SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (11): « First < Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Next > Last »
Farmers' market in the Horniman Gardens
lacb

18-11-2013 11:52 AM

Ok, went to the market for the first time on Saturday. Have to say, it is excellent and well organised, and worth going to for the veg stall alone. There is nowhere else in Forest Hill or Honor Oak that has that range and quality of veg. Sainsburys have lost some business from us and it has not effected our occasional visits to Dartmouth Road.

It is also, a wonderful setting and very handy we could let our 6 year old run around while we got on with the shopping.

However, in all the other places I can think of long-term successful markets, these are in a commercial area and act as an attractor for the shops, and vice versa. In this sense, it is in the wrong place! For those businesses concerned about this, why not set up your own market? Touché.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
P1971

18-11-2013 12:29 PM

slondon if you are referring to me where on this thread or any other thread I have posted on have I said

only "local" people should be allowed to trade locally

As I don't ever recall saying that, and that is your exact words!

If only local people traded locally half the shop's in FH would not be here.

Tenbybelle

18-11-2013 12:42 PM

SLondon - In case of any confusion I am not suggesting that only "local" people should be allowed to trade in SE23. The market promotes itself as locally sourced ie

"A locally sourced, locally sold farmers' market selling vegetables, meat, fish, bread, flowers, hot food and much more in our glorious Gardens."

P1971

18-11-2013 01:13 PM

lacb I and others are trying to work out way's to set up another market to get the footflow moving around FH, but it won't happen overnight and it probably won't be food based as this is now covered at The Horniman and locals seem to like the location being The Horniman garden's, and as I have said previously I want the market to thrive aswell as the local shop's.
However myself along with a lot of help from local landlord/s, local resident's and organisation's are trying to get something up and running for the month of December for the local kid's in the community if possible!
I'll keep all posted if it goes ahead.

Beavis

18-11-2013 01:34 PM

The market is great. The best reaction for local shopkeepers suffering a lack of footfall on this one morning a week is surely to learn from it, raise your game, copy its best bits and stop trying to use "community spirit" as an excuse to politic against the opposition. If the Horniman market gets shut down as a form of protectionism towards some shops half a km away i for one will shop somewhere else on a matter of principle.

FFS

18-11-2013 01:55 PM

I live in Forest Hill, walk around FH, shop in FH and have many friends who live in FH. We all agree that the Horniman market rocks! I don't care if the veg is from Lincoln..call me irresponsible but I really don't. They are fresh, good value for money and delicious. The feelings of some the shop keepers on D Road are verging on the obsessional..IN MY OPINION.. we (the shopping public) will vote with our feet. I don't want sweets, my kids are grown and I only eat chocolate. Raw chocolate that I make myself usually… but good organic chocolate will do SmileI am now really put off with some of the attitudes of the shop keepers and will keep voting with my feet, my purse and my irresponsible attitude! Seriously I think that people are being put off from shopping along D Road I know I have been. The Market runs for what FIVE hours or so only. Once a week. You are not doing yourselves any favours.

P1971

18-11-2013 01:57 PM

Beavis just to make you aware that what I am trying to get up and running with other's help which I have asked for for the local kid's is completely non profitable to me or anyone else that is helping me.

P1971

18-11-2013 02:25 PM

FFS you are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else is, but as I have said before I do wonder about some comments made by people that have just recently joined the forum.
I do care about FH as a whole wholeheartedly even if a few don't believe me, and again as I have said before I want the market to thrive aswell as the shops.

FFS

18-11-2013 02:47 PM

P1971 what is it exactly that you wonder about hmm? As you have indeed said it before and about me I am really interested in just what it is that you are wondering about.

This post was last modified: 18-11-2013 02:48 PM by FFS.

slondon

18-11-2013 02:53 PM

Couldn't agree more FFS. I for one, as I said in my initial post, have long followed the Forum but this issue sufficiently moved me to post given what I personally felt was the unreasonable nature in my opinion of a couple of posts. Perhaps this applies to others who have got involved for the first time. I love the area and am all for having as wide a range as possible of things to do and places to go. I also understand the importance of sticking up for your own business and it's lovely FH has a nice sweet shop - but perhaps there's a way to do this without leaving such a bitter taste.

P1971

18-11-2013 03:11 PM

FFS I wonder if some care just about the market or FH as a whole. As I have probably said I want the area as a whole to thrive including the market, but not just the market, and I don't see why just my post's should put you off visiting other shop's on D Rd when they haven't posted on here, although I do get it that you don't want to visit my shop.
I will also add that The Horniman Market allowed traders to have a Totally Locally FH campervan last Saturday which I have thanked The Horniman for on this thread, and lastly just to let all know last Saturday my trade was back to normal, and I really hope it was the same for all other trader's, and some of this may be due to the fact that there was a Totally Locally FH Campervan at the market. so working together seems to be working and again I will thank The Horniman for allowing this.

michael

18-11-2013 03:26 PM

p1971 wrote:
let all know last Saturday my trade was back to normal,

That's great news and takes us a step closer to proving that the farmers market can attract people to all of Forest Hill, and that it does not need to be a threat to high street businesses. There were similar complaints when the Forest Hill Society first set up the Food Fair at the station, but as things settled down most shops realised it was of benefit to the whole high street.

