SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] Last »
Where did you live before you came to SE23?
isaglanzer

21-09-2013 10:43 PM

Brixton, Clapham and then Stockwell before coming here three and a half years ago. Didn't realise until we moved in how much nicer it would feel than the SW areas we were quite fond of before - we live up on the hill behind the Horniman and have tranquillity, huge views, big gardens and green space everywhere. The centre of Forest Hill has become much more interesting over the time since we moved in, and this feels like an area that local people are really engaged with. Much more feeling of community and friendlier than the SW areas we lived in before. Better secondary schools and maybe a pub closer by would be welcome, but for an area of London where prices are still not as astronomical as most, it's amazingly nice.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rymerster

22-09-2013 12:15 AM

Moved here from Darlington, Co. Durham in late 2009, best thing I ever did.

I knew the area beforehand as I had to come through FH to get to a work premises just past the Horniman. Fell in love with the place. As I was in a mobile job I took the chance to move down.

The only issue I have is that I doubt I'll be able to buy a property in London for some time - but that's not just a Forest Hill issue. Living here is worth it - I'm happy to rent for the foreseeable.

MightyMouse

22-09-2013 04:40 PM

Moved down to London in 2000 (before that I was in Leicester, Durham and Liverpool) - and my first chunk of years were around Kingston upon Thames (Surbiton, Old Malden). Then I moved east to share with a friend in Forest Gate (bleurgh) and then rented a room in Motspur Park, so back in my old neck of the woods.

However I found out about Forest Hill about 3 years ago and liked the village-y feel, so when it was time to rent a place of my own again, last summer, I finally made it here. So glad I did - good transport connections (though at the same time I changed jobs to work in Paddington, so couldn't be further away, really!), an interested community, lots of nice cafés and places to eat out... I'm in my early forties but single and childless. A lot of places in SW London are very family-focussed - it's all about the semis and the schools, and there's not much else in the neighbourhood. Whilst I know from what I read on this forum that those things matter here too, and I encounter a reasonable amount of yummy-mummy-ness here, I also don't feel out of place here as someone more interested in food and drink and things to do that don't revolve around children. I like that Forest Hill suits lots of different types of people for lots of different reasons.

The only other place I'd consider would be Surbiton again, but it's phenomenally expensive there (always was), so despite my (still SW living) best friend's constant nagging at me to come back, I doubt that will happen.

Sad I can't afford to buy here now, but have realised that my priority is to live somewhere I like rather than having a mortgage (had one before and it all went horribly wrong with subsidence and a pretty hopeless management company). So I expect I'll stay put for some time to come :-)

Nomadic

25-09-2013 01:30 PM

I've not found a single one of you who is unhappy! Will be popping down shortly to have a look.

foresthillfan

27-09-2013 09:44 PM

Lived in FH for about twenty years and two of my children went to school here. Sydenham Girls is a really good local comp by the way but don't get too hung up on schools, a lot of kids do poorly at Askes which is held up to be a really good school! Really good area for families and its arty credentials seem to be increasing week by week!

Pico
No longer registered

28-09-2013 12:57 PM

Before SE23 we have lived in Chelsea, Spitalfields, Shoreditch, Tufnell Park and I have lived in Essex before that.

This area is the perfect mix of proximity to zone one and villagey community vibe. To me it feels a bit like Primrose Hill with our hilly green contours, it is starting to show the signs of developing a creative Shoreditch influenced food/art scene and the locals are incredibly passionate about this space. We were impressed by all the noise created for the local park and the local hospital. It's definitely the sort of place I would raise a family in. Apparently the schools are good. People seem to look out for each other and in short time I have found myself saying hello to many of the locals.

My partner and I bought 2010 and it looks like we got in just in time because the prices are rocketing up. I can't see us moving until retirement and only if we really want a garden etc.

