SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Ex Honor Oak Pub
mcbain23

19-09-2013 12:49 PM

Can anyone confirm this latest tidbit to hit the HOP rumour mill - Tesco have bought the now-defunct Honor Oak Pub site, and are planning to put a Tesco Metro in there..

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

19-09-2013 01:31 PM

Would it be big enough for a store? If im thinking of the right pub. Brockley Rise / St Germans Rd ?

davidl

19-09-2013 08:55 PM

Haven't Tesco already got plans to open a small store in Crofton Park (Sevenoaks Road, if I remember rightly)?

I am still holding out my hopes for a new tenant to reopen the place as a good pub with good beer and food who can make it work within the terms Punch Taverns insist upon.

Bcm

20-09-2013 06:25 AM

I hate Tesco with a burning passion so hope not in this case.

Sherwood

20-09-2013 07:33 AM

"If Tesco did pubs!"

lacb

20-09-2013 07:54 AM

The Sevenoaks Rd site is having a tricky time with planning permission so it would not be a surprise if Tesco are looking elsewhere. At least as recently as July, I think that Punch Taverns were still looking for a pub tenant. Hope that is still the case but I couldn't find it listed on their website.

Belle

20-09-2013 08:27 AM

That's an interesting rumour! Tesco is not my favourite shop by any stretch of the imagination but at least it would serve the local community and I imagine like all convenience stores it will be very popular (the CO-OP on Waldram Road is always packed). Better that than a pub that's not used by the community or just a building that stands empty for years.

Mr_Numbers

20-09-2013 08:45 AM

Parking could be an interesting challenge - that and having space for lorry deliveries.

Codrington Brill

20-09-2013 11:30 AM

I hate to disappoint with planning stuff again but the change of use wouldn't require planning permission so don't expect a planning application for the change of use.

Mr_Numbers

20-09-2013 11:35 AM

You mean you can change a pub into a Tescos without planning permission but you can't change a dry cleaner's into an estate agent?

I know absolutely zero about planning so maybe I've misunderstood either your posting or the dry cleaner/Peddar discussion. But if that's right, that seems nuts. There are, at the very least, traffic implications with pub/Tesco but not with dry cleaner/office, surely.

Codrington Brill

20-09-2013 11:47 AM

To clarify, you can change a pub into a tescos (or any other shop) without the need for a planning application.

Mr_Numbers

20-09-2013 11:49 AM

That astounds me. I'm not doubting you - I'm just astounded! Thanks for clarifying.

Is there any logic in the planning rules?

Erekose

20-09-2013 01:29 PM

Mr Numbers you can check it all out on the Planning Portal:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permiss...hangeofuse

lillam

22-09-2013 01:22 PM

hopefully the council will squash that plan in crofton park - Jay's Budgens is doing the job of tesco better than tesco can, and him and his family have had a shop in the community for years.

bring back st.germains pub!

admin
Administrator

26-09-2013 08:19 AM

The Honor Oak Pub now has squatters who have put up this sign:

Photo taken by @sarcasticfringe.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Nellienoodle

26-09-2013 08:31 AM

I live on St Germans Road so I have taken a lot of interest (my husband calls it nosiness!) in the site. When the pub closed and was gutted, I spoke to a man working there and he told me the Britannia Pub Company (owner of the Half Moon and the Herne) had bought it and that they planned to open in two weeks. Well clearly that didnt happen. The man also told me they were really pleased with the purchase as there are so few local pubs. About a month ago I saw someone measuring up. I hoped they had decided they need to spend some cash on it before opening up. But it sounds like it was Mr Tesco...

I really hope it doesn't turn into a Tesco. Ignoring any access issues etc. wouldn't the old indian restaurant on the corner be a better site?

There is a real need for a top notch community pub. We used to use the pub regularly and it was one of the reasons we decided to buy on St Germans Road. I know the old manager had a hard time of it, but it didnt offer what we need - I got fed up of my husband moaning about the c**p beer and being served a "latte" (nescafe mixed with milk and served with a straw). I'm sure with some hard work and style the pub would a great success again. I would love to run it but Id find it hard not to drink/eat the profits away...

rmurraywest

26-09-2013 10:25 AM

Well at the moment the pub seems to be inhabited by some quite savvy squatters - who have installed a doorbell, and have kindly put their email address on the front door.

Mr_Numbers

26-09-2013 10:39 AM

This from the Gov.uk website:

https://www.gov.uk/squatting-law/overview

Southlonder

26-09-2013 11:11 AM

Hmm surpring given the law changes dont they realise that they face jail? There are some well documented cases recently where this has happened

oh well they must be morons Rolleyes

daveherne

26-09-2013 11:36 AM

it had metal shutters up so they will be in trouble if they caused damage.

https://www.gov.uk/squatting-law/squatti...properties

but as i image t is not yet 28 days since they moved in they will have to leave within a few days when IPO issued.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields