SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
A plan to save the Honor Oak pub?
Anotherjohn

03-10-2013 08:38 PM

It's lovely to see so many good people making such a big effort to try build a good and strong community around here - and I've got my fingers crossed for the success of this project.

However, I just don't get it being called the Honor Oak. As someone who grew up in Honor Oak I think this pub is a little to far out to bear that name. What's wrong with it reverting back to its former name, The St. Germains, if this thing gets off the ground? This would leave the name, The Honor Oak, to be rightfully reserved for any pub that opens in the old bank premises (I would just hate the pretentiousness of it being called The Old Bank - even though I accept the relevance).

Another thing that I can't get my head around is how under-used Honor Oak's real community pub is. The General Napier used to be the beating heart of Honor Oak but I went in there a couple of times in April and May this year and, inspite of the guv'nors best efforts, it was bearly alive. Okay, I admit it didn't have the ambience that many newcomers to the area would like, but I believe if enough people went in there and got chatting to the landlord he'd be receptive to any suggestions for changes and improvements.

Sorry to go on like this - I'll have to change my username to Victor Meldrew!

Find all posts by this user

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: A plan to save the Honor Oak pub? - Anotherjohn - 03-10-2013 08:38 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Flats plan revealed for green with unlawful fence in Honor Oak admin 6 7,235 19-04-2023 10:45 AM
Last Post: Sherwood