SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (11): « First < Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Next > Last »
Farmers' market in the Horniman Gardens
Deano

13-11-2013 11:20 PM

I loved the farmers market when I went on Saturday and think it's a great addition to Forest Hill, however I do feel very sorry for those who have taken on a permanent unit and pay rent and business rates 365 days a year and then a market competes on their busiest day - with far fewer overheads.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
P1971

14-11-2013 12:33 AM

Thanks for your post Deano. I want everything to work for everyone, and like AnotherJohn said previously I too feel so torn by this thread and have never felt so passionate about where I live and trade in my whole life. I love FH and care about all that live here no matter what the background is. Sure we can work everything out!

Belle

14-11-2013 04:06 PM

The Horniman must be commended for promoting the local high street for free, especially when their own coffers are likely depleted due to government cuts in funding. And I think it's a genius idea that Campervantastic and Totally Locally are coming together - it's such an eye catching marketing idea (and a win win situation for both parties). That's what I love about Forest Hill, the community spirit! So proud of our little enclave of SE London.

michael

15-11-2013 03:06 PM

Have a look at http://www.horniman.ac.uk/visit/events/h...ers-market
In the details about the Horniman Farmers market they have included the Totally Locally Forest Hill logo and the message:

Quote:
Forest Hill has some fantastic independent shops – when you are next visiting the Horniman take a walk down the hill and explore!

It is really positive to see this type of message from the Horniman.

nottinghillbilly

16-11-2013 01:08 AM

agreed!ThumbsupThumbsup

Chris88

17-11-2013 11:55 AM

Enjoyed the market. Seems to be a very well organised operation and the quality of the shops was really good. It seems as though the organisers really did some research on the vendors.

I think overall, for the whole community, it will only encourage more people out of their homes who wouldn't otherwise and just increase the profile of Forest Hill further.

Anotherjohn

17-11-2013 12:21 PM

Yes, Chris88, I couldn't agree more.

I hope this great little market proves to be a permanent feature because I believe that its success will, in time, bring more people down into all parts of the town centre and this additional footfall will encourage new businesses to come on board to take up the slack and fill the empty shops with stuff to complement many of the new and existing shops, coffee bars and services who, I'm sure, will only benefit from this type of bolstering.

I also would like to add my thanks to The Horniman and to the organisers of the Farmers Market for responding to Forest Hill's existing business community and for offering their support in the form of free promotional space.

This post was last modified: 17-11-2013 12:23 PM by Anotherjohn.

nottinghillbilly

17-11-2013 04:03 PM

We went yesterday, and there seemed to be less stalls than usual...
As I've previously stated we love the market but it badly needs a good fruit stall, AND a fishmonger.

Tenbybelle

17-11-2013 07:26 PM

Fan of the market and local shops. However I thought the idea was to support local businesses. I loved the grocers - great selection and price but they are from Lincolnshire - is that really locally sold and sourced?

Happy for exceptions to be made but maybe such discretions should also be exercised in favour of the local businesses - which really are just that - local.

P1971

18-11-2013 12:19 AM

I totally agree with your comments. I think all money that seems to be spent locally should stay in the local cummunity if possible which will makes FH a better place for all that live, shop and trade in the area a good thing in the long run. When FH money goes to Lincolnshire, Cambridge, Sussex etc It won't come back to FH. Sure more local traders might be interested if they are allowed to set up stalls. Anyone?

isaglanzer

18-11-2013 12:34 AM

It's true fruit and veg from a bit nearer e.g. Kent or Surrey would be nice, but don't let's forget that there aren't really any farmers in SE23 unless the One Tree Hill allotments happen to have a remarkably productive year! I'm sure the market will develop over coming weeks and months anyway.

I chatted to a couple of local stallholders yesterday, and was a bit disconcerted by how much they seemed to be aware of and worried about the concerns about the market expressed on this forum. I hope that they also realise how much support it has. I live in the area on the hill behind the Horniman - so we are very close indeed to the market and not nearly as close to Dartmouth Rd and central Forest Hill. Local history and legal restrictions mean that there is quite a large area with no shops, cafes, pubs etc. - my experience is that in that area at least, the market is hugely welcomed, both as somewhere very local where we can shop and as a sort of community hub. I met and chatted to four lots of near neighbours from the hill within 30 minutes yesterday - there is really nowhere else where this would happen on a weekly basis, at least for our area. I do hope the market organisers and stallholders realise how very popular the market is in the area nearby, despite the doubts and debates expressed on this forum.

P1971

18-11-2013 12:46 AM

Check this out. and all for free. http://seplentyfree.blogspot.co.uk/ Lynn is a customer of mine and many others in FH and is doing this all on her own with a little help from others, She is amazing!

P1971

18-11-2013 12:58 AM

That's what I think is local!

Hillstop

18-11-2013 07:54 AM

Agree with Isaglazer. We also live behind the Museum and it is great to run into neighbours on a Saturday morning for a chat.

