SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (11): « First < Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Next > Last »
Farmers' market in the Horniman Gardens
michael

18-11-2013 04:49 PM

Nottinghillbilly wrote:
Lets all work as one to make Forest Hill an even better place to live.

you could be quoting from the tagline for the Forest Hill Society - Making Forest Hill an even better place to live.
AGM is in a few weeks time if you would like to work as one of the executiveSmile (if you are not already)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Anotherjohn

18-11-2013 06:40 PM

Passions have bee running high - I agree - and our lovely little dynamo, P1971, took up the fight for a few other traders and I'm sure she won't be angry with me for saying that she got a bit carried away for their cause.

I don't think there's any animosity towards the Farmers Market from any of the local traders, on the contrary, and the consensus now seems to be overwhelmingly to embrace it not only for what it is but for the opportunities its success can bring to the wider town.

So now that the market ROCKS, let's see if we can get London Road, Dartmouth Road & Perry Vale ROCKIN' too! Especially as there are lot's of people who are prepared to put in the effort to make that happen!!

(I left David's Road out cos that already ROCKS!!!)

SpringCat

18-11-2013 06:42 PM

I always shop for my groceries at farmers markets and find them excellents. I normally go to Blackheath, Brockley and recently the Horniman, which is so convenient and close to home. I find the products to be of high quality, fresh and good priced. They last longer than the ones bought locally and in supermarkets. They are not sprayed with chemicals/pesticides and are produced organically in UK.

I hope the market will continue after December as it is attracting many visitors to Forest Hill. I hope more stalls of farmers products are coming to compete in the future. If you go to France, Spain, Germany, Italy and other towns in Europe, they all have farmers markets. Arent we lucky to have finally one?

I don't visit Dartmouth Road, except occasionally. I find it depressing, with just pubs, charity shops or shops with no wow factor, whatsoever. If traders made it better, interesting and inviting, I would shop in the area, instead of going to Bromley or somewhere else.
The market is certainly more lively, competition in the trade is always good. I hope it stays that way to revive Forest Hill.

FFS

18-11-2013 07:39 PM

I really don't like it however when posters get personal and send out messages about effectively boycotting one of the Dartmouth road shops because the proprietor expressed an opinion that the market may be affecting the foot flow in the town centre.

Seem to me that some people are applauded for being 'passionate' and accusatory and others expressing opinions are not.
Oh well. Moving on

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f****** what."
Love that ^^^

OakR

18-11-2013 07:57 PM

rshdunlop - thanks for pointing out The Montage - I did not know about that.

This thread is getting a bit OTT.

P1971 whether you believe people have signed up or not simply to defend the market you're not helping yourself - probably best to concentrate on the positives of Dartmouth Road, what you can learn from the Market and just take other feedback onboard, or ignore it as appropriate. I can well imagine it is a stressful time when foot traffic lessons - I think you can see from most posters that they simply want both the Market and DR to do well, as that is win win for everyone.

Personally I have not shopped down Dartmouth Road and I don't really know what's on it (other than the pubs...). I live much closer to HOP and only really venture to FH for the Horniman museum and the pools. I wonder if all the traders could cobble together a website of some sort to highlight all the shops there \ around FR and \ or have some form of signage near the station to promote it.

Good luck with your business.

P1971

18-11-2013 08:26 PM

Anotherjohn offcourse I'm not annoyed with you for speaking your mind on this forum. I think the more that say how they feel the better. I just want FH to be as good as it can possibly be for all in the area. Maybe that's too much to ask for but I don't think so x to all

Anotherjohn

18-11-2013 08:27 PM

OakR - there a a few quite well-run and interesting shops, bars and coffee bars on Dartmouth Road and, to be perfectly honest, there are many more not-so-interesting shops etc. There is, however, the pools/gym, a beautiful library and an exciting arts centre is coming soon but it's fair to say that the road is in transition and I believe this debate, which is highlighting both the good and the bad features of the road, is focussing the attentions of the shopkeepers, landlords, the traders association, FHSoc and the local community and I'm sure this will bring about the changes that the road, as a whole, needs in order to really thrive again. In the interim though I think your idea of a Totally Locally website is a good one.

When I was a teenager Dartmouth Road had a butcher, baker, greengrocers, wet fish shop, shoe shops, clothes shops, gift shop, record shop, school outfitters, launderette as well as, over the years, a lively tapas bar, a cocktail bar and more. One day Thomas...

P1971

18-11-2013 08:42 PM

Ahem I will argue with you Mr If I have to wait longer than you for the best bacon sarnie in FH from St Davids!

rshdunlop

18-11-2013 08:48 PM

A VERY important bit of information has just been revealed in recent posts, which is that some people have no idea about all the new shops and eateries on Dartmouth Road. So it's doubly important to get information out there. A Totally-Local website, and a dedicated section of it for Dartmouth Road is essential, as is advertising near the station and the Horniman.

Moonlight

18-11-2013 08:49 PM

I have been to the farmers' market twice so far and I am thrilled that this will be a weekly event as the quality of the vegetables on offer are a lot better than what you can get at sainsbury and i think they are priced competitively as well.