I've also heard about P1971's plans for December and it sounds great, it might even attract parents and children to Dartmouth Road (which really isn't completely impossible to visit with a child or two).

Tenbybelle

18-11-2013 03:54 PM

Blimey - expecting me to be able control my kids outside the confines of a park. You will be suggesting I get them to use a knide and fork next - what is the world coming to? Laugh

rshdunlop

18-11-2013 03:56 PM

People who say they can't visit D Road with their kids perhaps don't know about the play-room in The Montage.

lacb

18-11-2013 04:05 PM

Totally agreed rshdunlop!

Does also open the possibility that recent trading conditions in Dartmouth Road have not been the result of the market?

rshdunlop

18-11-2013 04:09 PM

Exactly the point I was trying to make above, lacb. Sometimes things that seemed connected are really just co-incidence, nothing more. No one has explained to me how a food market on a Saturday morning adversely affects trade on D Road.

Nonetheless, if this has prompted local traders to think about ways to increase their profile and footfall, then that is a good thing. And the only sensible reaction to a downturn in their trade, whatever the cause.

Tenbybelle

18-11-2013 04:12 PM

Personally I never really shopped in Dartmouth Road much but seeing how some of the businesses have had such a bashing on the forum have made an effort each week to pop down and support them....even with two feral boys and an aged cocker spaniel in tow.

FFS

18-11-2013 04:29 PM

"some of the businesses have had such a bashing on the forum have made an effort each week to pop down and support them…"

Ive been called aggressive and a liar on this forum..but hey its OK I'm fine..don't need your support.. or anything..Smile Seriously though where? Where is the local shop bashing on here?

Interesting perspective, I see the market being bashed on here..
Seems to me though with footfall back to normal and the extra awareness raised by the shopkeepers on here of their plight, it should all come out smelling of roses.

Hillstop

18-11-2013 04:36 PM

I think that's quite unfair Tenbybelle. Who has been bashing the local shops?

The only negative feedback have been about some of the comments made on this thread, some of which, IMO did hit the wrong notes on occasion. But I know passions have been running high and people have been stressed.

Pretty much everyone posting has said how much they value the shops on Dartmouth Road and they're really enjoying the Horniman's new farmer's market.

nottinghillbilly

18-11-2013 04:42 PM

I'm just commenting in support of an earlier poster who says they are not
bothered if their veg comes from Lincolnshire I feel the same way-
As long as its tasty, fairly priced and good quality I'm happy.
Also at least no air miles were involved.
Perhaps in the longer term we may see more more fruit and veg traders from Kent but in the meantime I'm delighted that the market is there and hope it grows, especially if they continue to support our local traders.
I really don't like it however when posters get personal and send out messages about effectively boycotting one of the Dartmouth road shops because the proprietor expressed an opinion that the market may be affecting the foot flow in the town centre.
There are scary times for small businesses and they need and deserve all the support we can give them.
Our household is two adults no kids but we still pop into the sweetshop now and again for ice-cream or other guilty pleasures on offer.
Lets all work as one to make Forest Hill an even better place to live.

Pages (11): « First < Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Car Crashed through fence in Horniman gardens nottinghillbilly 2 2,070 19-04-2023 04:55 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Horniman Gardens on BBC Gardeners' World StuartG 0 2,385 07-08-2022 11:28 AM
Last Post: StuartG
  The Original Jerk Cookout @ The Horniman Gardens 31st July 2021 samuelsen 0 2,698 17-06-2021 05:05 PM
  Feedback on the Horniman ideas for the future of the Museum and Gardens HornimanMuseum 12 9,462 30-07-2019 02:42 PM
  Carols tomorrow at the Farmers' Market isaglanzer 0 2,876 20-12-2013 10:17 AM
Last Post: isaglanzer
  Horniman Gardens works roz 32 35,398 06-08-2013 12:43 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman Xmas concert and market etc roz 1 4,321 20-11-2011 05:04 PM
Last Post: roz
  Horniman Museum and Gardens vipes 293 267,135 07-10-2010 10:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Should the Jerk Cookout be at Horniman Gardens? admin 4 8,625 17-08-2009 12:21 PM
Last Post: roz
  Picnic in Horniman Gardens - Sunday, June 7th michael 6 11,392 07-06-2009 04:00 PM
Last Post: robwinton