I'm really pleased that the market is continuing beyond December, not least because it means less trips walking up the hills with bags of shopping.

I don't have an issue with the farmers being from Lincolnshire given the difficulty of growing a wide range of vegetables for sale within the local area. It would be great to see even more local businesses setting up stalls at the market but I figure that will come with time.

We're still shopping on Dartmouth Road. It wasn't part of our normal food shopping routine so nothing has changed there. We do go for treats, lunch, coffee, cards, etc.

Tenbybelle

18-11-2013 10:07 AM

I can fully understand why some of the stall holders are voicing concerns as it has divided the locals and I can only think their concerns will increase if the talk of setting up another farmers market/food market in Blythe hill or just by Honor Oak station takes off.

Hopefully if that one goes get off the ground it will learn some lessons from the Horniman experience and engage a little closer with the local food businesses to avoid the bad feeling.

In any event given the mix of stuff at the horniman market I can't really see why the organisers of that market can't simply allow the local food retailers a stall at the market and then there can be no concerns. I am sure in return they may be able to provide useful advertising for the market around Forest Hill.

If the market is bringing additional footfall to the area why should it not benefit the area - residents and retailers alike?

isaglanzer

18-11-2013 10:39 AM

While I can see where local shopkeepers are coming from on this and think their concerns have some validity, I do question whether the opinion of the local population is really very divided. I can't say I've spoken to anyone who isn't pleased about the market, and I do rather suspect if you surveyed ordinary householders who live nearby, you wouldn't find a lot of opposition and would find considerable enthusiasm. Anyway, hopefully there will be room for a wide range of types of business in the long run. Thinking about other areas I know that have markets, it doesn't seem as though they are otherwise a desert for local businesses.

fleurie

18-11-2013 11:11 AM

I am another person who never shops for food on Dartmouth Road. I have two small children, not a snowball's chance in hell of browsing there, though I do very occasionally pop into Bunka or Stag and Bow on my own.

I have cancelled my delivered veg box, but really that is the only change in my spending habits, the only place I shop in Forest Hill is Sainsburys.

I would question too any argument that it has caused bad feeling in the local community. Everyone I know is delighted to have the market. As far as I can see local food stalls do have a presence don't they? I saw Aga's little deli there a while ago. The market in no way stops me going to the other shops in Dartmouth Road, it is my children who do that.

slondon

18-11-2013 11:32 AM

Spot on fleurie and others too. I don't think for one moment the market has divided the community - I just think it has unsettled one or two businesses who are letting their anxiety and dare I say self-interest have a wider audience than it deserves. I think people in Forest Hill and surrounding areas tend to be very community minded. I also think it's a dangerous path to go down to say only "local" people should be allowed to trade locally.

Tenbybelle

18-11-2013 11:33 AM

I admire the optimism but the thread has 139 posts so I suspect there is a bit of a debate.

There is loads of space at the market - so not really sure why any of the locals who want a stall can't have one and if they dont - well that surely ends any concerns.

For a community that says how friendly it is we do seem to be pretty good at ruffling feathers.

Fjgb

18-11-2013 11:57 AM

There may be 139 posts but the vast majority are in support of the Farmers Market and the dissenting voices are the same few people. I appreciate that some of the local traders in Dartmouth Rd need to look out for their own businesses, but I don't think their voice should be the only ones considered in this. The amount of people who go to the market every week speaks volumes and I've not met anyone locally who doesn't think it's a great addition to our local area. The majority of things sold at the market aren't even available elsewhere in SE23 other than at Sainsburys, unless it's meat (and the Butchery is up there anyway) or deli items (ditto Aga's).

Pages (11): « First < Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Car Crashed through fence in Horniman gardens nottinghillbilly 2 2,175 19-04-2023 05:55 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Horniman Gardens on BBC Gardeners' World StuartG 0 2,476 07-08-2022 12:28 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  The Original Jerk Cookout @ The Horniman Gardens 31st July 2021 samuelsen 0 2,775 17-06-2021 06:05 PM
  Feedback on the Horniman ideas for the future of the Museum and Gardens HornimanMuseum 12 9,757 30-07-2019 03:42 PM
  Carols tomorrow at the Farmers' Market isaglanzer 0 2,935 20-12-2013 11:17 AM
Last Post: isaglanzer
  Horniman Gardens works roz 32 36,148 06-08-2013 01:43 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman Xmas concert and market etc roz 1 4,398 20-11-2011 06:04 PM
Last Post: roz
  Horniman Museum and Gardens vipes 293 271,314 07-10-2010 11:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Should the Jerk Cookout be at Horniman Gardens? admin 4 8,764 17-08-2009 01:21 PM
Last Post: roz
  Picnic in Horniman Gardens - Sunday, June 7th michael 6 11,582 07-06-2009 05:00 PM
Last Post: robwinton