However, I do agree that it is important to support the local shops and I make a point to buy locally as much as I can and to walk along Dartmouth road during the weekend.

Our high street has definitely improved a lot from 3 years ago when I first moved here and I will continue to support all the local shops as well as farmers' market. I would like the local shop owners to rest assure that we have not abandon them.

Thumbsup

OakR

18-11-2013 09:03 PM

Hi Another John

Thanks for your reply.

We tend to do most of our shopping on HOP high street, occasionally Peter James butchers, then onto Sainsbury's Sydenham and \ or Lewisham or Bromley.

Something like the farmer's market is more likely to draw me in as someone with a young child, and some child friendly like montage mentioned above where we could stop off would be great. We moved to the area back in 2005 and we not overwhelmed by Dartmouth road for shopping then but this thread will mean we give it another chance - and I think that is the point, it really needs some more local promotion. It may not still be ideal for my needs, but hopefully will attract more people which will lead to bigger and greater things.

P1971

18-11-2013 09:33 PM

FFS I have chosen to ignore your negative posts, and will only reply to positive posts from others, but hope you have a great week anyway. Have a good one P x

FFS

18-11-2013 10:02 PM

My first ever post.
I really love the Hornimans Farmers/Food Market. Well Done Lee and Emma! I have to be honest and admit to not ever shopping along Dartmouth Rd, so only Sainsburys has lost my custom. The other people that I know that now go regularly to the market are the same. I am sorry that the small shops are losing out but maybe coming up with a positive plan rather than all the negativity might do you more good?...Not much more to say really except blooming good job Lee and Emma!

Your reply.
FFS this is your first post on this forum, makes me wonder!
Wow, quite an aggresive first post I think from FFS on first name terms with Emma and Lee from the market. No more posts from me tonight after that.

So your ignoring my "negative" posts won't hurt too much.

P1971

18-11-2013 10:37 PM

OK so you are reallly pushing me to comment on how I feel about you. I don't feel anything for you and I won't as you only care about yourself and not the community, but good luck with all you do. I wish you the best. Px

nottinghillbilly

18-11-2013 10:41 PM

FFS:
This is all getting a bit childish and personal.

Can we just all agree that the market is a great asset to the area, And that it appears some work is needed to highlight and promote our local high street and its independent traders.
Hopefully by doing so we will encourage other shops to open and therefore make Dartmouth road a local destination to rival the likes of Lordship Lane.

P1971

18-11-2013 11:04 PM

I agree with you totally Notinghillbilly, but there are a couple of empty shops on D Rd. What would you all like to see?

P1971

18-11-2013 11:22 PM

Springcat I have spent almost 20k on my shop fit to make my shop look amazing. I hope locals realise I have and hope all take a trip down memory lane and get a bit nostalgic when they pop in. P x

P1971

18-11-2013 11:37 PM

I hope all are aware that i never edit my posts, I say what I feel when I feel it, and I really hope I can get my December event up and running asap Fingers crossed. C'mon FH we can do it!

nottinghillbilly

19-11-2013 12:03 AM

RE; The empty shops on Dartmouth Road,
I personally would LOVE to see an organic fruit and veg shop OR a fishmonger.
I know people will say we have fishmongers in the form of Billings and Moxons but they are still a bit of a trek.

A nice healthy inexpensive restaurant with BYOB open in the evening would be lovely too.

But if we had a fishmonger and fruit and veg shop I'd rarely need to shop for food outside the area.

P1971

19-11-2013 12:28 AM

The general comments on twitter when this was asked were what you have said, but to make this work for a shop paying rent and business rates, this might work. Greengrocer/fishmonger by day (sharing costs)and maybe a a seafood restaurant/winebar in the evening. It might work. I'd be happy to look at taking on the evening senario.

Pages (11): « First < Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Car Crashed through fence in Horniman gardens nottinghillbilly 2 2,072 19-04-2023 04:55 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Horniman Gardens on BBC Gardeners' World StuartG 0 2,389 07-08-2022 11:28 AM
Last Post: StuartG
  The Original Jerk Cookout @ The Horniman Gardens 31st July 2021 samuelsen 0 2,698 17-06-2021 05:05 PM
  Feedback on the Horniman ideas for the future of the Museum and Gardens HornimanMuseum 12 9,481 30-07-2019 02:42 PM
  Carols tomorrow at the Farmers' Market isaglanzer 0 2,877 20-12-2013 10:17 AM
Last Post: isaglanzer
  Horniman Gardens works roz 32 35,415 06-08-2013 12:43 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman Xmas concert and market etc roz 1 4,321 20-11-2011 05:04 PM
Last Post: roz
  Horniman Museum and Gardens vipes 293 267,174 07-10-2010 10:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Should the Jerk Cookout be at Horniman Gardens? admin 4 8,628 17-08-2009 12:21 PM
Last Post: roz
  Picnic in Horniman Gardens - Sunday, June 7th michael 6 11,396 07-06-2009 04:00 PM
Last Post: robwinton