with the blutacked stick through the letter box!

Gabriel

18-06-2008 01:45 PM

I have had a recent experience of some-one using my address to set up a bank account with Halifax The name looked so fictitious, it made me suspicious and that is why I opened the letter and alerted Halifax about it. I am not aware of anyone claiming that they would be receiving a parcel which should have been delivered elsewhere. Surely the Royal Mail and/or the couriers are wise to these scams and don't just hand over the parcels to some-one loitering outside your door? Don't they ask the person to let themselves into the house/flat first to prove that they at least have access?

JaneD

18-06-2008 02:33 PM

The two accounts opened in fictitious names at my address were also with the Halifax.

I'm sure that in theory, the postmen and courriers should hand parcels to someone in the property, but it sounds as if they don't always do this.

Maybe the Halifax account at your address is nothing to do with a mobile phone scam. I hope it works out OK for you.

dipsolala

21-06-2008 08:21 PM

wow! the information given on this thread is great. I do worry about identity fraud and am forever tearing up personal info into teensy teensy bits. I feel more secure that if it shoukd happen theresteps to take.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and apologies for not being able to contribute constructively on this matter
Dips

Honor Oaker

03-07-2008 12:44 PM

I thought it worth reporting here that we've recently had three chequebooks go 'missing' in the post. Two attempts were made to use cheques from one of the books, but fortunately our bank alerted us, the cheques were stopped and all the remaining cheques made void. In future, we'll collect chequebooks from a branch rather than having them posted to the house, which is safer but less convenient. We're also no longer have statements sent to us, which we don't really need as we can view then online. The fact that the three chequebooks were sent over a period of 2-3 weeks, and that I also ordered a book which was dispatched but didn't arrive, has raised my suspicions that employee of the Post Office might be involved.

ohyeahkitten

10-10-2008 09:47 AM

This week I received 2 pieces of post from 2 different mobile phone companies addressed to someone one else. My mailing address was used on both. I got suspicious when I received the second one so I opened them. The first was an outstanding bill for ?250. The second was thanking the person for opening a new contract. Is this some sort of scam? Can it some how affect me since my address was used? I'm new to the UK, so not entirely sure how this works.

admin
Administrator

10-10-2008 10:01 AM

ohyeahkitten, I've moved your post to this thread as it sounds related to others' experiences - in particular see post #15 by JaneD.

ohyeahkitten

10-10-2008 10:44 AM

Thanks admin. That helps. I rang the companies and one said that your address can get blacklisted if you don't report theses things. She also said there was a phone sent to my address (which I never received). Hopefully this is the end of it.

JaneD

10-10-2008 05:14 PM

Sounds like exactly the same thing that happened to me a few months ago.

In the end, I got 2 phone bills, 1 PC World invoice and 3 bank account statements addressed to non-existant people, all with different names, at my address. Then it just stopped. I reported each incident to the relevant company who assured me they would cancel the accounts and that there would be no repressions for me.

Kaz

22-01-2009 08:19 PM

Yesterday i opened a letter assuming it was for me. It was from HM Revenue & Customs, addressed to a person i don't know, with my street address, but with an incorrect postcode.

The letter stated that they have seized a parcel containing Tobacco products which was sent to my address. It then went on to say that a number of similar parcels have been despatched whereby the occupiers of the delivery addresses have not been expecting any parcels. I was told that a number of people based abroad (mainly Hong Kong) are collecting random addresses, and shipping parcels over containing tobacco. They are then waiting outside of these properties for the postman to deliver the goods. Customs are now being much more stringent in their checking and intercepting the parcels.

I was told that they will make a note on their file to say that i (the actual occupier) have nothing whatsoever to do with it, and once they've investigated further they'll fill me in.
So keep an eye out for random people loitering near your houses, because you never know. Customs may let one slip through and it could be your address next.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields