SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol.
Cellar Door

25-09-2013 05:21 PM

rhsdunlop wrote:
What this thread is lacking is photos. C'mon, cellardoor, put your camera where your mouth is.

Absolutely agreed.

In my OP, I wrote:

I love technology but I don't have a working camera to take a photo for you. (Maybe some kind soul in SE23 land and beyond could do this and post on here?)

I'm not a technophobe. I built my first computer in 1975/76 from bits and bobs that I scrounged together through Tandy Electonic/Radioshack and Dick Smith Electronics (US and Oz equivalents of Maplins) in Western Australia.

I had the monochrome Nintendo Parachute game in my hands in 1981 when I lined up in Akihabara in Toyko to be one of the first.

Picture of my very old Nintendo Parachute.

And the list includes having begged/nagged/harassed my cash-strapped folks for an Apple Macintosh for Uni back in 1985. And getting one. I was the most solidly supercool geek back at Curtin University.

Now after almost 30 years of working in the wonderful world of I.T., I've started to go the other way. I jump on the interweb, now that I've entered into something like retirement/semi-retirement last month, a couple of times a day in the FH library to use this great website and the BBC Weather Centre and my favourite of all time The Cloud Appreciation Society.

Until recently I still had my original Nokia 3210 from 1999. It was held together with sticky-back plastic. To turn it on I had to stick in a metal nail file because the button had long gone. I'd dropped it on so many occasions and bits would fly out of it. But to my amazement it still kept on going. I got some new fangled Nokia thing last December but I only turn it on once a week.

I feel really liberated not being in the vice-grip of technology that I was. But I still read avidly in, for example The Economist's Technology Quarterly, what is shaking in my world and directions for the future.

But hands on. No.

I'm mostly hands off.

But I still love technology with a passion.

Oh, I've just realised that I've used this post as some kind of defacto therapy session. (I think my therapist would review my mutterings on here as that anyway!)

Thank you rhsdunlop! The cheque is in the post.

Maybe we could meet to take some pics if you have a camera? The morning is best because the sunlight pours through the eastern three windows and highlights the western side where the BIG web construct resides.

They do a lovely breakfast and superb Lavazza coffee. Opens at 8am. There is hardly anyone in there and I might even have the courage to pull out my telescope!

I'm off there soonish to meet with some mates. So, I strongly suspect that tomorrow at 8am might not happen for me! But I'll be able to give you my eyewitness report sometime when I've regained consciousness.

Or Snazy! You have taken some beautiful pics. I LOVE that little green hopper. I want one!

Maybe we could meet to grab a coffee and pics of the Forest Hill Superweb?

This post was last modified: 25-09-2013 05:22 PM by Cellar Door.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol. - Les - 24-09-2013, 06:17 PM
RE: Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol. - Snazy - 25-09-2013, 03:51 PM
RE: Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol. - Cellar Door - 25-09-2013 05:21 PM
RE: Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol. - Red67 - 26-09-2013, 02:18 PM
RE: Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol. - lacb - 26-09-2013, 02:48 PM