SEN

29-09-2013 08:43 AM

Apologies for being bit late to this thread, great to see so many positive comments about SE23. Moved here over 20 years ago from home counties and never looked back. Two highlghts for me are having a friendly DVD rental shop (For Your eyes only) and another, which is stretching it a bit, but humour me - the Istanbul Mediterranean grocers at the bottom end of Sydenham Road - not much to look at outside, but is there anything foodie that shop doesn't stock? And now we have a Farmers market every Saturday I hear (at Hornimans).

What would I change? Pedestrianise Dartmouth Road at the Forest Hill end.

Someone mentioned it would be nice to have better secondary schools - bit of a hobby horse for me, so apologies for repeating what I said on others threads. I agree with Foresthillfan, our two locals - Forest Hill (boys) and Sydenham (girls) are great schools. They achieve above average results, above average for London - while still taking kids from the whole community, and, when you drill down into the detail, results are often very close to, and on some criteria better than, those achieved by selective schools. They need our appreciation and support for the great work they do.

This post was last modified: 29-09-2013 08:45 AM by SEN.

hoona

29-09-2013 10:59 AM

Never lived anywhere other than SE London and never would. Previously lived in Camberwell, Ladywell, Brockley before moving to Honor Oak Park 3 years ago. Great schools, great community, lovely open spaces, close to London without having that snobbery of some areas west and north. Would change the amount of traffic in HOP and FH, slow the house price rises and improve some bus routes. Other than that... nothing. My husband is from deepest darkest Somerset and even he loves the area and is happy to stay!

Hamilly

01-10-2013 05:11 PM

Shuffled over from Gipsy Hill last year, where we had moved to back in 2005 from Herne Hill (where next Grange Hill?). Prior to that flat shared in East Dulwich as a singleton after escaping a couch that was my home for 6 months in Tower Hill. That takes me back to very beginning of 2000 when I headed south from Bonnie Scotland.

Forest Hill is great. My family love being so near such excellent swimming baths and library and the absolute gem that is the Horniman Museum and Gardens. It will be very interesting to see what becomes of Louise House in due course.

Our kids are not making use of the local schools as yet but we are very much enjoying the warm welcome we get from many shops on Dartmouth Road (Rob's Barbers, Laurel's Florists and Sugar Mountain to name but three).

It would be nice to see more uniform improvements to the Kirkdale area which is near where we live. The flurry of pop-ups has been great but some of the buildings and the general poor upkeep of some of the highways and byways detract from the great efforts being made by many round that neck of the woods.

As part of a young family I would recommend the area highly and I for one really feel it is on the up. Long may it continue!

Littlebelka

04-10-2013 10:29 AM

Walthamstow, New X Gate

Novels

04-10-2013 02:08 PM

Wow!
this is one of the most interesting threads on this website!!
I thought I was the only one to move around London, but I'm looking at some people's trails on this thread and they are truly fascinating!Smile
Some look almost predictable... some others almost totally random...

Thorners

08-10-2013 05:04 PM

I've lived in Forest Hill for a total of 36 hours having moved down from North London. Same story as many people I think, lived North (Crouch End, Highgate, Camden etc) for about 10 years but when it came to buying I just couldn't swallow what you get for your money.

So, after a bit of scouting out areas we settled on Forest Hill for still having the nice community feel and good shops like Crouch but we managed to get twice the square footage for the same budget.

A little early to comment on pros and cons I guess but so far very pleased to have made the move!

Nomadic

11-10-2013 11:52 AM

All,

Just to let you know I will be looking to join you in SE23. Going through mortgages now to get a deal on a one or two bed property. I will ask advice on the areas I am looking at.

Thanks again,

Dan

P1971

11-10-2013 10:09 PM

Welcome to FH Thorners and Nomadic. You won't regret living here, FH is amazing. Hope to meet you both soon. Happy dayz every day here! follow totallylocallyforesthill on twitter and fb to find out whats going on. check out The Forest Hill Society calender too. P

Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields