SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Farmers' market in the Horniman Gardens
Campervan Tim

19-11-2013 03:41 PM

I agree with John that we need to entice people from the Horniman end of FH down towards Dartmouth Road, especially the outside visitors and those who are relatively new to the area and may not yet know what gems are there. The Totally Locally stall at the market is a great idea.

I don't think the market is to blame for the downturn solely - I believe it has had some degree of impact. As have a number of other factors as I have posted elsewhere (John - thank you for your post on the other thread as I think we were talking at cross purposes and I do appreciate your follow up comment) but a reasonable part of it is also as John posted - just one of those things that happen in retail.

I don't use the market because I work most Saturdays but I use the Butchery and other fresh meat / veg / fish places that I encounter through my job and am sure I'd use it if I was free to do so. But I'd walk to it rather than drive.

Dartmouth Road is very tricky for a traffic issue at the moment and parking can a problem, but then so it is around Horniman Drive etc every weekend because of the sheer numbers of visitors but there are several car parks near the centre of FH. And I always wonder why should that should deter people from going anyway. I live at the far end of Dartmouth Road - almost in Sydenham - but I almost always walk to the Horniman, because it's not that far, parking is a nightmare, its healthier, its greener and given traffic, almost as quick. I have a child and we've done that since he was in a buggy.

For those looking for the child friendly option, there are places with wonderful playrooms like the Montage but tbh, those things are not needed for a place to be child friendly. We take our son to the Montage, to the Dartmouth Arms and Sylvan Post and to St Davids as well as using many of the shops. I would consider all these to be child friendly in that they allow children. Kids don't need to have a playroom to be welcomed. Many of these places have books / games for the kids to sit and use.

Forest Hill is a wonderful place and, having lived here for 10 years I love it. It would be amazing to have a few more nice shops replacing the empty, shuttered ones. Lets all use Dartmouth Road, London Road etc more and when we do so then more wonderful entrepreneurs like Pauline, like Stag & Bow, like St Davids and like Aga will see the potential. I'd love it to be full of more brilliant places like the ones that we have.

Soon, things will settle down and all those involved wil lwork the way through it.

Then we just need to solve the traffic light issue don't we John ;-)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Farmers' market in the Horniman Gardens - Campervan Tim - 19-11-2013 03:41 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Car Crashed through fence in Horniman gardens nottinghillbilly 2 2,177 19-04-2023 05:55 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Horniman Gardens on BBC Gardeners' World StuartG 0 2,476 07-08-2022 12:28 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  The Original Jerk Cookout @ The Horniman Gardens 31st July 2021 samuelsen 0 2,777 17-06-2021 06:05 PM
  Feedback on the Horniman ideas for the future of the Museum and Gardens HornimanMuseum 12 9,762 30-07-2019 03:42 PM
  Carols tomorrow at the Farmers' Market isaglanzer 0 2,936 20-12-2013 11:17 AM
Last Post: isaglanzer
  Horniman Gardens works roz 32 36,159 06-08-2013 01:43 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman Xmas concert and market etc roz 1 4,398 20-11-2011 06:04 PM
Last Post: roz
  Horniman Museum and Gardens vipes 293 271,330 07-10-2010 11:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Should the Jerk Cookout be at Horniman Gardens? admin 4 8,764 17-08-2009 01:21 PM
Last Post: roz
  Picnic in Horniman Gardens - Sunday, June 7th michael 6 11,583 07-06-2009 05:00 PM
Last Post: robwinton