SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Farmers' market in the Horniman Gardens
bluesuperted

06-11-2013 09:31 PM

I agree with a lot of slondon's post. I've only lived in FH for 7 months (although v nearby since 2008) and while I have visited the lovely Dartmouth Rd shops plus the fab coffee shops near the station - and love them - it is next to impossible for me, as a carless, stay-at-home mum, to drag my two kids around those shops for any length of time during the week or weekend - my toddler would want to eat/handle everything/get bored and my mobile baby is starting to go the same way! So while, if I ever get a childfree minute I'd love to meander around (and I do do this, it's just REALLY rare!! And I always heartily recommend the centre and its environs to all my friends without kids plus my friends with just one v young baby) for us as a family the Horniman market has been a godsend and a way of actually getting to sample the shopping delights of the area WITH the kids in tow. We can look at produce, buy lunch and chat to sellers at the market whilst keeping one eye on toddler in sensory garden or clambering over low walls etc. It's much better *for families* than the wonderful Brockley market and also has the attraction of providing a guilt-free family morning out for the whole gang - going to the Horniman is always exciting for a 3yo, eating out and shopping in gift, art, clothes shops not so much and he is wise to that already!

I can't be sure but I would say most people attending the market have young families in tow too so we are likely highly representative, and probably more likely to repeat a market-museum-walk combination each weekend than couples or singletons who probably have more exciting lives and mix it up a bit more! Like previous posters, for us we are diverting cash, for definite, from Ocado and Sainsburys Sydenham, plus avoiding the need to sign up for Abel and Cole or similar, possibly Brockley but we only went there every couple of months anyway. Also the pricing issue is important - buying our veg, bread, light lunch and enjoying the process is lovely but not too costly, going into the shops on Lordship Lane or Dartmouth Rd is likely to be a more tempting and expensive affair and not one many young families can dally with too often, so the demographics of the regulars at the market probably reflects this too *wistfully laments having a salary and frittering away £20 on a nice top, sometime circa 2009*.

Anyway, this thread HAS made me think, and if the elusive moment arrives where baby is asleep in the sling and 3yo at nursery, I will try to head to Dartmouth Rd to start my Christmas shopping. I wish all traders and the market heaps of success and think the way the wonderful area of FH is going, there must be room in this town for the lot of you!!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Farmers' market in the Horniman Gardens - bluesuperted - 06-11-2013 09:31 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Car Crashed through fence in Horniman gardens nottinghillbilly 2 2,148 19-04-2023 05:55 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Horniman Gardens on BBC Gardeners' World StuartG 0 2,461 07-08-2022 12:28 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  The Original Jerk Cookout @ The Horniman Gardens 31st July 2021 samuelsen 0 2,745 17-06-2021 06:05 PM
  Feedback on the Horniman ideas for the future of the Museum and Gardens HornimanMuseum 12 9,691 30-07-2019 03:42 PM
  Carols tomorrow at the Farmers' Market isaglanzer 0 2,922 20-12-2013 11:17 AM
Last Post: isaglanzer
  Horniman Gardens works roz 32 36,027 06-08-2013 01:43 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman Xmas concert and market etc roz 1 4,379 20-11-2011 06:04 PM
Last Post: roz
  Horniman Museum and Gardens vipes 293 270,018 07-10-2010 11:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Should the Jerk Cookout be at Horniman Gardens? admin 4 8,705 17-08-2009 01:21 PM
Last Post: roz
  Picnic in Horniman Gardens - Sunday, June 7th michael 6 11,527 07-06-2009 05:00 PM
Last Post: robwinton