SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Cycle routes from HOP to Oxford Street/West End
Codrington Brill

19-09-2013 12:29 PM

Calling all cyclists

Does anyone know the best route to cycle the above journey. I would like to avoid Old Kent Road and exceptionally busy/dangerous roads but also don't want to go too indirect.

I was thinking Peckham Rye - Rye Lane - West along Peckham Road/A202 to The Oval - North along A23 to Waterloo - cross over Waterloo Bridge - then north through Covent Garden to Oxford Street.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

This post was last modified: 19-09-2013 12:31 PM by Codrington Brill.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
anita

19-09-2013 01:00 PM

I take this route to work: Peckham Rye – Rye Lane – Surrey Linear Canal Path (starts behind Peckham Library) - Burgess Park – Portland St/Brandon St – New Kent Road (only about 100m and on designated cycle path) – local streets behind E&C – Waterloo Rd – Waterloo Bridge – Covent Garden - British Library - Warren Street

Nice route; the only part with heavy traffic is around Waterloo

Bangorben

19-09-2013 01:35 PM

Here you go:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=2...1,0.134754

Google was being a bit glitchy but the link should hopefully work…

I used to do this route everyday when I worked in soho. It's by the far the best way there in my opinion (and I've tried lots of routes). It's not the fastest (but it's by no means indirect) but it is the most picturesque, interesting and safe.

It's essentially one green space after another for the first 5 miles – Camberwell New Cemetery, Peckham Rye, Surrey Canal Path, Burgess Park – much of it along paths or along cycle paths – and crucially it doesn't include Old Kent Road or Elephant and Castle roundabout.

Then when you get towards the Elephant and Castle area (half way) you get to see some lovely sights – Waterloo Bridge is stunning, then Covent Garden, past Leicester Square, through Chinatown over cobbles (lovely in January when the lanterns are out) and then bomb it down Wardour St through the heart of Soho – it's like a tour of London that you'd normally have to pay for.

The only slightly hairy bit is Waterloo IMAX roundabout (but that's all cycle path now) and Wardour Street (pedestrians everywhere)

I couldn't recommend the route enough. Enjoy.

ryananglem

19-09-2013 02:50 PM

@bangorben

Interesting route. I didn't know you could go through the cemetery that way. My stock route (through Nunhead) when I head in that direction is considerably different, so I'll do a bit of experimenting and see how it compares - if favorably I'll also post a map.

Also CS 05 Construction
is underway, so this might help in route planning as time goes by - although I saw a couple of blue squares painted on the road in Peckham the other day so I fear it will be as worthless as all the rest

Medley

19-09-2013 03:09 PM

That's pretty much my route, although beware that Camb N Cem shuts at night.

I use Portland, up the side of Walworth, rather than Walworth itself - which is OK but not great.

And why detour in B Park when you can just go all the way down the central spine?

Codrington Brill

19-09-2013 07:18 PM

Many thanks. Saves me a lot of work. Looking forward to it now.

Campervan Tim

20-09-2013 09:24 AM

My route would be almost identical to Anita's

TonyB

25-09-2013 03:06 PM

Anita, how long does that route take you in the morning? (And are you a slow/medium/fast cyclist?)

I haven't cycled to work since I moved to FH and really miss it and I also work on Warren Street

Thanks

Bangorben

25-09-2013 03:33 PM

I just revisited my map having read the comment that followed mine – and the route within the map wasn't quite right (I blame Google)

The amended route is here…

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=2...6,0.160332

Sorry about that.

Akhnaten

04-10-2013 07:06 AM

Try Cyclestreets. You can enter your postcode and your destination postcode and the site gives you the option of three routes: Fast, Balanced and Quiet. I always choose Quiet.

You can also get it as an iPhone and Android app for free (although you can give them a donation.

This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 07:08 AM by Akhnaten.

Medley

04-10-2013 09:27 AM

I'd also recommend the London Cycling Campaign planner:

http://routes.lcc.org.uk/journey/

kingkong

04-10-2013 10:48 AM

I'm a bit of fair weather cyclist because I ride a motorbike as well, but I cycle from HOP to Camden Town on average twice a week, and this is my route:

Stillness Road, Brockley Rise (past Stillness school), Courtrai, Buckthorne, left over railway footbridge, Brockley Way and on down the east side of Peckhm Rye, Rye Lane, Surrey Canal Path, Burgess Park, Portland St/Brandon St, New Kent Road (only about 100m and on designated cycle path), local streets behind E&C, Webber Street, Waterloo Rd, Waterloo Bridge, Covent Garden, Drury Lane, British Museum, Russell Square, Gordon Street, up the west side of Euston station, Hampstead road, and then back streets up to Parkway in Camden Town.

It takes me about 45 - 50 minutes depending on how I'm feeling, a bit longer on the way back.

I'd be happy to ride with anyone who is unfamiliar with the route. I do leave a bit later than usual though, around 915am.

Cheers,
KK

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields