SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Who pays to save pubs and shops?
Tim Lund

27-09-2013 01:18 PM

lacb wrote:

Quote:
The argument for keeping pubs open depends on there being enough professional landlords to run them satisfactorily

You could say exactly the same thing about shops

Indeed - and I do.

Quote:
I find a good number nationally do not even approach what I would call good customer service. I do not propose converting them to another use on that basis.

Why not, if there there are other, more viable uses for the space?

lacb wrote:
Pubs are no different in that regard but where they are different is that they have a key cultural value that is in danger of being lost when it is so easy to convert them to other uses - just because they have been badly run once.

Did you read my post on the STF:

Quote:
While people will always want to form communities, currently it's not so much pubs that they want, to the dismay of those to whom they have become a symbol of what they recognise by community. I suspect that my Granny and her community minded Manchester Guardian reading friends felt a similar dismay about the loss of places of worship - in her case the Meeting House.

What does not change is the temptation for established communities and planners to impose their idea of what the community needs. Communities will often require buildings, but let planners limit themselves to making sure that buildings, and their uses can be flexible, with appropriate policies concerning both the architecture and planning use classes.

lacb wrote:
Note that this is very often more to do with the pub management than the landlord per se - consider how small the margins in tied pubs are. I believe that this last point is most germane with regards to the Honor Oak.

I guess this is an argument that the Pubcos ask for too much, in actual rent plus the 'economic' rent extracted from being a tied house. But Pubcos are not unusual in wanting the best return on their investment, so I don't see this as a fair criticism, unless you want to overthrow the entire capitalist system Smile

Which leads on to

dunc_30 wrote:
isn't the 'have a go' mindset part of the entrepreneurial spirit we should respect to an extent? Experience is important but it isn't critical.

Yes, but how do you draw the distinction between the entrepreneurial spirit of would be have-a-go landlords and the managers of Pubcos? Given that many ordinary people have their pensions invested in Punch Taverns, discriminating against it will have a public cost.

This post was last modified: 27-09-2013 01:25 PM by Tim Lund.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Ex Honor Oak Pub - dunc_30 - 27-09-2013, 10:15 AM
RE: Ex Honor Oak Pub - Cheeky - 27-09-2013, 10:58 AM
RE: Ex Honor Oak Pub - Bcm - 27-09-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: Ex Honor Oak Pub - daveherne - 27-09-2013, 11:25 AM
RE: Ex Honor Oak Pub - Cheeky - 27-09-2013, 11:38 AM
RE: Ex Honor Oak Pub - Tim Lund - 27-09-2013, 11:51 AM
RE: Ex Honor Oak Pub - dunc_30 - 27-09-2013, 12:11 PM
RE: Ex Honor Oak Pub - lacb - 27-09-2013, 12:25 PM
RE: Ex Honor Oak Pub - Tim Lund - 27-09-2013 01:18 PM